Places to eat in Cardiff

Giovanni's Park Place
    Rigatoni Napoletana

Most Viewed Restaurants in Cardiff

• Balam's Profile Photo

The Nine Giants: Super Steaks!

by Balam Updated Aug 29, 2013

We went for a meal at the Nine Giants which is a large pub that although not a really old building it does have some character. There is a nice Beer Garden with climbing frames for children (and the odd adult) although the pub is mostly restaurant eating area there is an area that you can go into if your just having a drink where children are not allowed.
    Although it did take quite a while for our food to come (we were told on ordering that it could take an hour) as it was a Bank Holiday Monday and really busy but when it arrived it was great.
    I had a King size mega mixed grill and it was massive, loads of meat and only £8.49, you would have paid at least £14 in some places.

Every Monday is Burger Night

• Wine Tasting

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Crepeaffaire: Sweet or savoury

by uglyscot Updated Jul 10, 2013

Crepeaffaire offers Savoury crepes: ham and cheese with different additions; salmon, cream cheese and chives; Mexican chicken, red salsa;and other crepes in addition to extra toppings and side salad. Dishes range from £ 4-6.
    There are also lunch deals with a canned drink or water , and a packet of crisps Also breakfast, deals.
    Sweet crepes range from chocolate fillings, fruit fillings or cinnamon and sugar
    Prices range from under £3 to almost £6.

Also available are Waffles, Ice cream, cold or hot drinks.
    There is seating inside and on the pavement outside.
    Definitely we will be back again

Favorite Dish: Le Goat Deluxe which is a vegetarian dish containing goats and cheddar cheese , caramalised onion, red onion and spinach. Delicious.

Also we had another vegetarian crepe with tomato, spinach, mushrooms and cheese.

The sweet menu offered so much choice but selected a wonderful Nutella crepe between us. ickedly tempting.

• Seniors

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Costa: Perfect Coffee

by spidermiss Updated May 23, 2013

I visited a Costa a couple of times during my stay in Cardiff. Costa is a successful UK coffee shop chain and the branches usually offer coffee, tea and other drinks as well as their lovely range of bakery goodies and sandwiches. I always enjoy nipping into Costa for a drink or a bit to eat at reasonable costs.

Favorite Dish: I love their seasonal bakery ranges especially during at Christmas! The favourite bakery products I've had were the bakewell and banoffee muffins. I also love their peppermint tea.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

The Hayes (Cafe Quarter)

by spidermiss Updated Dec 23, 2012

The Hayes is a pedestrianised historic walkway in the city centre. There is a high concentration of designers shops as well as an abundance of cafes, bars and restaurants. Significantly, it links modern St David's/Dewi Sant mall with the Edwardian and Victorian arcades. Known as 'Cardiff's Old with new'!

This is where I had my brunch at the Duke of Wellington Street.

Terra Nova: Fantastic Pub

by Balam Updated Oct 1, 2012

This is a fantastic pub built in the shape of a ship and is called Terra Nova after the Ship which Captain Scott sailed in to the Antarctic.
    The pub is on 3 levels with the upper most bar being the crows nest and there is indeed a crows nest right at the top with a ceiling of stars and great views across the bay from the windows or the baloney's.
    The pub has a great decor with a lot of wood and material giving it a warm feel. It has many rooms making it a very cozy and interesting place.

They do some really nice food!

• Wine Tasting

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Plan Café: A wonderful place!

by ettiewyn Updated Apr 13, 2012

I met local VT member Sean a.k.a. Aaaarrgh for a lunch meeting on St David's Day. Unfortunately it did not work out to meet up with more people and so it was only a mini meeting, but it was still a very nice lunch. Sean had chosen the Plan Café because of its good location and because, although not being a 100% vegetarian café, it offers vegetarian and vegan meals - and what a great café it was! I really liked it!

It is located in the beautiful Morgan Arcade in the city centre, and the exterior is just so pretty. Sitting inside, if you have a table at the window, you can watch the people walking through the Arcade. Outside seating (within the Arcade) is also provided.
    Staff were friendly and I loved the menu - the vegan dishes were clearly marked vegan, which makes life so much easier! There were three vegan dishes (one sandwich and two salads), I chose the avocado salad and it was soooo good. Really delicious and also very filling. It was accompanied by bread.

