Talgarth Church is named after Princess Gwendoline who was the 11th daughter of Brychan Brycheiniog, King of Brycheiniog (Breconshire) in 500 AD. Gwendoline is supposedly buried in the Churchyard which is thought to be the site of a Celtic Monastery of that period. The earliest remains of the Church is an internal wall section which has been dated as being from the 13th Century. The Church has been re-built and renovated several times over the centuries and the present Church is the result of extensive rebuilding in 1873. The Tower is a 15th C construction and now houses six bells which were cast in 1724. The vestry at the back of the church was used as the National School in the 1850's. An archaeological assessment of the Church graveyard revealed part of a paved trackway and the postholes of three 11th C timber houses as well as some 12th C pottery.
The Railway at Talgarth was openied in 1864, closed to passengers in 1961 and finally closed to goods traffic in 1963. Two companies operated over this section of the line. The Midland Railway from Swansea to Birmingham via Brecon and Hereford and the Cambrian Railway ran from Brecon to Newtown via Three Cocks junction. The Railway was laid along the route of the older Tramway which was created by an Act of Parliament in 1811 and was completed in 1816.
The railway station buildings can be seen from the Town end of the Car Park - note the fire buckets hanging on the outside. The buildings are now occupied and private property but you can see remains of the platform and some of the light fittings from the footpath running alongside the road.
Talgarth Tower House was built in the 13th Century and is one of only two in Breconshire. It was thought to be of similar design to the Pele Towers of Northern England but has been found to be 300 years earlier. The original tower was square and has a flat top and battlements, the pitched roof replaced this in the 18th century. The front extension is Victorian whilst the one at the reas is Edwardian and was added in 1902. The oridianl entrance door faced the square but it was at first floor level and was reached by wooden steps. It was a fortified dwelling, possible intended to defent the crossing of the river Ennig and to guard the town. In later time the Tower was used as a base to collect rents, tithes etc by the Ashburnham estate.
Nowadays the Tower houses the Tourist Information Centre which has a great selection of leaflets, maps books and souvenirs.