Zeyn od Din Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Things to Do

Zeyn od Din Things to Do

• Bull's eye!

The next morning was equally as relaxing as the previous afternoon had been, and we whiled away some time by playing darts. A small dart board had been mounted in one of the alcoves and anyone could play. I think David won in the end. As you can see from picture five, not everyone was good at even hitting the board!

• The real camel caravan

The next morning we got up early and climbed to the roof of the caravanserai and looked out over the desert scene spread below us. There is the distance was a pair of camels, and that really just completed the scene and made me feel like I really was on the Silk Road.

• Get on down

Off the main dining room were a few small private rooms where you could laze on the floor on soft cushions, drinking tea and smoking the calyan (water pipe). These rooms were dimly lit, very romantic and atmospheric and a great place to bring a loved one or your family. Again it was just like it was taken straight out of 1001 Arabian Nights. There...

Zeyn od Din Restaurants

by grets Written Jul 1, 2007

I was very surprised to find that the dinner was not actually cooked on the premises; it was brought in from Yazd by the manager. Somehow that disappointed me, I don’t know why, as it should not have mattered where the food was cooked.

The food was good though, and I suppose that’s all that matters. It was a buffet which consisted of the usual salad stuff, there was pasta in a tomato sauce, picled garlic (very nice), potato sticks, chips (they were rather on the greasy side), plain rice, pulau rice, eggplant and chicken fesunjun – a dish of chicken in a dark pomegranate sauce. I thought it was very enjoyable, but Yasmina claimed it was not a good example of fesenjun.

Zeyn od Din Local Customs

• Share and share alike

While we were sitting at our table drinking tea, a lady brought some plates with snacks over to us. Obviously we assumed she was a member of staff and that this was included in the price. Wrong. She was a fellow traveller and was sharing the snacks she and her family had brought with them. We spent a long time chatting to the family and having our...

• Dress-down everyday

For us ladies, it was absolute added bonus that the rule of the hijab is very relaxed here, and women do not need to cover up with a scarf and long sleeves/trousers. As you can see from the picture, Tiarni got rather carried away….. Actually, it was quite amusing, as we’d travelled with these five ladies for about a week by this stage, and we...

• Zeyn od Din Hotels

0 Hotels in Zeyn od Din

Zeyn od Din Warnings and Dangers

by grets Written Jul 1, 2007

This mangy animal head scared the life out of a couple of us in the evening. It was on the wall just where the steps lead to the roof, and I didn’t see him until he appeared in the corner of my eye just as I was walking up the stairs. In the dimly lit evening, he looked particularly spooky, but I didn’t like the look of him too much in the broad daylight the nest day either!

• Architecture

Zeyn od Din Tourist Traps

by grets Written Jul 1, 2007

The greatest excitement of the evening, as well as the greatest disappointment, was when we discovered the wine glasses. Knowing that alcohol is available surreptitiously in most Iranian homes, we got very excited, especially as we’d already been allowed to shed the hijab. Was this to be a drunken party? No such luck. The red wine was in fact pomegranate juice. Oh well, we made the most of it and toasted with it all the same.

• Wine Tasting

Zeyn od Din Off The Beaten Path

by grets Written Jul 1, 2007

The mountain scenery around the Caravanserai at Zeyn-od-Din was absolutely stunning. The mountains are best appreciated in the late evening when the sun shines more at an angle, thus creating a less flat-looking landscape with warmer colours. We got there just as the sun was going down over the horizon, and it really was beautiful. The mountains are part of the Zagros Mountains, a chain stretching right across large areas of Iran. The two nearest high peaks are Kuh-e Madvar at 3,600 metres and Shir Kuh at 4,075 metres. Judging by the flat ground between the peaks, I would guess that this was once a sea bottom. It is quite surreal, as the road winds its way for miles and miles without any hills, whilst you are surrounded by majestic peaks.

Instant Answers: Zeyn od Din

Comments

Explore Deeper into Zeyn od Din
Anyone for tea?