Baku Restaurants

Inside Firuze restaurant
    Restaurant Qoc Et
  • Restaurant Qoc Et: The friendly pizza baker
    Restaurant Qoc Et: The friendly pizza...

Most Recent Restaurants in Baku

Restaurant Qoc Et

by HORSCHECK Updated Jan 25, 2015

When I came out of the metro station Nizami on my way to the market Taza Bazar, I saw a car being towed away at a street crossing. So I stopped and watched the procedure and after some time I noticed that in the building behind me a pizza baker was watching as well. I got in contact with him and realised that the restaurant looked quite inviting. As it was just about lunch time I spontaneously decided to take a break here.

The restaurant Qoc Et seems to be specialised in Turkish and Caucasian cuisine. Other European dishes such as pizza are available as well.

For a working day at lunch time the place was well frequented by locals. For me it looked like I was the only tourist, so that staff was especially attentive and helpful to me. Even the restaurant manager once came to me and asked if everything was okay.

From the restaurant I could see the pizza baker making pizzas behind a big window, so I decided to order a small pizza with meat (6 AZN) and a Georgian lemonade (2,5 AZN). For me this was just the perfect dish for lunch.

Compared to the other restaurants I had visited before prices were quite moderate. I especially liked the local atmosphere in the restaurant and would definitely go there again. After I had left the restuarant I had a quick chat with the pizza baker and took a photo of him.

Restaurant Qoc Et: My pizza with meat Restaurant Qoc Et: My lemonade Restaurant Qoc Et Restaurant Qoc Et Restaurant Qoc Et: The friendly pizza baker

Restaurant Firuze

by HORSCHECK Written Jan 24, 2015

On my last day in Baku, I went for dinner to the Firuze restaurant, which was recommended in my German guide book. It is a cellar restaurant and therefore from the outside I got neither an idea of the interior nor of its occupancy. I usually find it diffcult to visit these kind of restaurants, but I decided to give it a try.

When I entered the restaurant I was pleasantly surprised by the bright and colourful traditional decoration of the rooms. Many of the tables were already occupied, but the staff found a nice free table for me.

The comprehensive menu offers a wide range of local food as well as dishes from international cuisines. I opted for Kebab in assortment (Qarisiq kabab) for 5 AZN, homemade potatoes (1,40 AZN) and roasted vegetables (3,00 AZN) as side dishes. I washed it down with two local Xirdalan beers (1,40 AZN each).

The food was absolutely delicious and compared to all other places I visited before, much cheaper. As I had ordered two side dishes I was only charged half price for each, which I found a very fair gesture.

To sum it up: All restaurants I visited during my time in Baku were at least good, but Firuze was the one outstanding place. So if you are planning to visit only one restaurant, this is the one to go for.

Firuze: My kebab dish Firuze: Local Xirdalan beer Inside Firuze restaurant Inside Firuze restaurant Firuze: Sign near the Fountain Square

Beer Hall

by HORSCHECK Written Jan 23, 2015

On my second evening I chose the outdoor terrace of the large Beer Hall restaurant for dinner. Due to its nice location in a small park, I had noticed the place already during the day. Always when I came across it, it was relatively busy.

I took a seat at one of the tables in front of the red brick building, so that I could do some people watching in the park around the fountain.

Apart from an extensive drink list, the menu offers a wide selection of hearty meat dishes from local and international cuisine. As I was quite hungry I opted for the mixed barbeque (Et Sac Qovurma) for 11 AZN and a Turkish Efes beer for 4,00 AZN. My dish came on a seperate heated pan and was really tasty and filling.

The waiter was attentive and friendly, so that I enjoyed my visit of the Beer Hall restaurant.

Beer Hall: My mixed barbeque Beer Hall: My Efes beer Beer Hall Beer Hall Beer Hall

Restaurant Pizza Inn

by HORSCHECK Written Jan 23, 2015

On my first evening I wanted to sit somewhere outside for dinner to enjoy the atmosphere of Baku. So I went to the Fountain Square (Fevvareler meydani) and checked the options.

As the large outdoor terrace of the Pizza Inn restaurant was quite crowded by locals and I still saw one perfectly placed empty table I decided to give it a try.

Other than the name implies, the restaurant doesn't only offer pizza, but also a large selection of local and international dishes from kebabs and spagetti to all sorts of sandwiches.

I ordered a lamb kebab (Quzu kababi) for 11,00 AZN and a Turkish Efes beer for 5,00 AZN. My meal was really yummy and I enjoyed some people watching on Fountain Square while I finished my beer.

Staff was attentive, especially when taking into consideration that the place was quite busy with customers. As I later realised, prices were slightly above average, but this was probably caused by the prime location of the restaurant on Fountain Square.

