The Pope/Sunday Service, Vatican City

• Tijavi's Profile Photo

See the Pope

by Tijavi Updated Nov 12, 2010

Wednesdays are the Pope's audience day, and if you are lucky enough (like me) you might get to see him during one of those days when he appears in public at St Peter's Square. I did get a very good vantage point near the fountain, and what is amazing is not seeing the Pope himself (I'm not Catholic), but the reaction from his "flock."

I was standing right next to two middle-aged women from Latin America and they cried their heart out when the Pope passed by us, giving his blessing. One of the women told me she waited all her life for this. Extraordinary emotion.

As expected, security is tighter when the Pope appears in public, so get ready to queue to enter the square.

• cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo

Pope's service

by cinthya_in_victoria Written Dec 29, 2008

hello!

We didn't know if there would be a service the day we visited the Vatican because the Pope can be out of town but fortunately he was there and was going to give a mass! But then I thought 'will I be able to see him closer?' and then I saw in the screens that his car was approaching to where I was, and then all of a sudden I had him almost in front of me!
    I must confess that I was happy to see Benedict XVI but I would have broken into tears if I'd seen John Paul II.

If my memory is correct, the service is given in 5 languages: French, Italian, English, Spanish and German.
    I heard there were hundreds and hundreds of people during the services and that I'd be lucky if I'd seen the pope from very far away, but surprisingly there wasn't such a crowd. Will it be that this pope is not as popuar as JPII?? I don't know, but I was excited to see Benedict XVI even though I loved JPII

• MrRandMcnally's Profile Photo

Wednesday Newlywed's Papal audience

by MrRandMcnally Written Mar 8, 2008

Pope Benidict 16

On most Wednesdays the pope holds an audience in St Peter's square for thousands of people. The best seats are not in the plaza but up on the steps to the Basilica. Here couples married in the last 2 months can get tickets to be close to the pope, have their union blessed and perhaps receive an individual blessing if he has time.

For a Catholic couple this is very cool, and even in the sweltering heat of Rome in July couples don their tuxcidos and wedding gowns toreceive this special blessing.

Tickets are avalible from various churches in Rome. Americans can contact the American Chapel, Santa Susana and request tickets. They are extremely friendly and helpful and their website tells the policies and requirements. This is only for Couples who have been recently married in a Catholic service.

Santa Susana can also help with regular tickets.

• Zeldap99's Profile Photo

sunday service

by Zeldap99 Written Dec 28, 2007

it was all in Italian, i was neat even though I didn't understand a single word of it. then again, i think it almost made church more enjoyable not having a clue what they were talking about. once the service started noone was allowed to enter or leave.

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Pope Benny

by fishandchips Updated Oct 1, 2007

After the death of the much loved Polish Pope John Paul II, German cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became Pope Benedict XVI. He is a hard liner who favours the 'old ways'. JPII was the first non Italian Pope since 1523 so it's currently 2 in a row.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

writings from Pope Benedict's desk

by kenHuocj Updated Sep 16, 2006

read Encyclicals

Meeting with the representatives of science in the Aula Magna of the University of Regensburg (September 12, 2006) The Speech in full
    instead of relying on reactionary statements
    again quoted our of context by media
    who use sensationalism to gather larger readership
    or sales of their newspapers

• cckbp7's Profile Photo

Pope John XXIII

by cckbp7 Written Aug 31, 2006
    Pope John XXIII

When the exumed Pope John XXIII's body several years after his death; they noticed that he had not decomposed. They declared it a miracle, covered his body in wax, and put him on display in the Basillica. He looks like he is only sleeping. Its a bit creepy.

• icunme's Profile Photo

Request an Audience and/or Blessing

by icunme Updated Aug 22, 2006

Vatican View from Top Castel Sant Angelo

How to Request an Audience with the Pope in Rome
    Vatican Tip

How to apply for an event or blessing from the Pope:
    You might also attend the Wednesday General Audience held in St Peter's Square. In winter the audience is held in the Paul VI Hall accessed just to the left of the Square - tickets required. Tickets should be reserved well ahead of time. In winter the audience is held in the Paul VI Hall accessed just to the left of the Square with the same ticket stipulation.

The Pope generally appears on Sundays at noon and can be seen from Vatican Square at the second window from the right of the Apostolic Palace where he prays the Angelus and blesses the crowd in the Square - no ticket required.

During July and August the Pope is at his summer residence and the General Audience is held in the Courtyard in the town of Castelgandolfo (16 miles from Rome). Tickets are not required but space is very limited.