You can see a picture of our mini meeting here (scroll down, it is the second picture).

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Crumbs: Vegetarian café in the centre

by ettiewyn Updated Apr 4, 2012

As far as I know Crumbs is the only 100% vegetarian eating place directly in the city centre of Cardiff, so of course I went there during my stay in the city. It is located in Morgan Arcade, where the Plan Café is also situated, so vegetarians and vegans have two good options close together.

I first went to the Crumbs in the morning when I felt like a second breakfast and a break from sightseeing, and I was not very thrilled by it then, as the member of staff in attendance seemed not very confident about which parts of the menu were vegan and which not... I was not treated very friendly, and in the end I left because apparently they had no vegan choices at all in the morning. I was very disappointed by this experience - of course in an omnivore restaurant I don't expect the staff to know all of the ingredients, or what is vegan and what not, but I do expect it in a vegetarian restaurant, even more so when it is marked vegan-friendly in happycow.net.

However, at lunch time I decided to give them a second chance and was quite happy I did. It still seemed to be very unorganized - although there were four members of staff behind the counter I had to wait very long until I was greeted and asked for my order - but there were several vegan options now, and it was not expensive. I took a seat outside in the beautiful arcade, and staff - now that they finally spoke to me - were very friendly. The location is really nice and I enjoyed this meal.

Favorite Dish: I had a potato and leak soup and a chocolate flapjack for dessert. The soup was good (although it could have been hotter). The flapjack was really delicious - it was a pre-made one, though, not one made by the café.

The Summer House: Have a meal in green surroundings

by ettiewyn Written Apr 3, 2012

The Summer House is a restaurant located in Bute Park. I passed it when I walked back from Llandaff to the city. From all my walking I felt quite hungry, so I opted for a quick snack from The Summer House before I caught the boat to Cardiff Bay (and had a proper lunch there).

It is quite a simple restaurant, consisting of a kind of hut where the food is prepared, and seats outside, sheltered from the rain by shades though. It still is not a cheap restaurant, and the surroundings are just beautiful. It is located next to the River Taff, and you sit directly in Bute Park, with the green lawns and trees around you.
    I later read that the building was designed to reflect the architecture of the real Summer House designed by William Burges, which was built in Bute Park during the redevelopment of Cardiff Castle, but later moved to St Fagans. There certainly is a resemblance.

Their choice of meals is not that large and mainly consisting of local dishes and the ones typical for such a small restaurant/take away. Staff were very friendly when I had questions about the meals, and I chose a small salad. Because I had to catch the boat, I ordered Take Away, and got the salad in a pretty-looking green paper box with a wooden fork. You see - not only the surroundings are green here :-)

Favorite Dish: I had a salad consisting of vegetables, noodles, mushrooms, potatoes and green salad which was quite ok, though I certainly had better ones before ;-)

Kemi's Cafe: Located at Crafts in the Bay

by ettiewyn Updated Apr 3, 2012

Kemi's Cafe is located in the same building as Crafts in the Bay, in Cardiff Bay near to the Millennium Centre. The basement provides a few seats, but they have a larger seating area on the first floor. It is a very airy place with big windows, and from here you have a nice views of Roald Dahl Plass and the Millennium Centre - I found it a very good location to have lunch!

They have a good range of meals on offer, including vegan and vegetarian dishes. Mainly they are not "big" meals, but rather things like wraps, soups, salads and jacket potatoes.

I think this is a very good place to go if you want to flee the hustle and bustle of Mermaid Quay and are looking for a place more quiet.

Opening times: 09.00am to 05.00pm during the week, from 10.00am on weekends.

Favorite Dish: I had a delicious humous wrap with roasted vegetables, which I liked very much!

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Ocean Park: Brewers Fayre

by grayfo Written Oct 23, 2011

Family restaurant that operates under the Brewers Fayre chain belonging to the Premier Inn Stable. The Ocean Park was purpose built in the 1990’s on an industrial estate and next to a housing estate. The bar is open plan with comfortable seating with TV coverage on offer.

email oceanpark.cardiff@whitbread.com

Monday to Saturday: 11:00 am to 11:00 pm
    Sunday: 12noon to 11:00 pm

September 2011

Favorite Dish: Available every Monday from 5:00 pm.
    All you can eat Chinese Buffet £5.99. Children (12 or under) £4.50

Lager Shandy - £3.00

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Pillars Restaurant: Pillars Restaurant

by mindcrime Written May 22, 2011

Pillars Restaurant is located at Principality Building on Queen street, You have to go down the stairs to find it although the touristic huge signs outside maybe they will attract you first (or put you away). Later we realized that this is a sister restaurant with Louis Restaurant that we had breakfast another day!