Restaurant Pizza Inn Restaurant Pizza Inn: My lamb kebab Restaurant Pizza Inn: My Efes beer

• AnnaHermans's Profile Photo

Karvansara restaurant: Old karavanserai

by AnnaHermans Written Aug 11, 2012

Great food, extraordinary environment, music. The only thing is they charge you for a lot of extra's, which they don't tell. They say music and service is included and then they ask 10 % for the kitchen and 10 % for a show which is going to start after your dinner.

• Adventure Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

• AnnaHermans's Profile Photo

L'Aparte: Village chicken

by AnnaHermans Written Aug 11, 2012

We had a great and cheap meal in this restaurant. You have to go down the stairs and then you enter a big space. They are cheap and have a great menu. The decoration is something special.

Favorite Dish: Village chicken was great as you can see at the photo.

• Angel_6661981's Profile Photo

Avtoretroclub restaurant: The most uncommon restaurant in Baku

by Angel_6661981 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I liked Avtoretroclub restaurant most of all.
    Design of this restaurant is so uncommon: they separated restaurant to some different parts (Russian cottages - izba, Muslim cottages, big public banquet room with wood furniture, beautiful garden with waterfall and lake, also many rarities and ancient motorcycles and cars in the garden, living music ).
    There are European, Muslim, Russian dishes and also you can smoke hookah...
    Prices are very low...I had many different dishes and drinks and paid 10$ for everything...
    The director of this restaurant is very intellectual sportive ( little English, fluent Azeri and Russian speaking man), his name is Elshan...He likes travelers and makes them big discount.

Link: http://www.avtoretroclub.az/

Other restaurants:
    Link: http://www.restoran-az.com/eng/

Favorite Dish: shashlik and lula kebab and vine

• The Oilman's Inn: A Curry House? A Pub?

by OilyMike Updated Apr 4, 2011

It was a hot July afternoon and, after a long tiring meeting in Baku's Old City ( Icheri Sheher ), my colleague, Steve, and I were rushing towards the Maiden tower to have a relaxing lunch. Then suddenly, while crossing Boyuk Gala street, we came across this new brownish-red signboard - "The Oilman's Inn: Restaurant & Bar". We looked at each other and, without exchanging a single word, marched towards the large polished wooden door. I must admit, the instantaneous decision was more a result of our parched throats and empty stomachs than that of my ceaseless curiosity to try out new restaurants.

But when we reached near the door, the curiosity certainly took over as the hand-written menu hanging outside listed a rather unusual combination of offerings -- "Balti Chicken - 29,000, Lamb Biryani - 24,000, Pork Chops - 30,000, Full English Breakfast - 30,000, Fish 'n' Chip - 30,000". I had yet to come across an expat restaurant in Baku Azerbaijan that offers such a uniqe and diversified menu.

Is it a Curry House? A Pub? A Greasy Spoon? Curious, we pushed the door to enter and found ourselves in a dining hall with round tables and a bar at the end. There was a smaller hall on the right hand where, apparently, some private business lunch was being hosted. The semi formal interior and the cleanliness immediately forced me to rule out the Greasy Spoon option.

We were greeted and seated in the main hall by a well-mannered and pleasant waitress who handed over the menus.

Favorite Dish: A Set Lunch was on offer- soup, curry, rice, poppadum & soft drink for just AZM 32,000. But, instead of surrendering to their temping set lunch offer, I decided to explore their A La Carte menu. The starters and main course curries looked more like those offered by traditional Curry Houses - Samosas, Pakoras, Baltis, Masalas, Kormas, Biryanis etc. But the next pages of the menu seemed to take a sudden U-turn - Fillet Steaks, Lamb & Pork Chops, Egg Bacon Chips & Beans, Mushroom Omelette and many popular pub grubs. Then there was a section of Chinese dishes. Salad and smoothies selections were also quite impressive.

I ordered Italian Salad, Balti Chicken and Fruit Lassi. Steve went for Chicken Soup, Fillet Steak and Banana Shake. Service was fairly quick and courteous. Balti Chicken came with Pilau rice, Poppadum and pickles. Though, I was a bit surprised that the curry was served in a bowl, instead of the traditional Wok shaped pot as they serve back in the UK. No matter how it was served, the curry itself was probably the tastiest I ever had. Steve had the same comments about his steak and I don't argue with him when it comes to steak.

Total bill came out to be just AZM 110,000. As we were getting ready to get up, I saw the manager coming towards us- with a broad smile on face and two Discount Vouchers in hand. After enquiring if we enjoyed our lunch, she gave us the vouchers and requested us to come back for dinner. She also informe that they had opened just 2 weeks ago. It seems I was not very late in discovering this new gem of Baku dining scene.

