Mts'khet'a Restaurants

• View of Armazis Tskaro (Armazi Springs) Restaurant
    View of Armazis Tskaro (Armazi Springs)...
    by Hanka
    This is what the entrance looks like.
    by Hanka
    See the table in the tree?

Most Recent Restaurants in Mts'khet'a

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Old Taverna

by HORSCHECK Written Jul 13, 2014

After my first explorations of the town I felt in need of an early dinner. The outdoor seating of Old Taverna (Dzveli Taverna) looked quite inviting to me, as it offered good views of the Svetitskhoveli Cathedral. Also some locals were already eating there, which I thought could be a good sign.

So I took a seat at one of the brand new wooden tables and perused the bilingual menu. It offered a wide variety of Georgian dishes from Khinkali (Georgian dumplings) to all sorts of barbecued meats.

I ordered barbeque pork (8,00 GEL) and two Khinkali, one with meat (0,60 GEL) and one with cheese (0,70 GEL). I was quite happy that I could order only one of each, as in other places I had noticed that one has to order at least 5 pieces of khinkali. To drink I had a local Mtieli beer (2,00 GEL).

The food was excellent value for money and I really enjoyed my evening at the restaurant, so that I ordered a second beer and another khinkali with cheese.

Staff spoke sufficient English and was very friendly. As quite common in Georgia an extra of 10 % for service was added to the bill.

I can higly recommend a visit of the Old Taverna, especially when the weather is nice enough to sit outside.

Old Taverna Old Taverna Old Taverna: My barbeque pork Old Taverna: My Khinkali Old Taverna: My Mtieli beer
    • Adventure Travel

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Georgian Yard

by HORSCHECK Written Jul 12, 2014

On my second day in Mtskheta I had a late lunch in the Georgian Yard Restaurant (Kartuli Ezo). It has outdoor seating areas on both sides of the cobbled street. I took a seat under one of the large sun umbrellas, which were even equipped with small water sprays.

Quite a few tourists and locals were having lunch or just a few drinks here. The menu was in both Georgian and English language and again offered the usual selection of Georgian dishes. As it was only about 13:00 h and I already had quite a few beers on this trip, I decided to order one of the famous Georgian lemonades.

The choice was between Natakhtari and Zedazeni and as Natakhtari was also my preferred Georgian beer brand I wanted to try their lemonade as well. Unfortunately, it was sold out so that I finally decided for a Zedazeni lemonade (1,70 GEL), which came with a vanilla flavour.

To eat I had calf barbeque (7,00 GEL). Both my drink and the meal were very good value for the money and I enjoyed a pleasant lunch break at the Georgian Yard Restaurant. A 10 % service charge was directly added to the bill.

Georgian Yard: My calf barbeque Georgian Yard: Outdoor terrace Georgian Yard: Outdoor terrace Georgian Yard: My Zedazeni lemonade Georgian Yard: Menu
    • Adventure Travel

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Old Taverna: Excellent value Georgian cuisine!

by SWFC_Fan Written Mar 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I ate lunch at Old Taverna during our daytrip from Tbilisi to Mtskheta in February 2013.

Old Taverna is located in a building that looks to have been renovated in recent years, just a short walk from Svetitskhoveli Cathedral. Indeed, the plastic tables outside the front of the restaurant look across towards the cathedral. On a warmer day it would have been nice to sit outside and eat.

Despite being called Old Taverna, nothing about the restaurant's appearance suggested that it was very old. The dining room was bright and modern.

The menu featured a large selection of very good value Georgian cuisine; khinkali dumplings, khachapuris, lobio bean stew, soups, kebabs, barbecued pork and veal and ostri (meat in a tomato sauce). The menu was written in both Georgian and English and the friendly staff could speak English well.

Both Emma and I ordered lobio, a popular Georgian bean stew that was translated on the menu as "Haricot in Pot". It cost just 3.50 GEL (£1.40) for a good sized clay pot filled with piping hot stew. It was a bit too spicy for Emma's liking and had a strong taste of coriander. It was very tasty and exceptionally good value for money.

We shared a portion of Georgian bread (just 1.50 GEL / £0.60) for a basket full of delicious bread that was perfect for dipping into the lobio. We were going to order a portion each, but the waitress insisted that one portion would be enough for us both. She was right!

I enjoyed a cold glass of Mtieli beer (2 GEL / £0.80) – served in a "Zedazeni" beer glass, but I saw it being hand pulled from a Mtieli beer pump on the bar.

Emma had a bottle of "lemonade" (1.50 GEL / £0.60). As we discovered during our stay in Georgia, the "lemonades" produced by Zedazeni and Natakhtari tend to be any flavour but lemon. On this occasion, she received an orange flavoured "lemonade". On other occasions, we had lemonades flavoured with apple, pear, saperavi grape, vanilla and tarragon.

Excellent value Georgian cuisine near Svetitskhoveli Cathedral. Recommended!

