Eclectic/International, Cardiff

4 out of 5 stars 9 Reviews

• Tempus restaurant on ground floor of hotel
    Tempus restaurant on ground floor of...
    by SallyM
    Tarragon Chicken at Ma Potter's
    by HORSCHECK
    Pizza Hut on Queen Street, Cardiff
    by spidermiss
  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Ma Potter's

by HORSCHECK Updated Oct 6, 2012

Ma Potter's is a British restaurant chain with a full menu of chargrilled specialities as well as pasta, pizza and vegetarian meals. Prices are reasonable.

I had a Tarragon chicken (7.95 GBP) and a Pint of Boddington's (2.80 GBP). A 10 % service charge was directly added to the bill.

Tarragon Chicken at Ma Potter's
    • Trains

• La Brasserie: Great food done well (as opposed to well done!)

by siggyincardiff Written Feb 6, 2004

La Brasserie (and Le Monde, which is just upstairs) were apparently set up by a local businessman who has since moved on (and opened several other good restaurants in the area!) but it's stayed in keeping with its original ambience. It's fairly simply laid out, wooden tables and floor, intimate lighting (without being so dark that you can't see the food!). You go up to the counter to order and can actually view the steak or seafood or whatever as it's on display. It's always good, fairly simple food cooked as it should be. An extra plus is the wine cellar, one of the most extensive in the city (can be very pricey but there's some perfectly good wines at the cheaper end of the list).

Favorite Dish: There are loads of good dishes on the menu, any of the steaks are good for starters, and Chicken Brasserie is also great (if a bit rich). My personal favourite, though, has got to be the game pate starter - unbelievably delicious! I would really recommend this restaurant to anyone other than vegetarians (unless they eat fish, which there is an extensive selection of).

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Mulberry Street: Tapas International Style

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Apr 27, 2009

The stylish and modern Mulberry Street, in the heart of Cardiff's fashionable Llandaff Village, was quite a delight. We browsed the menu for a short while, wandered up the street to an Italian place that had been recommended, then strolled back down to sample the almost irresistable menu that's just that little bit different from the norm.

From the moment we opened the door we felt welcome. It had turned from a rather dull day to a stunning evening and although the air outside was quite chilly, the warmth inside enveloped us as we were seated. There was a new smell in the room, and only two other people in the place when we arrived, so I mistakenly assumed that it was going to be quiet. To be honest, on a Wednesday in the middle of a recession I wasn't expecting a packed house - but that's what we got later on and I was so glad that we were early birds:-)

Favorite Dish: The menu is exciting and different. There are perhaps five standard a la carte main courses and maybe three starters, but in addition to this are twenty or thirty "small meals". These I refer to as tapas, because they resemble the Spanish style small meals, but that's where the similarity ends. There was a little mushroom risotto, a chinese style spicy prawn dish, large fresh sardines in home made tomato sauce, battered fresh squid with home made aioli, a divine blue cheese salad - the list went on and on.

I wanted to have a full meal of these little dishes as I found it impossible to isolate just a few, but my three companions fancied something more substantial. We therefore shared the above five mini dishes, licking the plate for each and every one; then the other three each had the belly of pork and I had the steak. I was just a little disappointed in the steak as it was cold and not rare as requested. Everything else was just perfect.

We just had to try dessert. I was simply amazed by my warm coconut rice pudding with malibu froath and fresh mango. It was totally different and quite divine. Definitely the highlight of the evening.

For five starters, four main courses, two desserts, two bottles of wine, water, teas and coffees the bill was about £130. Exceptional value for money.

I left longing to go back, and wishing we had someplace like this at home.

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Tempus at Tides Restaurant at St David's Hotel: Fine Dining

by SallyM Written Apr 5, 2012

This is the restaurant of the St David's Hotel and Spa. I'm not a huge fan of hotel dining generally, but we had one night's dinner (up to £30 per head) included in our room rate.

It was very much a 'fine dining' experience, with food served fashionably on wooden platters, slates, anything but plates, in fact.

Bread was not provided free of charge, but we opted to share a plate of freshly baked bread, oil, balsamic and green Noccelata olives for £4.

My starter of ‘Beetroot, Goats Cheese and Endive salad’ (£7) was a little sparse, consisting of 3 slices of beetroot, one narrow slice of goat’s cheese, 2 endive leaves, 2 pea shoots, a lemon crostini and some beetroot space dust lurking under the cheese. It tasted good, though. My husband had potted Brixham shrimps with lemon crostini.

For mains we had ‘Welsh Mussels with Cider, Chorizo and Leek Cream (£12) and ‘Breast of Chicken Stuffed with Toulouse Sausage, Basil Mash, Sun Blush Tomato Sauce’ (£17). The helpings of these were rather more generous.

Desserts were ‘Cherry Clafoutis, Crème Fraiche’ (£7), served on a slate with two fresh cherries and a smear of crème fraiche’ and ‘Chocolate Fondant, Horlicks Ice Cream’ (£7) - a perfectly executed chocolate fondant with scoop of ice-cream (though no detectable Horlicks flavour), linked by what can only be described as a chocolate skid-mark.

