Yerevan Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Yerevan

Karas

by HORSCHECK Updated Oct 12, 2014

Karas is an Armenian chain restaurant which was established in 2005. It has approximately 10 branches, mainly in Yerevan, but also in some other towns.

I once visited the restaurant on Mashtots Avenue with a Singaporean traveller and a Georgian guy whom I have met on the minibus from Tbilisi to Yerevan. He actually recommended this place.

The restaurant on Mashtots Avenue has indoor seatings on two levels, but no outdoor terrace. The interior is equipped with basic furniture and lacks a bit of atmosphere, but it is the food you come here for.

The menu lists a wide range of dishes from Middle Eastern cuisine to pizza. I opted for lamb iqibir (900 AMD) and an Ararat beer (600 AMD). The meat was absolutely delicious, so I can higly recommend Karas for a quick and tasty meal.

One thing to mention is, that on every table a kind of button can be found. It can be used to signal the waiter to come to your table, which I find quite a good idea in a city where quick service is not common. As usual a 10 % service charge was added to our bill.

Karas Karas: My lamb iqibir Karas: My Ararat beer Karas: Signal button

Caucasus Tavern

by HORSCHECK Updated Oct 12, 2014

The Caucasus Tavern was recommended to me by the Downtown Hostel staff. During my one week stay in Yerevan I even went there twice with several other travellers.

The restaurant consists of a few large rooms, where some areas are separated by dividers. The interior decoration and furniture is held in a wooden style. They don't have any outdoor seating.

The comprehensive menu offers along with some international meals a wide variety of Armenian, Georgian and Caucasian dishes.

I tried and shared different meals like the Armenian pork with garlic in wine (2000 AMD), the vegetable barbeque (600 AMD), the lamb barbeque on stick (1200 AMD) and the dolma with grape leaves (1200 AMD).

To drink I opted for the Armenian Kilikia beer (600 AMD). Everything was tasty and reasonably priced compared to other places I visited during my time in Armenia.

Service was not too quick, but that's quite normal in this part of the world and actually didn't bother me. A 5 % service charge was directly added to the bill, still waiters expect you to leave some additional tip. Just as a note: In many other places, a 10 % service charge applies to the bill.

The Caucasus Tavern seems to be popular among tourists as well as locals and was both times very well frequented. I would definitely go here again, although there are many other good places to try in Yerevan.

Caucasus Tavern: Pork with garlic Caucasus Tavern Caucasus Tavern: Interior Caucasus Tavern: Kilika beer Caucasus Tavern: Barbeque vegetables

Tavern Yerevan

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 11, 2014

One evening I visited Tavern Yerevan for dinner together with another traveller. The basement restaurant consists of several rooms, with the biggest having space for approximately 40 people. The interior consists of stone walls and wooden furniture. Outdoor seating is not available.

Traditional Armenian music is regulary performed in the main room, where I was seated. At times it was a bit loud, so that conversation was not possible. As the band took frequent breaks, the mixture of music and silence was okay.

The kitchen is specialised in old Armenian dishes and the menu also offers a selection of other Caucasian meals. I ordered a lamb skewer (1400 AMD) and shared bread (250 AMD) and barbeque vegetables (1200 AMD) with the other person. To drink I had a local draft beer (500 AMD). All food was excellent and very tasty. After a few days in Armenia I started to love all lamb dishes.

The staff was friendly although a bit slow. The bill came with the usual 10 % service charge, but prices were still very cheap compared to Western Europe.

Tavern Yerevan: Lamb skewer and grilled lamb ribs Tavern Yerevan: Barbeque vegetables Tavern Yerevan: Traditional Armenian music Inside Tavern Yerevan Tavern Yerevan

Cafe Prospect

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 11, 2014

One late afternoon after a long walk around the city, I felt like taking a break in a shady cool place. As I was just near the covered market hall and I remembered having seen a cafe there before, I decided to give it a try.

Cafe Prospect is a slightly upscale place. It consists of a large modern looking indoor restaurant and some tables on the 1st level of the hall, from where the ground level can be seen. Unfortunately the market hall is nowadays mainly home to a supermarket, so the views are not overly exciting.

The menu offers a selection of meals from international and local cuisine. I ordered a Ham and Cheese Sandwich (1000 AMD) and a Bjni mineral water (300 AMD). My meal was bigger than expected as the sandwich came with fries as side. It was yummy and the young waiter was more than attentive and quite happy to practise his English.