Old Taverna, Mtskheta Lobio, bread and beer at Old Taverna, Mtskheta Lobio (bean stew) at Old Taverna, Mtskheta A Mtieli beer at Old Taverna, Mtskheta Menu at Old Taverna, Mtskheta

• Hanka's Profile Photo

Armazis Tskaro (Armazi Springs): Eat khinkali high in a tree!

by Hanka Written Mar 18, 2013

Armazis Tskaro is one of those really neat Georgian restaurants where you eat out in the fresh air at a picnic table, only this establishment is tucked into a small gorge hidden in the cool shade of tall trees and serenaded by a babbling brook. The main restaurant is built upon the bedrock along the brook, out from which spout several artesian springs, thus the name Armazis Tskaro. You can eat at a table bridging the brook, or at a table on the terrace overlooking the Mtkvari River. You can even eat at a table high in a tree, built like a ship's crow's nest. The restaurant is open April through October and provides an exquisite relief from the summer's heat and sun. If the weather is bad or too cool for your preference, you can move your meal inside one of their several private dining rooms. There is only one drawback to this place. While the bathrooms are clean, they are a little rustic and unfortunately have "squatty-potties".

View of Armazis Tskaro (Armazi Springs) Restaurant This is what the entrance looks like. See the table in the tree? Tables and a bar on the terrace over the river. A rope and wood bridge to their rental cabins.

• Hanka's Profile Photo

Old Mtskheta: Georgian fare, decent prices, clean bathrooms

by Hanka Written Dec 14, 2012

Old Mtskheta restaurant is located on the edge of the large parking lot established at the east end of town. It has indoor and outdoor seating, and specializes in grilled Georgian food, such as kebabi and shashlik. The kebabi, shashlik, khinkali, khachapuri and fries all were better than some places as they were not overcooked or oversalted. The tomato and cucumber salad was fresh topped with herbs. The restaurant has lots of windows so it is light inside during the day, but still has the stagnant cigarette smell of a bar. For the most part, I felt this was a standard restaurant with food a little bit on the better side. The nice thing about this restaurant is that it is right next to all the souvenir vendor booths and the parking lot, so you can catch a meal before or after you sight see, and go to the bathroom in a nice facility.

• jankenpon's Profile Photo

No Name Known: River Restaurant

by jankenpon Updated Mar 6, 2007

This restaurant featured South Pacific looking thatched cabin type rooms for private parties...which was well suited for our large group. Each cabin was situated with its own fireplace - a must for this time of year. There was outdoor seeing with a view of the river and Svetitskhoveli - but it was a bit cold for that...would be a great summer restaurant though and I can see it getting a lot more business at that time of the year.

Favorite Dish: They have all the traditional Georgian foods, which are all delicious. Ask for their specialty salad, it was a mixed of cheeses, lettuce, tomato, et cetera - they brought it to us as a gift since we were so large a group I am guessing.

Looks like Polynesia but with Georgian food.

• jankenpon's Profile Photo

Sachasnikhe Restaurant: On your way to Jvari Church

by jankenpon Written Feb 26, 2007

A typical Georgian restaurant in Mst'khet'a. A good place to stop and take pictures of Jvari from accross the river.

Favorite Dish: They have most of the national food there, we had Khinkali (A ball of dough filled with meat and boiled) and Mthvadi (Meat roasted over an open fire. Mtsvadi can be roasted flesh of lamb, Pig and young goat). Both were very good as usual in any Georgian restaurant I've been to so far.

Jvari from the restaurant.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Sachasnikhe: kinkhalis, anyone?

by call_me_rhia Updated Aug 19, 2006

Sachasnikhe is a large restaurant outside town ith a huge garden (with tables) well known for its kinkhalis... plenty of people from tbilisi drive here just to eat them. Kinkhalis are a sort of "momos" filled with meat.

Favorite Dish: Delicious kinkhalis among local people, which made it imperative to eat them correctlu. This means /see photo) holding one from the twisted part with one hand, and eating the meat and sucking the broth with your mouth, without spilling a drop. The twisted part is not to be eaten

eating kinkhali

• Two choices.: Restaurants in Mts'khet'a

by Tobias_Plieninger Written Feb 5, 2006

In Mts'khet'a I have found two restaurants.

There is one nice place beside the river and the road to Tbilisi.

There you can sit and watch the river.

The other possibilty is the shop inside Tbilis there you can eat sausages or
    local bakeries and coffee.

Favorite Dish: -

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Georgian Yard: Good Restaurant near Svetitskhoveli Cathedral

by lotharscheer Updated Nov 15, 2012

Quite nice restaurant, exzellent food and big plates.

Favorite Dish: Beans in Clay Pot, Kebab and very good fried potatoes.

Georgian Yard Svetitskhoveli Cathedral Jvari Monastery Svetitskhoveli Cathedral Svetitskhoveli Cathedral
    • Castles and Palaces

Instant Answers: Mts'khet'a

Comments

Mts'khet'a Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mts'khet'a restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mts'khet'a sightseeing.