Italian, Cardiff

Giovanni's Park Place

ASK: Great Italian

by Balam Written Mar 1, 2011

ASK

We had dinner at ASK on a very snowy visit to Cardiff in december.
    I had a lovely meal, Brouchetta to start followed by a lovely Pasta dish (the name of which i can't remember) and then Profeteroles.
    The food was lovely and i would love to go again.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

ASK restaurant

by HORSCHECK Updated Jun 5, 2005

ASK restaurant Cardiff

Cardiff has loads of Italian restaurants; ASK is one of them. They serve all kinds of pizza and pasta dishes and have day specials written on a chalkboard. I had a Pizza Tuna with chilli and rocket salad, which was a bit too spicy for me. Nevertheless, the meals are delicious and the service is friendly.

• Trains

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Pizza Express

by HORSCHECK Updated Jun 5, 2005

VT meeting at Pizza Express

After a few pints of beer, Gwilym, Sean and me felt hungry, so we gave Pizza Express a try as it is situated close to The Goat Major. Pizza Express seems to be one of the better British Pizza restaurant chains. The Cardiff restaurant is spacious, modern and quiet. The pizzas were delicious and inexpensive.

• Trains

Bella Italia: Great Ambience and food

by Myfanwe Updated Apr 4, 2011

Bella Italia is situated within the Red Dragon Complex at Cardiff Bay. It is one of the UK wide chain of restaurants which serve wholesome Italian Food.

You have the choice of an outside seating area, which is ideal for watching passers by as they mull around the complex. Alternatively you can sit inside the cosy restaurant which has been lavishly decorated with mediterranean colours, velour drapes and rustic shelves to make your Italian experience more real.

The food is great and the service is excellent. I have been here several times and have not been disappointed once. There is a friendly atmosphere here and the staff do their utmost to make sure you are satified with your meal. They also have a Childrens menu available so a meal here can be combined with a trip to the cinema or bowling.

Favorite Dish: The Penne Marco Polo was very nice, it's Sliced Duck with spring onions in a delicious plum sauce served with Penne pasta.

Carluccio's: Bellissimo!

by Balam Updated Jun 26, 2013

Carluccio's in Cardiff has a Fantastic Deli with loads of fresh stuff like cheese, Rice Balls, Salad, Olives, Frittata, Cured Hams, Salami, as well as cakes etc, and of course Pasta, Olive Oils, biscuits and loads of other stuff.
    W"e called in for something to eat on a lovely sunny day, we ate inside then finished our drinks outside in the sun, it was really nice.
    The service was really good and the food was lovely! I had Garlic Bread followed by Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli with a couple of Bottles of Peroni.

Ask: Great food & atmosphere

by Myfanwe Updated Jan 7, 2011

Ask Cardiff

Ask is a lovely Italian Restaurant which is part of a wider chain of Restauants located throughout the UK. Ask in Cardiff is ideally situated on Mill Lane right in the Centre of the City. The restaurant has a light and airy feel to it with picture windows looking out onto Mill Lane and the adjacent Wyndham Arcade. We were seated downstairs near to the open plan kitchen so could keep an eye on the chef!! The service here was impeccable and the food really delicious. We shared a bruschtta to start, I had a seafood ravioli dish for my main course and tiramisu for desert. Gareth had a spicy meatball dish for main course and profiteroles for desert. We were both really satisfied with our meals and will definitely be eating at Ask again. The best thing about eating here is that i got a big discount off the bill by using my Sainsbury's Nectar card points.

Favorite Dish: All of them!!

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Positano: People-watching Italian style

by aaaarrgh Written Jun 12, 2006

Positano is in the heart of Cardiff on a corner directly opposite Cardiff's 15th century church. With big glass windows looking towards Cardiff Market and Old Library, it is a great location for watching Cardiff people go by.

It seems to have a slightly younger clientelle than some of the other nearby restaurants. The food is quite alright, no complaints, washed down with nice Sicilian beer. There is a good choice of pasta dishes. For the pizzas, *you* choose the topping(s). There is also a wide variety of meat dishes and, when I last visited, there was a choice of a dozen fish specialities too.

Prices were around 4.5 GBP for a starter and 10 GBP for a main dish.

Favorite Dish: I had the brocolli and spiced sausage on bruschetta for starters and, for the main dish, penne with asparagus, mushrooms and tomato.