The bill came with the usual 10 % service charge. The toilets were very clean and modern. Cafe Prospect is definitely a good option for a relaxing break, but not a must-visit place.

Cafe Prospect Cafe Prospect: My Bjni mineral water Cafe Prospect: Ham and Cheese Sandwich

Magnolia Cafe

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 11, 2014

One late afternoon I took a break in the Magnolia Cafe near the Opera House. It looked inviting to me due to its large covered outdoor terrace.

The colourful menu offers many different snacks, some main courses and a wide variety of drinks from mineral water and cocktails to coffee and tea. Cigarettes are listed as well.

As I wasn't too hungry I decided for a Club Sandwich (1200 AMD) and a Georgian Borjomi mineral water (500 AMD).

When my meal came I was quite surprised how big it was. I expected to get a snack, but in total it consisted of 4 toasts accompanied by salad. I could hardly finish it as there was a lot of food on my plate. It was yummy and quite filling.

Service was friendly and a bit slow, but this didn't really bother me as I enjoyed my time with people watching and reading my guide book. The bill came with the usual 10 % service charge.

Magnolia Cafe: My club sandwich Magnolia Cafe Magnolia Cafe

Zatar Pizza

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 11, 2014

At around lunchtime of my first proper day in Yerevan I came across the small Zatar Pizza place, which seemed to be especially popular during the day.

As quite a few locals were sitting outside and even eating something, I took the chance to take a break from sightseeing. I went inside and ordered something from the counter and sat down at one of the shady tables on the outdoor terrace from where I could watch the world pass by.

As I was obviously the only foreigner at the place, the staff was very friendly to me. Zatar Pizza seems to be specialised in all sorts of Middle Eastern dough and bread dishes from lahmacun and Aleppian fatayer to pizza and several canapés.

I am not quite sure how my meal was called, as I directly ordered it from the counter. It was a sort of hot dough pocket with sausage pieces and it was just the right thing to keep me happy for the rest of the day. Together with a soft drink the bill was 750 AMD; quite reasonable.

Here I also saw a few locals drinking Tan, which is an Armenian yoghurt drink similar to Turkish Ayran.

Zatar Pizza Zatar Pizza: My lunch

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Awesome food: Awesome food

by littlebush Written Sep 6, 2013

I had some great Lahmajo in a great place i dont know the name of!

Some food i tried:
    6. Xorovac: pig and chicken

• DAO's Profile Photo

OLD (Y)EREVAN RESTAURANT: A BIT OF PAGEANTRY

by DAO Updated Oct 18, 2012

For some reason the entrance to this interesting restaurant looks like an expensive clothing boutique or upscale bookshop. The restaurant is actually upstairs. This massive entrance room has pictures of some of the many famous celebrities and politicians who have dinned here and the obligatory coat check. Upstairs is the ornate dinning hall decorated with traditional art, crafts and even representations of food. Definitely picturesque. The service was friendly, prices reasonable and the beer cold.

I found the Khashlama (stew) a bit watery, but good. The vodka served was warm and they are a little unsure about when to bring out the rice. The cool part was when the musicians appeared from nowhere and put on a great show.

If you had just one night in Yerevan, this would not be a bad choice just for the atmosphere and décor. The food is ok at an ok price. It’s also very easy to find, so enjoy!

Favorite Dish:
    I had the ‘Yerevan Lights’ for a starter. This is a tasty stew with chicken, pork, potatoes, green beans, peppers served in a tomato based broth. Delicious. My main meal was Khashlama – a stew made with lamb in either beer or wine. Not sure, the menu was unsure, but I am assured that chef poured some alcohol into it. Maybe himself instead and/or in addition to my food.

I washed it all down with an indifferent tasting Kotayk and warm vodka.

Warm vodka....

LET'S DANCE
    • Music
    • Business Travel

• DAO's Profile Photo

BUKHARA: CLOSED ! IN 2010

by DAO Written Aug 26, 2012

Although this place is in some guide books, an there is a VT tip extolling its virtues in 2011, I can assure you this derelict looking door was the entrance to this now closed restaurant. And this photo was taken by me in 2010! It was once a wonderful sounding Uzbek restaurant. I spoke to the bar next door (red lights to the left) and they said it had been closed for some time. I went looking for it because I wanted to eat there. At least one VT member things they did. Hmmm, there is a bar next door....

