Dilijan Things to Do

My guides at the Cultural museum
    Inside the Cultural Museum
  • outside of the new Dilijan Cultural Museum
    outside of the new Dilijan Cultural...

Most Recent Things to Do in Dilijan

• Marywhotravels's Profile Photo

sweet little cultural museum with friendly guides

by Marywhotravels Updated Apr 4, 2011
    outside of the new Dilijan Cultural Museum

I was amazed that the sleepy, mountain town of Dilijan had not one, but two adorable little museums! This is the central museum, part of a brand new tourist complex being built by the Tufenkian Group as an attempt to revitalize the area. They've recently renovated an entire street, which looks a little artificial, but it is lovely and full of elegant, traditional Armenian architecture. The complex will hold a luxury hotel and restaurant as well as a museum and shops, although those weren't open when I visited in May 2008.

The museum is small, but contains some very nice cultural objects and turn-of-the-century furnishings. The two guides working there were tremendously friendly (and a little bored - I think I was their only guest that day), and they spoke Russian well, but no English. They do however have some brochures in English. I really enjoyed my visit here, and I hope that tourists start to rediscover this sweet little town!

• Eco-Tourism
    • Study Abroad

50th anniversary of the soviet in Armenia

50th anniversary of the soviet in Armenia

Far out in the distance, and cleverly conceived to be seen from all over town , there's a tall crown-shaped large white monument.

It is the monument for the 50th anniversary of the soviet in Armenia.

the russian steps

by call_me_rhia Updated Aug 23, 2006

The Russian steps are not called like this - but nowhere I was able to find out anything about them. They are a bizarre feature of Myasnikyan poghots - they start from nowhere and lead to nowhere.

An inscription at the base of the step, complete with hammer and sickle, and soviet star, tells you that these very unsoviet-like steps were built in 1948.

the best exchage office

pharmacy and money exchange

Nothing to see by the main roundabout - but this is likely where you'll end up when arriving in Dilijan... You can find everything you need at the small grocery store, and right next to it, in case you need it, there's the pharmacy (see photo) and exchange office - with the best exchange rate we found in Armenia (400 to a dollar, compared to the 390 to a dollar that we found elsewhere). Change plenty of money...

Instant Answers: Dilijan

Comments

Dilijan Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Dilijan things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dilijan sightseeing.