Llandudno Restaurants

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Osborne Bar & Grill: Osborne Bar & Grill

by sue_stone Updated May 3, 2006

Lamb Rack - yum!

During our stay in Llandudno we had dinner one night at the Osborne Bar & Grill. This restaurant had been recommended by our B&B, and were instructed to book ahead as it is very popular, particularly on the weekend.

Osborne Bar & Grill is the restaurant of the Osborne House Hotel, which is located just across the road from the beach. It is quite a fancy looking place, with its candle and chandelier lit interior, though the covered chairs don't really do it for me.

Favorite Dish: To start, Alex had the Tagliatelle with grilled vegies, pesto and parmigiana, which was very tasty. For the main course we both had the Roast Rack of Lamb with Rosemary jus. This was served on a bed of mash potato and we ordered a side of asparagus. The lamb was delicious, but the asparagus was undercooked. We washed it down with a nice bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape.

For dessert I had the Lemon Meringue Pie and Alex had the Chocolate Brownie, with Caramel Sauce and Vanilla ice cream. Both went down well.

Service throughout the evening was a little haphazard…they forgot our wine (which I rectified of course!) and weren't as friendly as they could have been. However, the atmosphere was nice and the food was good, so if you find yourself in Llandudno check it out.

• Luxury Travel

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Home Cookin': Home Cookin' - relaxed local

by sue_stone Written May 3, 2006

dinner

On our second night in Llandudno we hadn't made any arrangements for dinner, so we went for a walk and checked out our options. Anything decent seemed to be fully booked, so we opted for Home Cookin'. They didn't take reservations, so we had to queue up, but got a table in about 15 minutes

Home Cookin' is a family friendly looking place located in the heart of town. If you get there earlier in the evening they will churn oyou in and out pretty quick, but if you arrive a little later you will be left to sit for a while if you like. The table clothes are plastic for easy cleaning and the service is not the greatest, but hey, the food is cheap!

We had a bottle of wine, a large bottle of water, two main meals and one dessert and the bill was only £28, which is very reasonable. Unfortunately it wasn't fabulous, but it did the trick.

Favorite Dish: I had the Roast Lamb and Alex had the Roast Beef. The servings were a good size, with plenty of vegetables. For dessert we shared a surprisingly tasty Bread & Butter pudding. We had a very average bottle of red, but for less than £10 in a restaurant what do you expect!

When the wine was bought to us, it was dumped on the table, already opened. They didn't ask us if it was the correct wine or let us taste it first. They also didn't give us glasses. Sigh. Maybe I expect too much ; )

• mustertal's Profile Photo

Haulfe Gardens Cafe: Try their Cakes

by mustertal Written Oct 23, 2008

Vie from Haulfre Gardens.

Haulfe Gardens cafe can be found as the name suggests , in Haulfre gardens.
    It's a nice place to sit and enjoy a cup of something after walking along the walk way from the West shore or visiting the gardens. Family run, this is a very busy, popular, little place for to stop off. They also sell gifts and local delicacies.

Favorite Dish: They do a good ploughman's lunch and toasted sandwiches, But, I had a tuna sandwich that came with salad, which I enjoyed very much, washed down with a pot of tea, others in our party had coffee and fruit juice.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Le Moulin Rouge: A little bit of Gallic life

by sourbugger Written Nov 8, 2006

There are a number of interesting cafes that have sprung up in the last few years in llandudno, leaving at least a pale imitation of the continental 'cafe culture'.

The Moulin rouge is one such example, with a rather knackered toy windmill standing on a pole outside the cafe to advertise it's presence.

Inside (unlike the original in Paris) you wont find a topless floorshow (thankfully), but there will be a range of french icons such as the Eiffel tower, and a scaled down version of one of those Octagonal Parisien advertising hoardings.

Favorite Dish: The menu consists of jacket potatoes, cakes and sandwiches. The attempt at the 'French' styple begins to falter after a whlie. In the list of sandwiches (an english word I'm sure) it begins in a Gallic enough way with 'Jambon et fromage', but descends into 'Stilton and hot bacon' and 'Coronation chicken'. Now forgive my ignorance, but they don't sound very french to me !

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Fountains Cafe: All very modern and funky

by sourbugger Written Nov 14, 2006

From : PDPhoto.org

The fountains cafe on upper Mosyn street is a welcome addition to the range of cafes in llandudno. It serves 'Costa Coffee' (always a safe bet) although it looks nothing like a standard Costa Coffe joint.

With leather sofas, a smart cocktail bar, big picture windows, soothing television images set in big picture fames and various drapery hanging from the ceiling, you can get the picture.

They serve a impressive fried breakfast which I gladly availed myself of.

The staff are freindly and welcoming, just ignore the sign on the door about no children (during the door), it gets quite lively at night, especially in the cellar bar.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Captain's Table: Needs must

by sandysmith Updated Feb 16, 2003

summit sustinence

We hadn't planned on being on the Orme for so long so didn't have much provisions with us. Anyway with most of the buildings being closed on the summit in February we were glad that at least this cafe was open and we could get a hot drink and snack. The meals in here were nothing special but kept us going for the rest of the afternoon.