They have some great offers (hot meals for £4-5, toasted sandwiches with coleslaw £3, breakfast from £3) but once inside you will realize that it’s a self service place with cold and hot buffet full of typical salads or hot dishes. We just tried a salad (we weren’t hungry anyway) and went away because there are so many better places in Cardiff than a cold basement.

It is open daily 8.30-19.30 (Sundays 9.30-16.30)

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

The Black Griffin: Great Food

by Myfanwe Written Mar 31, 2011

The Griffin is situated in the leafy suburb of Lisvane just 5 miles North of the City Centre. We popped in after a busy day exploring Llanthony Priory and Usk. We opted for the 'two for £10' menu but there was a more extensive menu to chose from as well as a specials board. I had the duck pancake rolls to start followed by Lasagne and Gareth had hunters chicken. Both meals were really tasty, service was excellent and there was a nice atmosphere too.

• Evenith666's Profile Photo

Mermaid Quey: Every Restaurant You Could Want

by Evenith666 Written Aug 5, 2010

Mermaid Quey is a new development on Cardiff Bay, consisting of a few pubs and loads of restaurants. If you cant think of somewhere to go for dinner, visit Mermaid Quey and you will have found somewhere in no time!

Favorite Dish: I have only been here once and we went to Bosphorus, the Turkish Restaurant which is situated on its own little pier. However there is also chain restaurants like Nandos and Chiquitos.

• Luxury Travel

Chillies: Great Value, Great Food

by Balam Updated May 30, 2010

We have just returned very full after a great meal at Chillies on Whitchurch Rd in Cardiff.
    It's not a large restaurant but on a Sunday and Monday nights they do a special offer where for just £8.95 per person you can order as much as you like from the menu (except for king prawn dishes which have an extra charge)
    We had Papadoms and chutneys, Mixed Tandori Starter and a Mixed starter as well as Chicken Chat followed by Main course's of Lamb Cilon and Chicken Dopiaza with pilau rice for two, a Garlic Nan and a Peshwari Nan along with Mushroom bahjee and a Cauliflower Bhajee.
    And No we didn't finnish it but we had a good go, and Vicki brought some back for another day.

so all that and a Beer and Water for just £20.95 Bargain!!

• jhorsfield30's Profile Photo

Chiquitos: Nice location, shame about the food

by jhorsfield30 Written Apr 22, 2010

Now 'ive been to around 4 Chiquitos around Wales, the one in the bay in cardiff, is very nice and good clean food with nice staff. Free parking and central location for exploring the bay.
    Swansea, is right on the street with all the bar's/clubs and has nice decor, but occasionally the staff can be a little over worked due to volume of people using it.
    Cardiff Outskirts, a little tame on atmosphere, but otherwise quite nice food.
    ANd then there is this one, in the brewery 1/4 not far from the library, visited during the lunch menu hours, I had a burrito's(full chilli) - very nice *, and the other 2 people had tortia's chicken and the steak(sirloin), now the tortia was very nice and well cooked, but the steak was stringy and very fatty. Considering it was the most expensive thing on the menu £15.95, it was poorly presented with some chips and upon complaint, it was swapped for a mac and cheese dish on the decision of the diner. The mac and cheese was nice and not too much on the sauce.
    But on leaving, we was charged for the steak, and upon query it was altered,
    Overall, it started well, but little issue's created problems which shouldn't have arose.
    Being fair, the waitress did indeed ask if anything was wrong and did her best, but, should have told her colleagues of the problem so we won't be charged extra.

Favorite Dish: Hmm, central location, lunch time special deals,,

Cardiff Backpacker
Latest: Apr 7, 2012
Mercure Holland House Hotel & Spa Cardiff

Instant Answers: Cardiff

Comments

Cardiff Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cardiff locals.
Map of Cardiff