Tehran Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by siroos

Most Recent Restaurants in Tehran

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

street vendors: those huge ice-creams

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 6, 2008

the huge ice-cream

Near Issatiss Mall, in Valiasr avenue in Northern Tehran, right opposite Park-e-mellat, it's full of road-side vendors selling colourful ice-creams and fresh pomegranade juices, as well as other juices/shakes.

Favorite Dish: I found my pomegranage juice jsut perfect, and my friends had banana milkshakes that had just everything in them, nuts, fresh fruits, jelly, chocolate... however I was more fascinated by the size of the ice-creams, which no of us had - we were wondering how to eat them without spilling them on our clothes. We only took pictures, and noted that each local that bought one, had it falling on his shirt 30 seconds later...

• aliamiri's Profile Photo

General info.: Int'l cuisine in Tehran

by aliamiri Written Apr 4, 2008

Actually not only in Tehran, but also in big cities like Esfahan and Shiraz there are thousands of restaurants in different categories: from cheap to very expensive ones, street-side to big luxury ones, hotels restaurants; and so many immunerable fast food shops of course! But most of restaurants serve Iranian foods, like many types of stews and rice; different kinds of beaf and chicken kebabs, and more traditional foods is some places.

Talking about international cuisines ... at least in Tehran there are a few of restaurants where serve them, but all of them are in expensive luxury category. And obviously it's relatively; by expensive I mean something $10 to $20 for a meal per person.

I can list some of those in Tehran:
    - Hatam Buffet restaurant, located in Vali-Asr Ave. close to Zafar int. (almost northern Tehran)
    - Narenjestan restaurant, located in Sarve Sharghi Blvd. in Saadat Abad region (northwestern Tehran)
    - Tamasha restaurant, located in Milade Noor shopping center in Shahrak Gharb region (northwestern Tehran)
    - Haft Sur restaurant, located in Mirzaye Shirazi St. (almost northern central Tehran)

In the other hand there are some Japanese, Arabic, Inidan, etc. restaurants in Tehran which I will try to gather their info and post them here.

• farhad1967's Profile Photo

Yas Restaurant: Delicate art of persian cooking

by farhad1967 Updated Sep 1, 2007

What makes Yas Restaurant special is: it's neat and clean, tastefully decorated, warm and friendly staff, Good sound of Jazz played at background, and the actual food is amazing,
    Although they can provide 300 sits, place is still warm and intimate.
    Rice tasted and looked wonderful, and you should know no other nation can cook rice as Iranian do. Grilled kebabs were wonderfully juicy but thoroughly cooked. I had Chelo(means rice in persian) Kebab Sultani which comes with tender fillet of Lamb accompanied with skewer of minced lamb on the bed of saffron rice, grilled tomatoes crowned with small chunk of butter.
    I spoke to the owner of the Yas restaurant Mr. A.Nasserian who was very kind and friendly and I was told that they were in chelo kebab business for almost 150 years and he was the 5th generation, and that makes them the oldest Chelo Kebab restaurant in Tehran.
    If you traveling to Tehran, Don't forget to check them out!

Favorite Dish: Grilled kebabs were wonderfully juicy but thoroughly cooked. I had Chelo(means rice in Persian) Kebab Sultani which comes with tender fillet of Lamb accompanied with skewer of minced lamb on the bed of safrron rice and grilled tomatoes crowned with small chunk of butter.
    as I was going through their menu I noticed that they had few steaks and Caspian sea white fish which I tried next day of my visit to Yas Restaurant and it was wonderfully tasty served with dill weed & broad bean rice Like I never had before.

• Women's Travel
    • Luxury Travel
    • Work Abroad

• grets's Profile Photo

A small restaurant: Side street dining

by grets Written Jun 11, 2007

The doorway that attracted me

When we came out of Golestan Palace, we were looking for something to eat, but there was nowhere obvious. I was so sure that somewhere as tourist-orientated as Golestan Palace is, that it would be surrounded by souvenir shops and eateries. But, no.

The problem of course, is that most restaurants and shops have signs only in Farsi script, so you really need to check each store close up to see what they sell.

We bought a couple of freshly squeezed fruit juices from a street vendor, and as we were drinking those, I looked down a side street, and noticed a doorway with a plant outside. Putting two and two together, I assumed this to be a restaurant and sent David to investigate. It was indeed a small eatery and we went inside.