Sorry.

CLOSED !
    • Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• RobertoS9's Profile Photo

Sushi Toria / Pizza Toria: Check out these two great restaurants

by RobertoS9 Written Jul 24, 2012

Sushi toria and Pizza toria are two resturants of one chain. They really serve the best sushi at fair prices in Yerevan on Bayron street sushi toria restaurant and have the real italian pizza in wood oven made by Italian chef on Tumanyan street.
    Both restaurants have amazing authentic interior and are really family restaurants. The service is really beautiful in both restaurants.

Good food, great service and nice atmosphere - what else are we expecting from a restaurant??
    All the five stars!!!

Favorite Dish: 1. Tobiko wasabi in Sushitoria
    2. Capriciosa pizza and Ossobuko in Pizzatoria

• tim07's Profile Photo

Marco Polo: Pavement cafe

by tim07 Updated Jul 23, 2011

There are plenty of pavement cafes and restaurants in Yerevan. I had a couple of meals in the cafe Marco Polo. It had a wide selection of both local and international meals. The food was of good quality and reasonably priced. The service was good too. It's situated just off Republic Square and is a great place to relax and watch the world go by.

• TTontherun's Profile Photo

The Club: The best food and friendliest service in Yerevan

by TTontherun Written Jun 5, 2011

This is the most amazing of any places, save museums and old churches, we've been to in Yerevan. It's a little hard to find and even harder to describe. It's a craft shop with books and music, restaurant, cafe, tea room, exhibit space, all in a basement with untouched walls and wooden floors. Even bathrooms are unique - one of them has a faucet i have never seen before, you have to push the spout up to get and keep the water flowing. And the staff is so friendly, it felt like we knew everyone from before. Absolutely fantastic.

Favorite Dish: I had a dish with a strange name, which was translated to me as the Priest Lost His Mind - it's made of aubergine with minced meat. The story is that when a village priest ate it, it was so good, he lost his mind. It was indeed. I also had the yogurt soup - Spas. Very-very satisfying.
    My companion order onion soup and lamb shank with veggies, which was heavenly - I tried a piece - it melted in my mouth. Onion soup looked delicious as well but I didn't try it.

• City Diner, Yerevan: Don't miss this new restaurant

by jamport Updated Apr 4, 2011

One of the most comfortable places we visited in Yerevan. The atmosphere is light and airy, the colors are bright and cheery and the music is just right... not too loud!!!! We loved the way the staff greeted us, tons of smiles and an overall happy ambiance.

Favorite Dish: The burgers were authentic American.... yummm.... their homemade thousand island sauce was a hit with our group.

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• City Diner, Yerevan: One of the best eating experiences I had!

by sunshineray Updated Apr 4, 2011

City Diner has really captured the feel of the old '50s style diners. You walk in and the rock and roll music is playing, it's bright, cheerful and full of fun diner memorabilia... I had a blast walking around and finding licence plates from all the states I had traveled to. I was impressed with the food... very authentic and delicious!!!!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dishe???? Chicken Caesar and the Bacon Cheeseburger.... washed down with a strawberry banana shake...Yummmmmm

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• GeoV's Profile Photo

Afrikyanneri Pandok: Real Armenian cuisine

by GeoV Updated Nov 21, 2010

This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel staff when we asked about the best places for authentic Armenian food, (after lengthy discussions about the ingredients we needed to take home to attempt cooking things ourselves). This certainly is not the case of an hotel pointing you in the direction of their favoured restaurant - our experiences of the place suggest everything they serve will taste as genuine Armenian food should. Although it's not far from the city centre, the recommendation was particularly useful as it's not really somewhere you would stumble upon by accident. I won't detail what was available on the extensive menu, if you are in any doubt about what to try, the proprietor, Artur, will be happy to explain and make suggestions. (There's not really any communication difficulty but he's the man to ask for anyway.) On one of our visits, there was live Armenian music - as authentic as the food and provided for a large group of Armenians. It's worth calling in advance (or getting your hotel to do so) as the restaurant is obviously popular with the locals and can get busy. Virtually all the food we ate in Yerevan was good quality but this restaurant served the very best of it - and at a remarkably reasonable price.

Instant Answers: Yerevan

Comments

Yerevan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Yerevan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Yerevan sightseeing.