Places to eat in Vatican City

Al Giardino del Gatto e la Volpe
    by alza
    From garden table
    by alza
    Swiss Guards might Share Their Lunch??
    by SabrinaSummerville

Most Viewed Restaurants in Vatican City

• alza's Profile Photo

Eating: In the Borgo

by alza Written Sep 17, 2010

I was surprised to find that some of the places I went looking for to eat were closed. I was exploring the area on a Tuesday, following recommendations from my guidebook to Rome.
    Many recommended places were open and I walked by them, stopped in some to check them out, they all seemed okay but I walked on, eventually a bit far afield, to see as much as I could before making a choice.
    The one place I was quite bent on eating at was closed, so closed it actually looked like it had gone out of business.
    I gave up and ate at a rather non-descript place when I realised I was too hungry to go on.

The reception was a bit odd, all the staff was sitting in the garden terrace, having lunch, and I was the only customer. But the welcome was warm and inviting, and I ate well.

Favorite Dish: I had a first course but forget what it was. Then Tagliolini gamberetti and zini, a spaghetti dish with shrimps and courgettes (or chick peas, I'm not sure...)
    Anyway, it was really delicious.
    The staff sat at a large table near the entrance to the garden terrace and kept looking at me, smiling and urging me on.
    So I guess I had another tiramisù to show them that I liked the cuisine there.

All the restaurants I saw on the way there were lively and tempting but I walked on looking for one in particular, which happened to be closed... and that's how I ended up eating nearby at
    Ristorante-pizzeria Al Giardino del Gatto e la Volpe.

A huge place, inside and out. I only have pics from my table in the outside garden.

• Hilamo's Profile Photo

Caffe Vaticano: Swindle near Vatican city

by Hilamo Written Jan 19, 2010

Opposite the exit of the Vatican museum you will find "caffe Vaticano" don't go there, it's a rip off. Food is not priced and the waiter will tell you to order, sit down and pay later.
    The normal procedure in Italy is that you pay for what you are going to have so you know what it is going to cost or the products are priced.
    Not in this ***hole. It is one big tourist trap to go there and you will always pay 4 times the price you would pay anyware else in Rome. Be aware and spread the word.

• illumina's Profile Photo

Pizza!

by illumina Written Apr 19, 2006

I can't remember the name of the place, but it's opposite the Vatican museums - straight across the street from the entrance, it should be the first one you come to (there are at least two on that street). The takeaway pizza (not al taglie, but a round pizza, cut in half and folded over, like an omelette) is EUR5, heated up right in front of you, and is much much better than the similar offering from the mobile snack carts that hover around all the tourist sites.

Favorite Dish: Pizza funghi! Delicious!

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

General restaurant Tip: Looking for Loaves and Fishes

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Mar 13, 2006

One thing that surprised me about the Vatican City was the difficulty in getting anything "proper" to eat after lunchtime.

I spent a pretty heavy morning and early afternoon exploring the Vatican so by 3pm I was ravenous. I went searching for a restaurant but was taken aback to see that many were closed until that evening.

Relieved to find one that was open I sat down and perused the menu, once again being disappointed to find only sandwiches. Nevertheless I ordered something tasty-looking - but was stunned when the waiter explained that they didn't even do sandwiches after 2.30pm. I ended up with ice cream and coffee which filled a spot but wasn't what I needed.

The moral of the story is - when visiting the Vatican City remember to eat at "proper" mealtimes.

I have to add an addendum - the whole Vatican experience is incredible and worth a bit of fasting:-)

Favorite Dish: Must be the ice cream - there wasn't anything else:-(

• Religious Travel

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Everywhere!: Eat like a king, or a pauper

by alisonr Written Nov 17, 2005

We heard so many tales about lunch time exploits from our fellow travellers. Some were telling us about spending 20 euros on a hot dog and coke, others sat down to a three course meal for 50 euros. For us, we went to the cafeteria style restaurant almost next door to the Vatican gift shop on the road running strait up to the square. It was fairly cheap as I can recall and you got a huge choice of rolls, paninis and other goodies. Not a flash place but cheap all the same.

• mjmarble's Profile Photo

Do not eat at the museum's...

by mjmarble Written Sep 7, 2002

Do not eat at the museum's cafeteria; horrible overpriced food. Go out to the main road entering St. Peter's square and there's a couple of good resturants on along the way. A little expensive, but decent/good food which is close by.

• lolita2002's Profile Photo

Caffe Risorgimiento: Have a coffee (CAFFE) and icecream (GELATTI)

by lolita2002 Written Aug 31, 2002

Close to San Peter, vatican area, if you need to sit and take a break after hours of walking you will need a coffee or/and an icream!

Favorite Dish: I love italian coffee , expresso, it real coffee (sorry, american coffee is like coloured water)

• balfor's Profile Photo

I have not a clue what the...

by balfor Updated Aug 26, 2002

I have not a clue what the name of the place was that we had lunch, but you won't go wrong with the sidewalk cafe's that dot the boulevards around the Vatican.
    It was in Rome, need there be more?

Favorite Dish: Oh, I think I liked the Italian food!

• The Vatican Museum restaurant...

by James63 Updated Aug 26, 2002

The Vatican Museum restaurant is not bad by the standards of museum food. More to the point, you'll need the food for energy after you spend hours wandering the museum with thousands of your fellow men.
    It's in the Vatican Musuem. That's pretty unusual.

• l_joo's Profile Photo

I couldn't find any reataurant...

by l_joo Written Aug 25, 2002

I couldn't find any reataurant until I keep looking at this onion like building for delicious foods..lol. Sorry, you have to understand this place is so big with so much of walking from early morning until about 12pm I was so hungry but insist to finish the whole thing then my imagination arose to tell me this is the restaurant of Vatican, mmm very tasty one, Enjoy Vaticanese foods.

• Giulia_ua's Profile Photo

There are snack bars in...

by Giulia_ua Written Aug 25, 2002

There are snack bars in museum, you will not have problems if you become terribly hungry.
    And if you become thirsty – there are fountains with drinkable water on the square.
    Water in the fountains is very good and absolutelly FREE OF CHARGE.

• larsy's Profile Photo

McDonalds (seriously): McDonalds (seriously)

by larsy Written Aug 25, 2002

If you go in the summer one way to keep from passing out from the heat is to go to McDonalds. Why? Because they are the only places with air-conditioning and you can get lots of ice in your drink. The one we went to can be found by following the arrows from the outside of the Bascillica, the McD's also had the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill on constant repeat for an added treat.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Don't know of any good...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Don't know of any good restaurants here.... :-(( Sorry!

Alternatively, you can be like my dear resourceful sister... and grab an ice-cream (gelato) whilst you sightsee around this lovely place.... :-)) Yes, that's her in the pic below.

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Picknick at Saint Peter's Square....

by tini58de Written Mar 17, 2004

We loved to go to Saint Peter's Square, sit on the steps there and have our lunch. Just looking at the beautiful scenery and watching the people was so relaxing!!!

And we were in best company....

• Mr_Edd_20's Profile Photo

I thought this was a really...

by Mr_Edd_20 Written Aug 26, 2002

I thought this was a really nice picture. Im not sure who painted it...perhaps it was Rapheal? Anyways, the way the lighting effects was painted is very remarkable!

Instant Answers: Vatican City

Comments

Vatican City Restaurants

mccalpin's Profile Photo

Most of the reviews here are for places to eat outside Vatican City itself, as the City is not geared to hosting thousands of hungry tourists. However, within the Museums themselves, there...

Map of Vatican City