Opposite Positano are two other italian restaurants (where the view is not so good). Topo Gigio has an open kitchen but, because it rarely gets full enough to sit upstairs these days, you are unlikely to see your food being cooked. What a shame!

Zizzi's: A great restuarant

by Myfanwe Updated Feb 26, 2011

Zizzi's

Zizzi's is a great Italian restaurant which forms part of a UK wide chain of restaurants. Zizzi's in Cardiff is is situated smack bang in the City Centre, very close to the Castle. It occupies the former Cardiff Guildhall evident by the great stonework on the exterior and very, very high ceilings inside.

I have eaten here a few times and have not been disappointed once. The food and service are great and the restaurant has a lovely spacious feel to it.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Positano: Positano gets a negatore!

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Exterior of Positano

I had eaten here three years ago and so delighted was I with it at the time that I insisted on dragging my little group there for Saturday lunch.

We arrived shortly after 12.30pm and the place was already crowded, forcing us to queue at the door to get in. We were second in the fast moving queue so we didn't mind.

However, one of our group was in a wheelchair and we quickly discovered that this rendered us invisible to some of the staff. There were four in our little group and as we stood there queueing one of the waiters beckoned to a group standing behind us and asked how many were in their group. "Four", they answered, and were beckoned ahead. I objected and the offending waiter looked at me as if seeing me for the first time, asking how many were in my group. I responded "Four" and was tempted to add "unless you are counting the wheelchair as an extra person" but I didn't. Quickly he passed on the responsibility for us to a colleague of his and we were seated.

The service was almost intolerably slow - probably something to do with the new cut price menu. I saw people get up and leave without ordering.

I imagine it would be far nicer at night as the food is indeed good - see below.

Favorite Dish: There is a special menu on offer at about 7 pounds for a main course and just under 10 for starter and main. There's a pretty good choice for this.

I order from another menu, a fish menu, which was more expensive but was good being hake served with a tarragon sauce. However the carrots on my vegetable side dish were withered and dried up.

My companions all ordered the chicken with mushroom sauce and this was pronounced enjoyable but nothing special.

Overall I was satisfied, but not even nearly as happy as I was three years ago. Next time I'm in Cardiff I'll be looking for a new lunch venu. There are two other Italian restaurants almost directly across the road and both offer special lunch menus at lower prices! Positano would want to watch its back I think. It's easy to lose a great clientele by trying to compete at the lower end of the market!

Giovanni's: Italiano / famiglia gallese

by Balam Written Dec 11, 2013

Giovanni's Park Place

I recently had the pleasure of dining at Giovanni's new Restaurant at Park Place in Cardiff, being near Christmas we picked from the Christmas Menu which offered a great choice of dishes offering quite a variety of flavours. For starters I had Rigatoni Napolitana which was very nice, the Pasta was cooked perfectly and the tomato sauce was nice and tasty, Mains I had Pollo alla Cacciatore This was very nice with a large piece of chicken in a lovely tomato sauce with black olives and mushrooms, It came with potatoes and veg on the side, the potatoes were the only thing that let it down really, they were nice but just pieces of potato deep fried like chips, some nice small potatoes roasted would have made it perfect. Dessert was a choice between Tiramisu or Cheesecake I opted for the cheese cake and it was lovely with a nice thick biscuit base and topped with a nice strawberry sauce..
    Vicki had Cocktail Di Gamberetti for starters (Norwegian prawns with Marie Rose Sauce) which looked very nice, for Mains and Dessert she had the same as me.
    I certainly want to eat here again.
    Wales has a lot of Italian family's and I really liked the way that people would call in have a quick espresso and a chat to the staff at the bar and then leave, something you see while your in Italy or the med but not often in UK restaurants.

Here is some info from the website:
    --------------------
    Born in Reggio Calabria, Italy and brought up in Grangetown, Cardiff – Giovanni is a true Welsh Italian. His career began by going to America and working on luxury cruise liners travelling the world. Today sees him running a collection of successful businesses, with Giovanni's Restaurants at the forefront. From humble beginnings in 1983, Giovanni's Italian Restaurant on the Hayes attracted a loyal customer base including celebrities such as Shirley Bassey, Luciano Pavarotti and Tom Jones, all of whom testify to the delicious home cooked Italian food the venue provides. This year sees the restaurant celebrating its 30th anniversary of a family tradition, and the launch of a second city center restaurant Giovanni's in Park Place. This, alongside the launch of Giovanni's highly anticipated cookery school has meant for an exceptionally busy, but exciting year and we look forward to seeing you at one of our venues soon.
    -----------------

Favorite Dish: Im hoping to be able to say what my favorite is when i have been a few more times!

