Tehran Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Tehran

• omidamini's Profile Photo

Popular information: Best Iranian Food

by omidamini Updated Aug 9, 2010

Food is important for you or no ? Make good and delicious food is a art, Iran's women are very good cookery.
    Some foods are popular and some of them are special and made in a part of my country. for example every cities you can find Cholo kabab, Jooje kabab, Ghorme Sabzi and .... .but for example only in Azarbayejan you can find Ashe doogh, or in east of Iran people like Shirin Polo from another place.
    In Tehran you can find restaurants in every place. if you go for shopping in Bazaar don't worry you can eat very delicious food and it is cheaper than another place.
    In north of Tehran food's price more expensive than another place. fast food don't serve in restaurant. but i don't like fast food and i prefer eat my wife pizza.

• kiwigeo's Profile Photo

Many to choose from: Darband

by kiwigeo Written Nov 26, 2004

Darband is one of the few places to go out and eat outdoors in Tehran. All restaurants serve similar food which is not of a good standard, but there is little choice.......Really, you are paying for the marginally less polluted, greener northern Tehran suburb location.

Favorite Dish: Try a kebab!

Outdoor Eating in Tehran

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

street vendors: those huge ice-creams

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 6, 2008

Near Issatiss Mall, in Valiasr avenue in Northern Tehran, right opposite Park-e-mellat, it's full of road-side vendors selling colourful ice-creams and fresh pomegranade juices, as well as other juices/shakes.

Favorite Dish: I found my pomegranage juice jsut perfect, and my friends had banana milkshakes that had just everything in them, nuts, fresh fruits, jelly, chocolate... however I was more fascinated by the size of the ice-creams, which no of us had - we were wondering how to eat them without spilling them on our clothes. We only took pictures, and noted that each local that bought one, had it falling on his shirt 30 seconds later...

the huge ice-cream

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Iranian Traditional Restaurant: A whole lotta flirting goin on

by JohnniOmani Written Mar 6, 2007

This place is a very hip place to visit and dine and the whole atmosphere is great with young good looking locals sitting down to catch up with each others and flirt like there is no tomorrow. I visited this place on a weekend night and the place was full of young locals having a good time. This underground restaurant offers great dizi and kebabs and it has modern hip music. Good fun.

Favorite Dish: The love dizi but the kebabs were good.

• will_yong's Profile Photo

Azari Traditional Restaurant: Traditional atmosphere, great food + music!

by will_yong Written Jun 7, 2007

A great place to go just to get a feel of something old-fashioned in this modern city. This old "ghahvekhune" or coffee-house (coffee not served) is decked out top to toe in traditional paintings, rugs and other handicrafts. The waiters are straight out of the Qajar period with felt hats and waistcoats and they swish about delivering tea, dates and hot biscuits to all arrivals.

You first walk into the coffee-shop part of the restaurant where men are filling the air with sweet tobacco smells from their ghaliyoons. Then you pass through into the dining area which has tables and chairs around the edges and raised platforms covered with carpets in the middle for those who are comfortable cross-legged.

There are three musical acts on every night at the Azeri so it's great to linger.

Favorite Dish: The Azari serves abgoosht, kababs and fried fish only. The abgoosht is definitely what to go for if you want the definitive Persian dining experience. It's a meat and beans stew served with bread, fresh herbs and, of course, doogh. The waiters here bring huge trays to your table and set to work furiously pounding the beans and potatoes while you eat the soup with bread. Don't miss it.

• Zeyni's Profile Photo

Koohpaye: Which Restaurant to go in darband

by Zeyni Written Sep 12, 2008

If you visit tehran you will probably go to darband. There are many restaurants to choose from in darband. I have tried a lot of them and I think the Koohpaye Restaurant has the best food. The Staff and the service are also very good. But one problem is if you go on thursday night or friday the restaurant is probably full. if so you can go to behesht restaurant which is just opposite Kohpaye and that restaurant also has fine food.

Favorite Dish: This restaurant has all kind of kebab and fish and etc. I've tried Jooje kebab and bakhtiary and both of them were very delicious. YUmmmm.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Sofre Khane Sonnati Sangalag: Traditional style eatery

by suvanki Updated Oct 29, 2009

After a busy morning and early afternoons sightseeing, I was very pleased when my guide said we were off to eat.

We drove to Park -e-Shahr, which we'd passed by earlier.
    In this park is this traditional tea-house/ restaurant.
    Outside was a covered stall, with the smell of charcoal emanating from a small fire, next to a samovar.

Entering the restaurant, there was a choice of sitting on chairs at a table, or on the carpet covered raised platforms lining the walls. My guide and driver headed for the former option.

My guide than ran through the menu, which was going to be a familiar mantra during my trip- kebabs - chicken, lamb, minced lamb, chicken and lamb, sheep's neck, sheep's muscle ! (I heard this mentioned a few times, but never found out exactly what it was!)

I opted for the chicken/lamb combo, which arrived on a platter, on a mound of rice.
    Yogurt with garlic/ shallot and to drink - Dugh - Yogurt and water flavoured with a herb, which I thought was dill, but my guide said it was mint. Similar to Turkish ayran or Indian lassi (Apparently it is a no- no to drink dugh with fish)

So this was my first of many chelo kebabs, my first encounter with Iranian cutlery - spoon and fork - no knife (although my guide requested one from the waiter for me), then following the meal came tea (cay).