The menus were all in Farsi script and no-one spoke any English. With the help of my phrase book, sign language and a lot of laughter, including the waitress bringing out plates of various ingredients to show us what she meant, we finally placed an order. I hoped I’d ordered one chicken and one lamb, and was very pleased when that was exactly what arrived!

Favorite Dish: The chicken came served with a sour sauce and a side dish of rice with barberries and the crispy crust I like so much. David’s lamb shank was delicious too and we had a yogurt each, the obligatory bread plus two local colas. The whole bill came to 70,000 IRR (just over $7). The food was tasty, the meat was lean, the portions were large, the place was clean, the waitress was friendly and we had a lot of fun trying to communicate. What more could you want from a meal, especially at those prices!

Pizza Sandwich Nikate: Fast food

by grets Written Jun 11, 2007

Just a few doors along from the Atlas hotel on Taleqani Street, this place served – you guessed it – pizza and sandwiches. We both had hot dogs, which were massive (see picture 2) and very tasty. They were full of relish and a year’s supply of mayonnaise. They even delivered our hot dogs to the hotel.

Shabestan-e-No Restaurant: Not made to feel too welcome

Impressive lights outside

The Shabestan-e-No Restaurant was a nice enough place, but we found the staff very rude and arrogant. One particular chappie was dressed in a traditional outfit (picture 4), and would make a big show of serving the tea, ‘throwing’ it down on the table. There was a cover charge for the music, which we refused to pay, and that bothered the staff. We arrived well before the singer and when we left he had only just started, hence our reluctance to pay the extra. We were told not to take photos of the performers, but by that time it was too late! Many of the guests threw money at the singer too.

Favorite Dish: There was a very nice salad buffet which you paid extra for, but it was well worth it (see picture 3). For main course we had Saffron Loghmen Chelokebab after our first two choices were ‘finished’. It was very nice. One of the highlights of the evening, however, was the dessert – something called zoolbie (not sure of the spelling), a very sweet and sticky thing made from flour, rosewater and honey. Yummy! It was served with some delicious dates (picture 5).

The meal came to IRR 70,000 each, including the starter buffet, water, doogh (the Iranian yogurt drink), main course, dessert and chai (tea).

Atlas Hotel Restaurant: Comfortable and safe

by grets Written Jun 11, 2007

The Atlas Hotel Restaurant was quite pleasant, although nothing more than that. The first night we were there, they’d run out of rice – unheard of in Iran! The menu was quite extensive, but many of the items were ‘finished’. We ate here a few times, and had Barley soup (picture 1) for starter the first night. The soup was thick, but a little bland and tasted faintly of lemon. For main course I had the Bakhtiari Kebab (picture 2) which was a mixed lamb and chicken kebab, and David had the Kareshi kebab (picture 3) which was lamb fillet. Both dishes were IR 60,000 each and the meat was very, very tender and tasty. They were both served with thick wedges of potato, pickles, chutneys, carrots and lemon.

Favorite Dish: On our second visit, we both had the Soltani kebab (picture 4) which came with one skewer with lamb fillets and one skewer with minced lamb. Again it was very enjoyable. This time it was served with rice which is cooked in such a way that it gets a crusty bottom (picture 5). Yummy!

Chelo Kebab: A great little place

Grete with the food

Before we’d managed to find our bearings on the first day, we were looking for something to eat at lunchtime, when we came across this chelo kebab place. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you the name of the place, as it was only written in Farsi script (which I don’t understand), and the young chap who ran it did not speak a single word of English.

Favorite Dish: We pointed to the food we wanted (a chicken kebab and a chelo (minced lamb) kebab. They were cooked in front of us and served on bread with chillies (very hot!), onion and lemon. We enjoyed them very much. The establishment also offered a take-away service. It cost us IR 30,000 (approx $3) for two kebabs and two soft drinks. I was amused to watch the young chap threading some unidentifiable meat on to skewers in-between serving customers – I don’t think I have ever seen anyone wash their hands as much as he did! Before and after every customer as well as sometimes in-between too just for good measure.

