Naxcivan Travel Guide

Sunset in Nahchivan

Naxcivan Things to Do

the history museum of Ordubad 1 more image

by Minashka Written Jul 24, 2007

There is a museum of history of Ordubad in Ordubad :) The museum was created in 1980. 18th century "Qeyseriyye-Zorkhana" has been a home for the museum since May, 1990. Geyseriyye means covered east market and that's where they'd sell all kinds of jewels. In 17th-19th centuries fighters from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and Turkey came to fight and used the building as the ground for all of their sporting events, thus the name "Zorkhana" (place for holding athletic exercises). At the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries, the place became a silk shop. This ancient monument can be found in only 3 places: Samarkand, Tabriz and Ordubad.

On the way to Ordubad

by Minashka Written Feb 10, 2007

Ordubad is basically another region within Nahchivan, not too far driving away from Nahchivan city. It's a nice little town with its own villages and hosts many museums. Just like anywhere else in Nahchivan, the nature is picturesque and the people are amazingly friendly. One day is enough to visit all the museums and to grab a bite in one of the local restaurants. Ordubad is also a birth-place of many great poets of Azerbaijan... the land has it all ;-)

Waiting for a drop

by Minashka Written Feb 10, 2007

There's another cave almost at the top of the Asabi-Kehf mountain. It had a special aura and I felt like I was in a magical place when I entered the cave. The locals told me this is where you make a wish and then sit anywhere you like. If you get water drops on any part of your body (preferably on the head) that means your wish will come true. When you look up, you can't tell where the water is coming from. Definitely no remnants of rain because it almost doesn't rain the whole summer and the ceiling doesn't look wet either. I saw many women sitting there and one of them had been waiting for more than 6 hours with not a single drop whereas the other girl had her whole back wet. It's usually those girls who want to get married or those women who want to get pregnant that go to that cave. I was there out of total curiousity and what do you think? Of course I made a wish and sat on one of the stones. Hmmm not a single drop! Then I changed my seat and guess what? I had 4 drops that fell on my back and one on my hair ;-) Made me quite happy but I can't really remember what I wished for then...

• Religious Travel

Naxcivan Off The Beaten Path

Lake in Batabat

by Minashka Written Feb 10, 2007

Don't know how popular Batabat lakes are compared to Goy-gol in Ganja region of Azerbaijan, but this is a must-see if you're in Nahchivan! It may also be the reason for you to travel all the way to Nahchivan ;-) Before I went to that part of Azerbaijan, I had seen many pictures of Batabat and that was one of the reasons why I went there... I really didn't know what to expect. The drive there was fantastic with breath-taking scenery but when I got to Batabat, I was speechless! There were all these lakes there and untouched nature :) I don't know if that entire area is called Batabat or the biggest lake I saw there, but I didn't care. It was much too beautiful to think of the name or where I was. I breathed in the fresh mountain air (it's always cold there no matter the season) and drank some of that wonderful spring water. I drank it out of the cup the driver offered to me but when I touched the water, my fingers froze to the extent that they were burning! Apparently the best time to go there is in May when the lakes are surrounded by the fields of tulips :)))
    Yes, a military vehicle did catch up with us at some point on the road and followed us all the way to the lake, but you can't blame them. After all, we were almost at the border with enemy-Armenia.

• Study Abroad
    • Religious Travel

Naxcivan Favorites

Sunset in Nahchivan 1 more image

by Minashka Written Aug 9, 2007

Favorite thing: I like walking around the city when the sun is low over Nahchivan and the nature is at peace. There is a canal in the middle of the city and while standing on the bridge, one gets to watch one of the most beautiful sunsets.

Instant Answers: Naxcivan

Comments

Naxcivan Travel Guide
Map of Naxcivan