Although relatively unadorned compared to later work, this largely Seljuq mosque was begun in the tenth century and completed in the following century. Substantial renovation, undertaken by one Abu Taher, tookplace in the second half of the twelfth century, and is attested to in severalstucco inscriptions. Further inscriptions concernig tax reductions for the Shi’ite inhabitants of Ardestan date from 1615. The compnents of the mosque illustrate how architectural devices were remembered long after the circumstances that gave rise to them had been forgotten.
An eleventh century kiosk derived from the Zoroastrian fire temple lies within, while four ivans- high vaulted open chambers derived from Sassanidaudlence halls - surround the dome. The best Sanctuary brickwork outside Isfahan.