• will_yong's Profile Photo

Azari Traditional Restaurant: Traditional atmosphere, great food + music!

by will_yong Written Jun 7, 2007

A great place to go just to get a feel of something old-fashioned in this modern city. This old "ghahvekhune" or coffee-house (coffee not served) is decked out top to toe in traditional paintings, rugs and other handicrafts. The waiters are straight out of the Qajar period with felt hats and waistcoats and they swish about delivering tea, dates and hot biscuits to all arrivals.

You first walk into the coffee-shop part of the restaurant where men are filling the air with sweet tobacco smells from their ghaliyoons. Then you pass through into the dining area which has tables and chairs around the edges and raised platforms covered with carpets in the middle for those who are comfortable cross-legged.

There are three musical acts on every night at the Azeri so it's great to linger.

Favorite Dish: The Azari serves abgoosht, kababs and fried fish only. The abgoosht is definitely what to go for if you want the definitive Persian dining experience. It's a meat and beans stew served with bread, fresh herbs and, of course, doogh. The waiters here bring huge trays to your table and set to work furiously pounding the beans and potatoes while you eat the soup with bread. Don't miss it.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Iranian Traditional Restaurant: A whole lotta flirting goin on

by JohnniOmani Written Mar 6, 2007

This place is a very hip place to visit and dine and the whole atmosphere is great with young good looking locals sitting down to catch up with each others and flirt like there is no tomorrow. I visited this place on a weekend night and the place was full of young locals having a good time. This underground restaurant offers great dizi and kebabs and it has modern hip music. Good fun.

Favorite Dish: The love dizi but the kebabs were good.

• Early morning breakfast

by en_one Written Dec 5, 2006

Something to get your tummy filled in the early morning. The only shop open as early as 6.00am. We arrived at 6.45am. specialised in sheep head soup, leg and neck. That is the only thing they serve in the morning. Served in small portion with bread and lemon. Cost me 44,000 riyal with tea (for two person). Quite pricey for this type of food. Enough to get us from getting hungry till 2.00pm. Maybe the fat!

• Dont Know but it says - welcome to you shop!: Kebab and Drinks

by en_one Updated Dec 5, 2006

The bread is unlimited

This is just small outlet located along small lane. The food is good and fresh. highly patronised by local. The shop has created an attic to accomodate additional area otherwise the crowd would end up standing. Our meal (6 kebabs and carbonated drinks) for three people cost 60,000 riyals. Filling and satisfied.

• The Kilt: Excellent steaks

by asoltani Updated Nov 7, 2006

The Kilt is a world quality restaurant in Northern Tehran. Rustic atmosphere and sizling steaks served on cast iron plates. If you are in Tehran and crave western food this restaurant is an absolute must. the address: 161 Fereshteh Street, tel: 98 21-2204 4947

Favorite Dish: Steak Frites
    Sturgeon steak
    Caviar and lemon

• Business Travel
    • Architecture

• hydronetta's Profile Photo

Κhayyam Traditional Restaurant: For a "pricey" but delicious meal

by hydronetta Written Aug 31, 2006

Close to Khayyam Metro Station, in the heart of Bazaar, this restaurant is housed in a renovated 300 years old building, though it doesn’t compete to the atmosphere of other traditional restaurants we visited in Iran (too much neon lights).
    The meals are hearty (as usual kebabs mainly), nicely served, it is pricey (at the moment the only other costumers were Greek journalists) comparing to other restaurants but it is well worth for a farewell meal.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Armenian Club: Best Vibe Ever

by JohnniOmani Written May 26, 2006

The Armenian Club has to be one of the best restaurants in Iran and in the Middle East. After backpacking Tehran in the summer (40 deg) I decided that I wanted to treat myself so I tried out this restaurant near the embassies. It is a Christian establishment so women can eat without a hijab. The restaurant doesnt advertise its existence but look for the yellow light and tiny buzzer. Muslims cant enter making this a paradise for travellers. There were no backpackers there when I was there but the local Armenian staff (in particular the manager that looks like Albert Einstein) are the sweetest people in the world. They even invited me downstairs into the basement for a traditional Armenian wedding!! My favorite restaurant in the Middle East. Fantastic.

Favorite Dish: BBq sturgeon or anything chicken!

Instant Answers: Tehran

Comments

Tehran Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tehran restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tehran sightseeing.