Baku Warnings and Dangers

Burning car - Baku - Dec 07
    by davido7236
  • Burning car in busy street - Baku, Dec'07
    Burning car in busy street - Baku,...
    by davido7236
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by dayfiel

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Baku

• Minashka's Profile Photo

Watch out for the gypsies

by Minashka Written Feb 12, 2005

Now don't be scared, there are not that many gypsies in Baku and they usually hang out downtown - well that's where you're probably gonna end up though. So just be careful when a gypsy child or a mother (never an adult male) approaches you asking for money. They'll be all over you but you can get rid of them if you just keep ignoring them. But make sure you don't have anything valuable in your pockets or easily accessible purse. The children are good at pick pocketing!

• Work Abroad

• AydanMirza's Profile Photo

Baku. Is it Worth the Price?

by AydanMirza Written Aug 29, 2004

The famous spot for negotiable prices.

Be cautious about your money and price range. Whether you're buying a gift or clothes and etc. one can full you in a manner of seconds. It is always, and I mean always, mandatory to negotiate the price for a certain product.

Also, remember not to be fooled by young kids who are assumed to be homeless and in need of money. I am sure they are in their own special way, however, keep in mind you are not going to be able to save them all!

• dflewellen's Profile Photo

Driving is for the criminally insane

by dflewellen Updated Jul 17, 2007

Being in a hurry is not part of polite society here. All is done at a casual, relaxed pace. EXCEPT DRIVING! That is reserved for bi-polar psychopaths. Traffic the standard level of insane. No problem. Just ignore it. Walk in the street as needed. Only pay attention AFTER the driver honks the horn. Drivers will drive the wrong way down the road for miles against on-coming traffic. No one notices or seems to care. They do it passing the police. Apparently black Mercedes are automatically expected to do it (Mafia?), but if it is not a black Mercedes you MIGHT be stopped and ticketed. Just ask what the fine is, pay it, and continue to drive like a lunatic. "Tips" and fines (bribes) range from $5 to $100 (if you're driving while drunk). Reminds me of the Texas laws back when I was a kid.

• Traffic hazard!

by kensa70 Updated Feb 27, 2007

When going by car, or just going by car in the city center, you will find yourself in one gigant traffic accident. At least you will feel that way. The traffic is actually really bad, and crossing a street is really dangerous. Always cross streets were there are traffic signals. (and even though, be carefull) My advice, be carefull!

• ashtox's Profile Photo

Dont forget if you are a foreigner

by ashtox Written Dec 4, 2003

Although crime rate is not very high in Baku one must remember that it is one of the most corrupt countries. The Militsia (Police) dont much trouble you but still dont forget to always carry your original passport, valid visa & a Ovir registration. If you are planning to stay for more than 72 hours & if you dont have an Ovir registration then you may be in soup. Generally the hotel where you are going to stay takes care of that registration but if you are planning to stay in a rented apartment then you will have to do it yourself.

If you are planning to stay in a rented apartment make sure that you never ever open the door for a stranger. Let him keep knocking as long as he wishes. Also police are allowed to check your apartment only during the daytime & therefore don't open the door for Police at night.

Try & avoid talking anything about Armenia since Azeris don't like somebody mentioning about it. Also avaoid using the word itself else you may be in trouble. A friend of mine who is a businessman, was talking to his headoffice over a mobile phone in public place. In his conversation he used this unliked word 3-4 times & next day the police was at his doorstep.

By chance if police troubles you for the documents or so, just pay a few dollars ($ 5-10) & get away.

Always be careful with your money, passport & mobile phones in public places.

• persian_hiker's Profile Photo

Fake traffic tickets!

by persian_hiker Written Nov 5, 2007

when I was riving to Baku from Iran border some of polices takes teckets to me in different ways also fake! it was 2004 summer.but I heared that now if you observe speed limit (70 km/h) you dont take tickets!

• dayfiel's Profile Photo

Not a self service brothel

by dayfiel Written Sep 29, 2005

Despite what most would think,this is just a childrens wear shop. Baku has a ratio of 1 childrens wear shop to about every 5 children under 10 years from my estimation.
    I guess this place suits those who are buying cloths for a child that they want to make look a bit of a 'tosser'.

• rossbaku's Profile Photo

Police - Watch Out!

by rossbaku Written Mar 8, 2006

Beware of police in Baku, as when they see a white face they will try to get money out of you, especially if you are driving, although it is getting less and less frequent.

The majority of the police are friendly, but don't try to make friends with them too much!

• davido7236's Profile Photo

Traffic

by davido7236 Written Dec 10, 2007

Burning car in busy street - Baku, Dec'07

The traffic can be manic. We saw a burning car on our way in last time (Dec-07) near Heydar Aliyev Prospekt, and no-one appeared to be in a rush to put it out.
    Also, if you park in the wrong place, you may find that the police remove your number plates and you may have to pay to get them back. This happened to a friend who left his car, with hazard lights on, outside a shop while he went inside to buy something.
    The problem is also that it often isn't clear where you can and can't park in the city.

• Robbingof expats and tourists in Baku Azerbaijan

by Mojo52 Written Nov 27, 2012

Do not belief all these stories that say theift from expats working in Baku and tourists in not common. I have worked in Baku twice 2004 to 2006 and April 2012 until present. In 2004 to 2006 many of my expat friends were mugged in the city centre around fountain square. In the last 2 weeks I have been robbed 3 times twice in the street by beggars following you ans asking for money for food once was at midnight on my way home from the pub and once at 8pm on my way home from the gym both in fountain square. The third time last night in my apartment a man came to my apartment pretending to be from my landlord and was there to inspect repairs that need fixing. After he had left I notice my wallet and credit cards were missing.
    On speaking to the guys I work with it turns out there has been many of us robbed in the same way this year lately there has been a theif come to expat apartments claiming to be from landlord showing identification then beating the expats up in their apartments and robbung them. One of our co-female workers expat has been attached twice outside her apartment once in the evening on her way home from work and once in the morning on her way to work
    So be very careful when you are in Baku for pick pockets they are everywhere, and people approaching you at night never be allown and never open your apartment or hotel door to strangers.