Here are our best suggestions:

You might try to arrange an audience by phone through the Prefecture of the Pontifical House of the Vatican City: Tel: 011-39-06-698-83017
    Website: www.vatican.va

Arranging a Papal Audience through Santa Susanna via a Web Form (this would be our preference).
    Santa Susanna, home of the American Catholic Church in Rome, offers a means of aquiring tickets to Papal Masses and Papal Audiences by filling out a web form well in advance of your trip to Rome. They inform us that the Papal Audience procedure is now back to normal and audiences will continue through May, June and July 2006. They will attempt to make your tickets available for pick up at the church the evening before the event.

The website for Santa Susanna:

Although rarely available, you may be able to reserve a Papal Blessing.

• Escadora7's Profile Photo

Seek an audience with the pope

by Escadora7 Updated May 23, 2005

Pope John Paul II

Some things are just meant to be! We went to visit St. Peter's church and stood in line to enter. It turns out that we stood in the wrong line and instead of entering St. Peter's church we got invitations to a general audience with the Pope the very next day.

One person / family at a time is allowed to pass through by the Swiss guard, walk up the stairs, and request an audience. Invitations are then handed back. The invitations of course are free.

On the next day, the actual audience occured in the building to the left of St. Peter's. The lines were really long and the security was intense (So leave any useless metal gadgets back at the hotel if you would like to move faster through security checks). Inside the auditorium, the energy was unbelievable. 'Papa' John Paul II blessed the congregation in different languages while youth from different countries (earrings, noserings, mohawks and all) chanted and clapped in rhythm ... 'Giovanni Paulo, Giovanni Paulo'... all a huge gathering to pay tribute to one of the most important people on Earth.

I truly believe that this was meant to be, since this was a life-long dream of Ash, and we had only 3 days in Rome.

Dont forget to bring along any items, such as a rosary or a pendant, etc. if you would like them to be blessed by the Pope.

[Footnote - Pope Ioannes Paulus PP. II, Karol Wojtyla, recently passed away. Even though Eva & I had but a few minutes in his presence, the strong feeling of losing someone we knew well was alarming. May his soul rest in peace. I hope that the newly elected pope will bring good things - to the Church as an institution and to the lives of people, through Christianity.]

• Escadora7's Profile Photo

Take in a Mass (Church prayer service)

by Escadora7 Updated May 10, 2005

An 'over' view of the church alter

The adjoining snap was taken from the inside of St. Peter's dome high above the church. I had to position the camera way over my head with my arms outstretched and angled in such a way that I would clear the wrought iron railing which protected tourists from falling over. Eva being a little dizzy from the height preferred standing against the wall, away from the railing.

The Vatican holds mass daily. Each Christmas, the Pope himself says mass to the standing-room-only crowd. Personally I would think Easter and Christmas vigil, with thousands of candles all glowing softly around you, would be the best possible times to make a visit, though the service could be a little long and tiring.

Service details are available from the tourist office in the Piazza.

.................................................................................................................................

• Religious Travel

• Vatican City - A Papal Blessing (Catholic)

by bobyn Updated Aug 23, 2004

Pope in Vatican having finished his Ceremony

If you have been brought up a Roman Catholic, then no matter what, for me anyway, it meant that I was honoured and delighted and interested in this Ceremony. I had of course this feeling inside telling me that I was taking up some "good persons" space, and that I certainly wasn't deserving of such prominence in my sitting while many very religious, older, and sicker people behind me were almost falling for the Pope, and wailing and crying in delights of joy. And here I am with a close-up...I even have a photo of him clearly visible, the entire shot being of his face! There was peace, tranquility, togetherness of people, awe at the Popes age, illness yet ability; the Snipers overhead protecting the Pope, the Blessing given, the Pope Himself, the Swiss Guards (the Popes personal army), the place itself - the Statues, blue skies, heat.....this is all there :o)

• Architecture
    • Disabilities

• tompt's Profile Photo

Popes blessings

by tompt Written Feb 14, 2004

Very far away the pope is blessing us and hundreds

Every sunday at noon the pope is blessing the people waiting at the Piazza San Pietro. He appears behind a window of the library. A red flag is hung out of the window a few minutes before he arrives. This makes it easy to identify the window. You can ofcourse also look at the rest of the crowd waiting. The banners they brought are all facing that side.
    But if you really want to see the pope you have to bring a binocular or a good zoomlens.

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

I will not keep you in suspense to see the Pope!

by Kodi01 Written Sep 21, 2003
    Pope John Paul II

This is the world known Pope who comes from Krakow Poland.

I however was in much suspense:

Will I see the Pope ?
    Will he be giving mass ?

I did not know, but I was lucky he was giving mass this special day! I had no idea how special it was, he was to announce 2 new saints!

• GinGinCoo's Profile Photo

by GinGinCoo Written Mar 10, 2004

Pope giving a Christmas Blessing Dec 2002

The Pope, who is St. Peter's direct successor and the first Bishop of Rome is the visible head of the Catholic Church.

Instant Answers: Vatican City