Favorite Dish: I think on the whole the desserts were the best part of the meal. The cherry clafoutis was delicious, and the chocolate fondant oozed beautifully. The Horlicks ice-cream tasted more like vanilla, but that was really not a problem!

Tempus restaurant on ground floor of hotel
    • Spa and Resort
    • Luxury Travel

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Toby Carvery: turkey's not just for Christmas

by uglyscot Updated Nov 24, 2013

Toby Carvery is a bar and restaurant with a fantastic lunch offer we found of £5 per head. It consisted of a two-course meal in a very popular restaurant, self service . Although crowded we had no difficulty getting a seat as the inside has so many nooks and crannies.
    Best value for money. And available till 7pm.
    2013 update. The price has gone up .

Favorite Dish: The roast turkey [with optional beef or pork with it]. Then you fill your plate with the vegetables[ roast potatoes., boiled potatoes.peas, broccoli, carrots,cauliflower and cheese, mushrooms, roasted onions,], Yorkshire pudding, gravy and selection of sauces if wanted.

The ice cream with choice of sauce was also delicious.
    To drink we had apple/mango juice, and the orange / cranberry juice was great too..
    It cost £12.50 for the two of us- and the helpings could be as large [or as little] as you choose.

Roast turkey and all the trimmings Toby Carvery again Toby Carvery Pattypoo on way to lunch Toby Carvery and car park

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Pillars: Incredible food, amazing value

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Apr 26, 2011

Cardiff is full of surprise eateries, and Pillars stands out among them. It's not your high class glamour restaurant, but the food is as good (if not better at times) as any you'll get anywhere.

Pillars is enteres by a small door of the main street and as it has little road frontage you would be forgiven for assuming it will be dingy inside. It's not. Tiled steps lead down to a vast interior where room leads into room of nicely spaced tables and chairs.

Service is of buffet type and you can get anything from a bowl of soup to a panini to a full meal and dessert.

I visited twice during this trip to Cardiff in April 2009. On both occasions I ordered a salad. This consisted of a meat or veg main portion such as breast of chicken, prawns, quiche etc plus my choice of four different side salads. I opted for sliced mushrooms, pasta salad, rice salad, and crunchy vegetable salad as my side salads. This cost me a mere £5.00. I was astonished at the value. One of my companions had fish and chips, another had cottage pie. Both of those meals were £5 or less each.

Instead of a dessert after lunch I opted for a mochachino con panna - a giant coffee/chocolate drink with whipped cream that was every bit as rich as any dessert. This cost about £2.

Favorite Dish: Every dish here is fresh and tasty. The prices are so good that they have a huge turnover in guests and nothing is wasted or re used.

Service is very pleasant and tables are rapidly cleared.

You never feel under pressure to vacate your table and the tables are well spaced.

Very highly recommended.

NOTE: Returning in April 2011 I would make one comment - the bathroom facilities are not the most attractive.

Entrance to Pillars Salad looks much nicer in reality Interior image Mocha chino con panna Interior

• Eclectic/International - Elements: swanky champagne bar

by IawnIawn Updated Apr 4, 2011

This new champagne bar and restaurant is clearly for those who want to impress, and unless you're wearing an Armani suit and have an extensive property portfolio, you may not fit in here.

However, if you're after some unusual, gormet dishes, then this is the place to head. The restaurant serves breakfasts of pancakes with crispy bacon or bolied eggs with marmite soilders; lunches of foie gras with caramel popcorn or carpaccio of Welsh beef and an a la carte menu including roasted breast of pigeon or pan fried black bream.

Portions aren't large - the restaurant works on a 'grazing' concept, similar to tapas; but the food is good. The bar also serves a wide range of champagnes, including Veuve Clicquot and Krug.

This is a stylish and expensive bar and restaurant. One to head to for business deals or a special occassion.

Favorite Dish: grilled scallops with cauliflour puree and spiced rasin syrup

• La Brasserie: La Brasserie

by panamapete- Written Aug 24, 2002

You can see the fresh cuts of meat, fish, shellfish, lobsters etc...whatever they have got at market that day.
    Choose what you like, and tell them how you want it cooked.
    The cooking area is in the middle of the restaurant.
    Atmosphere? ..Low beams, Board floor with sawdust,very good welcoming staff. Personal supervision of owner.
    Good wine list, including Antipodean, South American etc., as well as the expected European classics.

Favorite Dish: Steaks, Lamb, Fish. etc. all freshly cooked

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut: Cheap and Cheerful!

by spidermiss Updated Dec 14, 2012

I fancied going somewhere inexpensive for dinner so I decided to visit Pizza Hut, an international pizza chain restaurant, in the city centre.

I did have to wait a bit, it being a Saturday afternoon and the city centre was very busy, before i was seated but I was served fairly promptly.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a lasagne with garlic bread. At Pizza Hut, every main course comes with a free unlimited salad. I considered my meal good value for money at 12.50 gbp (December 2012) including a soft drink and tip.

I had a good satisfying meal and won't hesitate to have a meal at Pizza Hut again.

Pizza Hut on Queen Street, Cardiff