Goris Travel Guide

by MalenaN

Goris Transportation

• rjaparidze's Profile Photo

by rjaparidze Written Oct 3, 2007

The best way to get to Goris is naturally by a taxi. Apparent disadvantage going by a taxi there is high cost. But... This problem can be easily solved if several people share a vehicle. This was what I did exactly and as it turned out there is an organized service for that.

Couple of hours prior to departure you negotiate with the driver and he picks you up where you indicate.

I was really lucky to meet Hamlet - taxi driver whose mobile I indicate below. He was really funny and I genuinely enjoyed the trip. And it did not cost a lot - 8-9 dollars if I remember correctly.

Yep.. Make sure to sit front!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

by MalenaN Written Aug 12, 2006

There is no public transport from Sevan Peninsula and it is very hard to find a taxi (in the morning they are none existing). Marshrutkas (minibuses) to Yerevan are leaving from Sevan town, about 5 – 6 km away from the beach area on the peninsula. I asked for a taxi, but was told to go up to the main road and stop a bus (for example marshrutkas from Dilijan are passing). Well, it was eight in the morning and very little traffic. After walking for a while along the road towards Sevan a small lorry stopped and gave me lift. The two young men next to the driver had to get up on the platform where it was very cold. That was very kind of them to let me and my luggage take their place. I was dropped by the marshrutka to Yerevan. It left Sevan when it was full, at 8.50, and arrived in Yerevan 40 minutes later. It was 600 drams (August 2006).

The marshrutka from Sevan stops at the corner of Teryan Poghots, near the drama Theatre and that’s about 2 km from Kino Rossiya, from where marshrutkas to Goris leave. I took a taxi between the two and paid with a 1000 drams bill, expecting to get change back, but I didn’t (the driver very quickly left the car to carry my luggage to the marshrutka).

The marshrutka to Goris was just about to leave. I quickly bought a cola and sandwich and paid the ticket, 2500 drams. The bus drive to Goris took four hours, and that included a food break halfway along the way. In Goris the bus stopped down in town, opposite the post office.

View over Goris

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

by MalenaN Updated Aug 10, 2006

I was told there was a marshrutka (minibus) from Goris to Sisian at 1pm. As I didn't want to wait that long I took a taxi (Hamlet, the same driver as to Tatev). The price was 6000 drams (August 2006), which I thought sounded too much, but I did not argue about it. It took about one hour. When I took a taxi tour around Sisian that driver told me the price between Sisian and Goris is 4000 drams. I think I was charged more because the chance to get passengers on the way back to Goris was small.

Street in Goris

Instant Answers: Goris

Comments

Goris Travel Guide
Map of Goris