Italian, Cardiff

Rigatoni Napoletana
  • CarolynShort's Profile Photo

Zio Pin's: Zio Pin's - good value, traditional Italian

by CarolynShort Written Mar 18, 2003

Very traditional Italian restaurant, not in the centre of the city but only about 5 minutes in a taxi. Usual menu of pasta and pizza, with meat and fish main dishes and wonderful calzone

Favorite Dish: parma ham and olive pizza... or calzone

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Villa Napoli: Unbeatable Atmosphere

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Apr 26, 2011
    Inside the pretty restaurant

This wonderfully atmospheric Italian eatery is located in a prime position in the upmarket Cardiff suburb of Penarth.

Perhaps best known for the part it plays as a principal location in the hugely popular TV comedy "Gavin and Stacy", this home of great food deserves a place in the stars for so many reasons.

From the moment you walk through the doors you feel you have been transported straight to Naples. The furnishings are very non-posh, wooden, and lots of red check tablecloths abound. Waiters are Italian and greet you with a smiling "Buongiorno".

Specials of the day are displayed on blacbboards around the premises and on slates on the walls. I knew I was going to love the place as soon as I started reading the specials and saw lots of fishy delights.

We were first shown to a table for drinks and there we examined the vast menu of starters, pastas, pizzas, and main courses. Drinks arrived quickly and our food orders were taken. It wasn't lomg before we were shown to our table. It's very atmospheric here, complete with candles and dim lighting. The music was a selection of '70's and '80's hits, which suited me perfectly. I could have sat here for hours.

Favorite Dish: I started with one of the blackboard specials - prawns, smoked salmon, and crayfish with avocado and a marie rose sauce. It was very nice but I found the crayfish a little tasteless. In spite of that, the portions were generous and the platter was beautifully presented. I rather wished I had tried one of the many alternatives from the specials board. I'm sure I had crayfish before, but I never recall it being so bland.

I followed this with a very delicious dish consisting of mussels and prawns in a cream and wine sauce, served with rice.

I had no room for dessert although I did take a peek at the menu. The one thing I found was that while the menu for starters and mains was really vast, the dessert choice was miniscule.

Be sure to read the menu through - parts of it are very humorous.

The restaurant is very very busy and I wouldn't dream of showing up without a reservation.

• jhorsfield30's Profile Photo

Bella Italia Cardiff Bay: Nice surrounding, shame about service

by jhorsfield30 Written May 1, 2010

I will start by saying i've been to italy to sample the food, and give a good amount of leniency to UK restaurants when they try to re-make their dishes.. especially franchises like this one..
    I ordered a pasta carbonara, which was a reasonable portion, nice flavour and brought to table in around 12 mins,
    There is a good decor about the place, however, service was not good, we were generally left for around 20 mins after the course was finished, and when we did order a dessert, the waitress disappeared for another 20 mins, and then stated the dessert wasn't available, and presented the bill, without asking if we wanted anything else or apologies for the mixup,, Very Very Strange

Favorite Dish: It was a standard carbonara, alright...

• jhorsfield30's Profile Photo

Demiro's SteakHouse Cardiff Bay: Awesome food, pricey, but nice

by jhorsfield30 Written May 1, 2010

Rarely, very rarely I will pay top dollar for a unique dining experience, this is such an occasion, it is more expensive than some other choices in the bay, but you really get what you pay for,, usually, they will pay on live music and have a waiter singing.
    The decor inside the restaurant is truly lovely, and a great quality of service..
    I ordered lamb shank with roast potatoes, a dish I personally enjoy and has to be cooked to a certain standard otherwise I am in a bad mood.. Suffice to say, this was a pleasure to eat and a good portion size, so unfortunately no dessert for me, but very satisfied by the whole experience..

Favorite Dish: Lamb Shank, the only dish i've tried..

• Positano: Rip Off Italian

by vasos Updated Apr 4, 2011

I went there recently and the food was extremely bad. They like trays-I am talking about trays that go in the microwave. The "roasted" potatoes and vegetables with every main meal are done in this way and they are soggy and have no flavour. The scallops with broad beans and bacon were also done in the microwave(!), in the same tray. The scallops tasted like rubber. The king prawns were very bad-tasteless and very small, with no flavour at all. This place leaves a lot to be desired, it is massively overpriced for the quality of food. If you want fresh fish, go to Bayside Brasserie and if you want proper italian food with fresh ingredients and flavour, without the microwave trays, go somewhere else.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Bella Restaurant: Italian Restaurant ...

by Carmela71 Updated Mar 15, 2004

Bella Restaurant ... the only one that let us enter at around 22.20 .... jejejeje

This was in my first visit.

Even if my opinion about Italian chains is not very good, we were starving so Lassagna was not bad.

• a5floor's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut: Pizza Hut

by a5floor Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Pizza Hut

At Pizza Hut you will have Italian food. A lot of pizza's (as the names reveales). But you can also have other pasta's.

Instant Answers: Cardiff