The Oilman's Inn, Baku Azerbaijan The Oilman's Inn- Baku Azerbaijan Location Map - The Oilman's Inn. Baku Azerbaijan

Sultan Restaurant: Very Rich Menu

by Nuclei Updated Dec 8, 2009

This is a Turkish Restaurant. It is big and garden is covered with "tent" durng winter. The best thing about the restaurant is very rich menu. You can order grill, seafood, kebaps, Italian, Turkish, local, vegetarian, etc.

Favorite Dish: The grill is inside the restaurant, next to you. You can see and smell the food while cooking. Grill is recommended.

L'Olive: Best Italian

by Nuclei Updated Mar 9, 2008

Very modern styled Italian restaurant. The decoration is perfect, even you rarely see in Europe. Staff is excellent and English spoken. The food is excellent with variety of local and import wines.

Favorite Dish: We were 8 people and had different food. My favourite was Penne L'arrabiata but my friends enjoyed other foods. Local red wine is recommended.

Happy customer with dedicated waiter

Philarmony: Average Italian

by Nuclei Written Mar 9, 2008

This is the Italian restuarant belongs to Azerbaijan State Philarmony.
    It looks better from outside but inside is also not that bad. It was Sunday afternoon with "all you can eat" service. Pizza was average.

Favorite Dish: Nothing special. Average Italian.

Karavan Sarai: Local Food in an Inn

by Nuclei Written Mar 9, 2008

The architecture is very unique. There are medieval like rooms with stone walls. Rooms have fireplaces of old style. Service is good.

Favorite Dish: Local food is mainly meat (red). "Sashlik", "tike" are the ones with most reputation. But my favourite was meat and rice wrapped in grape leaves. Locally called "Yaprak Dolma".

Karavan Sarai

• davido7236's Profile Photo

Scalini's: Great Italian

by davido7236 Written Dec 6, 2007

Very nice food and a good atmosphere. Quite busy when I was there (Dec 2007). The bar next door is also part of the complex 'The Lounge'. The spaghetti bolognese was excellent and we had a lovely starter made with gorgonzola. The place has a good name locally and the service was ok. We also got service quickly, and the wine list was reasonable.

Favorite Dish: Spaghetti bolognese - nice and meaty, great sauce. Pasta was just right consistency and very hot.

• dflewellen's Profile Photo

Shanghai: Chinese in Baku

by dflewellen Updated Jul 17, 2007

I am indulging in a Chinese restaurant, where the ex-pats say the food is authentic and not served as a burnt offering to the gods. Started with Sour and Hot soup. Truly fantasic. No pork was used at all (Muslim country you know) rich and quite spicy, with sweet, hot, sour, and salty flavors. Really exceptional. Then crisp pork spring rolls. Perhaps a bit oily, but the filling was meaty, the wrapper crisp and flaky, and the flavor very well developed. No sauce needed. The Ginger-pork dumplings were light and tender. You could really taste the ginger spice. The dumpling dough was difficult to pick up because it would break under the pressure of the chopsticks. Each entree item is served on a small metal box with holes in it. Within each box are warming candles to keep the food hot! I ate slippery-coated chicken with fried cauliflower and carrots. Mild and succulent. The meal ended with "green" tea that was closed to red or weak oolong. Still warming and calming. No bother. A hot towel and some candied walnuts made a nice top off.

Favorite Dish: Sour and Hot Soup, without a doubt.

• Ruai's Profile Photo

Caravanisary: Meat with a little meat on the side!

by Ruai Updated Jun 4, 2007

This is located in an old Caravanisary beside the Maiden tower in the centre of the old town. The courtyard still has a well and around the courtyard are a series of private rooms decorated traditionally. Theres a band and I suspect dancers on occasions. Its all very picturesque (if a bit touristy). Theres also a gallery at the restaurant where you can chat up the charming artist as she tries to get you to buy a painting (very good but a little more than I'd intended to pay for dinner :-)

The service and food are very good although as everything is made fresh you should allow 45-50 minutes for it to come (This is a good general rule of thumb in Azerbaijan, especially outside Baku!)

Favorite Dish: They have a great meat dish which gives you a bit of everything they prepare (various kinds of Kebabs-Don't come to Azerbaijan if you're vegetarian :) Its too much for one but for a few its really nice.

PS If you are in a small place and don't want meat, they'll usually have good bread and really nice feta style cheese!

Atmosphere is guaranteed
    • Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Baku

Comments

Baku Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Baku restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Baku sightseeing.