Kazbegi Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Kazbegi

• Female Travelers to Kazbegi be aware of rapists!

by mackomir Written Sep 26, 2012

In August we have witnessed a rape scene happening in the area, and luckily rescued a girl and reported the case to the local police. Be catious when hiking towards Sameba church, don't go alone, and don't let yourself be invited by the locals (usually dressed in casual military style) to have a drink. This can end up really bad. At night in Kazbegi we heard many screams, and were also advised by our driver not to walk around after dinner. After experiencing this shock we immediately left Kazbegi. Now after reading some reviews from the past, it looks like this was unfortunately not a singular case!

• Hiking and Walking
    • Women's Travel

• Warning to female travelers

by makeaplan Written Aug 14, 2012

Solo female travelers should be careful when staying in a 'guesthouse' (basically someone's free room in their house). The name of the guesthouse I stayed in was called Mariza's and here I was assaulted by a man, perhaps her son, although I'm not sure. It is a remote place and as I soon realised there wasn't much option of alternative place to go and no chance of leaving Kazbegi until the next day, if relying on the mashruktas like most people do.
    I realise this was one bad incident and doesn't speak for the whole town or guesthouses in general. But it is worth baring in mind what a vulnerable position you are in as a lone female traveler. These aren't city folk, they are mainly rural farmers and I believe their perception of Western women is a very mis-informed one. Seek out a reference of a good homestay, but better still travel with others. Even two women is safe enough but I would strongly advise not to stay here alone.

• Women's Travel

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Russian Men

by JohnniOmani Written Apr 1, 2007

Kazbegi is next to the Russian border so you need to be careful while trekking in the area due to a slight military presence but more importantly because of drunk Russian men. While walking around town before nightfall, a Frenchmen that I was travelling with was harrassed as well as myself. The man said he just wanted to talk to us but when we realized that he was extremely drunk and decided that we nothing to do with him he became very aggressive and loud. He demanded that we go with him in his truck to go to a local friends house to have a friendly drink. We both refused and said no thank you but he was relentless and showed up 15 minutes outside the general store with two more friends. He grabbed my French friend by the arm and was persistent on getting him to go with him. I had no choice but to intervene and said we appreciated the offer but we were in a hurry to meet friends and eventually he went away. My French friend was a bit nervous to walk home but I assured him we would be fine. The situation could have been a lot worse especially if there were any foreign girls with us. I have heard similar stories from other travellers so be careful at night and get your snacks before sunset.

Instant Answers: Kazbegi

Comments

Kazbegi Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kazbegi warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kazbegi sightseeing.