• Work Abroad

• dflewellen's Profile Photo

Disturbing images

by dflewellen Written Jul 17, 2007

Driving down the road I saw sometthing beside a shop that completely got me. They were processing a whole cow in the alley to make up the meat counter for the store. They buy on-the-hoof. And they turn it from Elise the cow into fillet the dinner as you watch! The entire process occurs on the sidewalk. No more to speak about that!

• jubistuta79's Profile Photo

Peoples!!!!!!!

by jubistuta79 Written Jan 21, 2008

Be careful when you travel to baku especially with their local ppls:
    1. In the hotel: staff are mosre respect with local guest, compare with foreigner! Even they cant speak English (some of them), they dont like smile with you, and if they are busy, they can talk to you with a bad face, or they dont want to help you! So, you must be little bit fierce with them!
    2. Street seller: No 1 cheater in Baku. They offer you with 1st price, okay you ask for discount until less than 50%! What?? 50%??? yes my brother...less than 50%!I still not happy bcoz I bought one russian hat with double price!
    3. Taxi Driver: No 1 cheater also! Negotiate and deal beofer take a taxi!!!! For my taxi and trip (20 mins), I pay for 10azn, 7 azn lastly I knew its cost 5azn. So, everytime I will deal for 5 azn. Sometime, dont ask them to stop even you want take a pictures...bcoz they will ask you for more! Try prepare enough money, if not...they not return a balance and say, thank you my brother!!!!!
    4. Local ppls....NOT friendly with tourist or foreigner! So, just ignore....
    5. Small kids or old man asking a money! NEVER...i repeat... NEVER give money to every kids you meet at the street...If not, another kids will come and grab your body and your hands. If this happen, go inside to any shop...they will stop chasing you!

• maykal's Profile Photo

Baki did not strike me as a...

by maykal Written Aug 26, 2002

Baki did not strike me as a dangerous city, and I certainly never felt threatened walking around at night...obviously a female might have a different experience than me, but it seemed fairly safe to walk about after dark. One hazard is the crazy driving of the locals, although it is not as bad as in Georgia...it was never too difficult to cross roads. One thing I don't recommend is swimming in the Caspian...there are beaches near to Baki (the main road to the south passes Shikov Beach, the most popular beach) but to me they were very unappealing. Shikov beach was made to look attractive by building cafes and cleaning the sand evry day, and the addition of sun umbrellas did help, but that couldn't change the fact that a few hundred metres off shore was a whopping great oil rig! If the water in Baki Bay was anything to go by, you are likely to come out of the water with an oily black sheen!!!
    Not really a warning or a danger, more of an annoyance, but getting information about transport and buying tickets is a nightmare! I wanted to travel on the night train to Tbilisi, and went to Baki central station to buy my ticket. There were kassas (desks) numbered 1 to 28, none of them with any signs above them, so I picked one with less of a queue. The woman behind the desk was polite and smiled a lot, but couldn't give me any information...she suggested I go to another kassa. So, off I went to kassa 18, and met with the glare of an irate severe-looking woman, who told me I could not travel anywhere because I was Austrian! It took twenty minutes to persuade her that I wasn't Austrian (don't know what she had against Austrians!), then she announced that I didn't have the proper visa, without having even looked at my passport. I showed her my visa...'But we have no tickets for you!'...why?...'because you are a foreigner'...what difference does that make?...'I don't deal with foreigners!' she said in a tone of voice which suggested that this was completely obvious, and slammed the kassa's shutters shut! Off to kassa 12, having been joined by a multitude of translators who had decided that I needed to be told the information in Russian, German and Jibberish which did nothing but confuse me further, not knowing either language. The kassa lady also got annoyed with them, as we were doing just fine misunderstanding each other in Azeri/Turkish and did not need anything translated. She spent the next ten minutes screeching at my 'translators' (one of whom cheekily asked me to pay for his unwanted services!), leaving me to wander off and find a kassa which could help me out. I visited 9 kassas, until one of them decided that I was worthy of a ticket, and eventually it came to boarding time. The train was half empty...more than one of the kassa ladies had assured me the train was full! The thing that got me was the fact that nearly all of the women had been polite and even friendly to me, but completely unhelpful in every way. I noticed this a lot in Azerbaijan, and it intrigued me as well as annoyed me.

• Be careful of beggars. Also I...

by dcmontgo Written Aug 24, 2002

Be careful of beggars. Also I have been told that you should only take taxis with blue liscence plates at night. You are probably safer walking than riding in a cab, most do not have seatbelts. at many intersections, there are no stop signs, dirvers honk before they procede into the intersection. I would avoid walking by myself late at night. Another tip, only drink bottled water.

• davido7236's Profile Photo

Traffic

by davido7236 Written Dec 10, 2007
    Burning car - Baku - Dec 07

The traffic can be manic. We saw a burning car on our way into the centre recently (Dec-07) near Heydar Aliyev Prospekt, and no-one appeared to be in a rush to put out the flames.

Instant Answers: Baku

Comments

Baku Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Baku warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Baku sightseeing.