• pattypoo's Profile Photo

Jamie Olivers: My favourite at moment

by pattypoo Updated Sep 7, 2011

Me with this cute little tea pot used at Jamies

This is quite a new restaraunt to Cardiff opened November 2010 and so popular you have to queue to get a table. The food in my opinion is wonderful and staff are so attentive its really nice place to go for a meal. I advise you to phone and book a table.

• jhorsfield30's Profile Photo

Citta Pizzeria Restaurant: Authentic Italian food, family run

by jhorsfield30 Written Mar 27, 2010

I went with a group of 4 people, 3 adults, 1 child.
    I ordered penne arribiatta, the other 2 had lasange and spagetti carbonara,,
    The chef could be seen cooking it at the back of the restaurant given it is a small location, but we felt a good atmosphere and given great customer service.
    The food was well cooked and tasted authentic, my personal dish had a richness and depth of flavour I have not tasted outside italy so far, the lasange was stunning and without the usual bitterness and overpowering sauce, it was cooked very well.
    The desserts are very rich and potent.
    Overall, a great dining experience, good atmosphere and good portions.

Favorite Dish: Penne arriabetta

Jamie's Italian: Great!

by Balam Written Jan 8, 2014

Jamie's Italian, Cardiff

The first Jamie’s Italian opened on George Street in Oxford in 2008 when after touring Italy in jamies Italian Escape and declaring that he “should have been Italian”, the now-famous Jamie Oliver decided he wanted to share everything that he had learnt about Italian food and eating with the rest of the world and so with his old friend and trusted mentor Gennaro Contaldo (of Two Greedy Italians fame) He opened a restaurant to reflect the passionate, humble and great sociable attitude of Italians towards food.

More Restaurants soon followed and in November 2009 Jamie’s Italian Cardiff opened boasting a most incredible chandelier and it's very own red dragon sweeping up the side of the staircase to the 1st floor which overlooks the ground floor restaurant space.

As well as the normal menu they offer a Lunch Time Special (12:00 to 18:00) which is Two courses for £12 from a selection of 2 starters and 3 mains with an option for Tiramisu to finish for an extra £3.
    We opted for the lunchtime special, I had Roasted Squash & Ricotta Bruschetta followed by Tagliatelle Bolognese which was really nice although the Bruschetta was fantastic, lovely flavours, i could have had a few more of them and that would have done, Vicki had the Bruschetta and then Mussel Linguine which i tried and was very nice, plenty of mussels and cooked with chilli, garlic, parsley, white wine & olive oil. I will be having that next time!

All in all a very lovely meal in a great place, I really love all the salami and hams hanging up around the kitchens etc, all real and all adding to the whole atmosphere of the Restaurant.

OPENING TIMES
    Monday - Saturday 12 noon - 11.00pm
    Sunday 12 noon - 10.30pm

Favorite Dish: All seem to be really nice but up to now the Turkey Milanese is the best!

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Giovannis: Best lasagne ever!

by SallyM Written Apr 5, 2012

Giovanni

Giovanni's is a long-established, traditional Italian restaurant. We came across it quite by chance, and saw that they had a £9.99 set lunch menu, so thought we would give it a try.

Minestrone soup and grilled sardines as starters were fine, but it was in the main course that we struck gold.

Favorite Dish: My husband ordered the lasagne - described on the menu simply as 'homemade meat lasagne'. What arrived was a very generous portion of the tastiest, most delicious ever. I tried a bit, so I know.

My pasta with salmon was also very good, but the lasagne was the star, setting the standard for all other lasagne to live up to. We may never be able to order lasagne anywhere else again.

• timlloydlangston's Profile Photo

Topo Gigio: Top Italian

by timlloydlangston Written Dec 5, 2003

This is a busy Italian restaurant in the centre of Cardiff that offers excellent, if simple, food. It's advisable to book as the place is very popular, esepcially at weekends.

On the down side it is a bit on the pricey side and can get very noisy - especially if you're sat under the stairs that lead to the first floor kitchen!

Favorite Dish: My favourite has to be the spaghetti carbonara, but I’d highly recommend any of their pasta dishes – especially the fish-based one’s.

Instant Answers: Cardiff