• stevezero's Profile Photo

Haulfre Tea Rooms: Great place for a cuppa

by stevezero Written Nov 14, 2005

Haulfre Tea Rooms

After a good walk up the hill to Haulfre Gardens, what better than to enjoy a refreshing cup of tea, and a scone. You can sit in the window and get amazing views over Llandudno. If its nice you can even sit outside

• Trains

• lomi's Profile Photo

Fat Cat: I drank too much at the Wine Bar

by lomi Updated May 29, 2013

A funky wine bar to hang out it. The menu is inspired and the food great. Good choice of wines

Licensing Hours

11am – 11pm Monday – Saturday
    12am – 10.30pm Sunday

Favorite Dish: Cod wrapped in bacon on a bed of mash.

We arrived on Thursday evening and were offered the cocktail of the day free with our meal for 9.99 GBP each.

A pity it only arrived after we had eaten, as the waitress forgot our drinks as she spent nearly the whole of our meal talking to the only other couple in the restaurant part (walk through the wine bar and up the steps).

I have recently heard this winebar is being closed down, I will check it out. There is always Wetherspoons, so I will write about that next...

• Business Travel
    • Trains

• lomi's Profile Photo

Martin's: Restaurant with Rooms

by lomi Updated Oct 16, 2005

chef

This tiny place has an amazingly cosmopolitan menu for such a small seaside Welsh town. I am comparing it with the many hotels in the area which are quite standard, touristy and impersonal by comparison.

The rooms are decorated to first class standards and the food excellent. Service friendly, efficient, and professional, but a bit quite if you are dining on your own. Seats about 18.

Favorite Dish: Sea bass was terrific - wine menu excellent

• antistar's Profile Photo

Indian: Asia Restaurant

by antistar Written Aug 1, 2010

The Asia, Llandundo

Decent Indian, with good service, and reasonable value for money. It gets quite busy, even on week nights, so you might want to reserve ahead. But they will seat you on comfy sofas, and serve you a beer, while you wait for a seat to become free. If you get a window seat, you'll get a pleasant sea view.

Home Cookin': A big queue

by davesut Written Oct 7, 2008

note teh smoking area recently arrived outside

In Llandudno we always go to a cafe, this is the most popular place around and you are lucky to get there at tea time and not see a queue outside. Good traditional British Fayre with fresh vegetables served as a side and good value BUT queuing outside I'm not sure about. There is another branch of this place down the road at Rhos on Sea called 'Home from Home Cookin'

Buttercups: Buttercups

by davesut Written Oct 7, 2008

A little classier and more expensive than Home Cookin just a few doors away, this place serves up traditional British food. In the evening the place styles itself as a Bistro and used to change its menu. The drawback we found was that the children's menu was limited and when we look in the window now, there never appears to be any families in there, maybe that is the way they and their clients like it.

Cambridge Restaurant: Not the best

by davesut Written Oct 7, 2008

I'm afraid this is one to avoid. Situated on the high street next to Woolworths the menu promises traditional British food at a reasonable price. The food was mostly prepared from frozen and pre- prepared dishes that were warmed up in the microwave. The last straw was using tinned custard on the trifle. They did do a cracking and reasonably priced chocolate milkshake but not a place I will return to in a hurry. This place is open into the evening which is a rarity in Llandudno for this type of family restaurant as many close their doors at 6pm.

Fortes and Carwaliders: ICe Cream parlour

by davesut Updated Apr 4, 2011

Both places worth a visit, Fortes has been a British institution for many years and recently refurbished restaurant adds to the good experience. Some of the best ice cream that I have ever tasted however is Cadwaliders which has a few outlets in North Wales but as you can see here closed from 6pm.

Favorite Dish: Vanilla is always best for an ice cream connoisseur

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Fat Cat Cafe Bar: Chain but nice

by rexvaughan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Crowd in front of the Fat Cat

I normally have an aversion to any restaurant that is part of a chain but I have been in several in the UK that is making me think they are different from the US. Our stay in Llandudno took us to the Fat Cat Cafe Bar. We enjoyed a nice light dinner out front virtually on the sidewalk as it was a nice day (we had great weather in Wales and tried to convince the locals that we deserved the credit for it). I what they called the original burger with chips and slaw. After I ordered it I thought: pretty brave for a Yank to order a burger in the UK. However, it was very good as were the chips and slaw. My wife had a camembert baked with olive oil which was served with croutes and cranberry chutney. She also enjoyed her meal. We both had a glass of red wine (from Portugal and Argentina no less) which also went down quite well. Cost for the whole meal was 23.20 GBP.

Instant Answers: Llandudno

Comments

Llandudno Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Llandudno restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Llandudno sightseeing.