Esfahan Tourist Traps

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Esfahan

• js77's Profile Photo

Local guide

by js77 Updated Dec 29, 2006

My guide in Esfahan I hired through travel agency was not as good as guides I had to deal with in other Iran cities. His explanations in mosques or palaces were very simple and short - much more information I got from Lonely Planet. When I asked if this is a mihrab I was looking at, he wondered how do I know what is mihrab. So, if he thought I don't know it he should explain me without asking as in my opinion mihrab is very important in mosque. And he also took me to carpet sellers and miniatures artist for "demonstration of art", but I was paying for the time of his explanations about mosques and palaces. OK, I am sure not all Esfahan guides are like him, just be ready for that. Anyway I do not regret anything, it was ok though not much helpful for me.

• kiwigeo's Profile Photo

Swaying Minaret

by kiwigeo Written Nov 26, 2004

Exciting

If you want to waste your time and money then this could be the attraction for you. The idea is that a man will climb up into the minaret and shake it. The construction is such that it will sway a small way. The "swaying" occurs on the hour, so you may have to wait for this monumental piece of action.

Unique Suggestions: Do not go.

Fun Alternatives: Emam Khomeini Square or the bridges.

• Shaking minarets

by jkseddon Written Sep 25, 2004

These minarets apparently used to shake in unison when a guy climbed to the top of one. They are now covered in scaffolding.

Particularly if they put the prices for admission back up in Iran (they were dropped in late summer 2004), avoid this place!

• Nourin's Profile Photo

Old old ruins

by Nourin Updated Feb 10, 2004

Atishkade Esfahan

These old mud brick ruins of a 2,000 year old fire temple are not particularily interesting unless you get excited very easily by old old things. There nothing much left and the 20,000 Rial entrance fee makes it not at all worth it.

Unique Suggestions: If you come anyway it's possible to climb up the hill from the back without passing the entrance. The view over Zayande river is not too bad.

Instant Answers: Esfahan

Comments

Esfahan Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Esfahan tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Esfahan sightseeing.