The Iranian way is to place a lump of sugar (ghand) behind the front teeth and suck the tea
    (Prior to my trip, I had come across a 'packing list' for Iran, which mentioned a tea spoon- it had puzzled me at the time - why would I need to pack a teaspoon? now I knew!)

During our meal, we'd been joined by my guides mother, she spoke quite a bit of English. Apparently in Iran, after 30 years of working, you can retire - she'd been a teacher, but after retiring, had started work in tourism, as had her husband.

I was surprised to realise that this year, I had been working 30 years exactly, so I'd have been eligable for retirement!!!!

This was a pleasant place to eat, with a nice atmosphere. Some days musicians play here, I think if we had arrived earlier, we'd have heard them.

Open 09.00 - 23.00

Favorite Dish: Chicken and lamb kebab - it was my first in Iran - so still a novelty- didn't realise how, after nearly 3 weeks I would come to dread the menu being read out, listing the 'varieties' of skewered grilled meats with rice!

Just before my visit, there had been a few news items about the increasing costs of rice, and how people were having to restrict their consumption of the white grain. Don't think this had filtered through to Iran judging through the mounds that were set before me!

Sofre Khane Sonnati Sangalag Sofre Khane Sonnati Sangalag
    • Music

• aliamiri's Profile Photo

General info.: Int'l cuisine in Tehran

by aliamiri Written Apr 4, 2008

Actually not only in Tehran, but also in big cities like Esfahan and Shiraz there are thousands of restaurants in different categories: from cheap to very expensive ones, street-side to big luxury ones, hotels restaurants; and so many immunerable fast food shops of course! But most of restaurants serve Iranian foods, like many types of stews and rice; different kinds of beaf and chicken kebabs, and more traditional foods is some places.

Talking about international cuisines ... at least in Tehran there are a few of restaurants where serve them, but all of them are in expensive luxury category. And obviously it's relatively; by expensive I mean something $10 to $20 for a meal per person.

I can list some of those in Tehran:
    - Hatam Buffet restaurant, located in Vali-Asr Ave. close to Zafar int. (almost northern Tehran)
    - Narenjestan restaurant, located in Sarve Sharghi Blvd. in Saadat Abad region (northwestern Tehran)
    - Tamasha restaurant, located in Milade Noor shopping center in Shahrak Gharb region (northwestern Tehran)
    - Haft Sur restaurant, located in Mirzaye Shirazi St. (almost northern central Tehran)

In the other hand there are some Japanese, Arabic, Inidan, etc. restaurants in Tehran which I will try to gather their info and post them here.

• johnsakura's Profile Photo

Street Restaurants: Street Restaurants

by johnsakura Written Oct 17, 2004

This restaurants will be te perfect place to eat cheap, intereact with locals and if you're in a hurry you can easily get away in as soon as you eat due to the easy and fast way they will give you the food.

Favorite Dish: As a vegetarian, I dont eat meat obviously, so Falafel along with kilo yogurt some rice and beans soup make a tasty meal. The prices are so low. For maybe all this you will pay about 10000Rials, about 1 euro. The 1 kilo yogurt costs 700Rials.

tehran iran

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Ferdossi Hotel traditional restaurant: a beautiful place...

by call_me_rhia Written Apr 12, 2008

Located on the ground floor of the Ferdossi grand Hotel, there's a cosy little saloon that serves as a traditional restaurant... nicely decorated and with a lovely fountain right at its entrance.

Favorite Dish: We did not have any meals there - though the menu looked interesting. The restaurant was quite empty, as we were there during norooz, where hardly anyone stays in Tehran. We onlt had tea and a sweet, and we were really happy with it.

fountain at the entrance

• farhad1967's Profile Photo

Yas Restaurant: Delicate art of persian cooking

by farhad1967 Updated Sep 1, 2007

What makes Yas Restaurant special is: it's neat and clean, tastefully decorated, warm and friendly staff, Good sound of Jazz played at background, and the actual food is amazing,
    Although they can provide 300 sits, place is still warm and intimate.
    Rice tasted and looked wonderful, and you should know no other nation can cook rice as Iranian do. Grilled kebabs were wonderfully juicy but thoroughly cooked. I had Chelo(means rice in persian) Kebab Sultani which comes with tender fillet of Lamb accompanied with skewer of minced lamb on the bed of saffron rice, grilled tomatoes crowned with small chunk of butter.
    I spoke to the owner of the Yas restaurant Mr. A.Nasserian who was very kind and friendly and I was told that they were in chelo kebab business for almost 150 years and he was the 5th generation, and that makes them the oldest Chelo Kebab restaurant in Tehran.
    If you traveling to Tehran, Don't forget to check them out!

Favorite Dish: Grilled kebabs were wonderfully juicy but thoroughly cooked. I had Chelo(means rice in Persian) Kebab Sultani which comes with tender fillet of Lamb accompanied with skewer of minced lamb on the bed of safrron rice and grilled tomatoes crowned with small chunk of butter.
    as I was going through their menu I noticed that they had few steaks and Caspian sea white fish which I tried next day of my visit to Yas Restaurant and it was wonderfully tasty served with dill weed & broad bean rice Like I never had before.

• Women's Travel
    • Work Abroad
    • Luxury Travel

• Dont Know but it says - welcome to you shop!: Kebab and Drinks

by en_one Updated Dec 5, 2006

This is just small outlet located along small lane. The food is good and fresh. highly patronised by local. The shop has created an attic to accomodate additional area otherwise the crowd would end up standing. Our meal (6 kebabs and carbonated drinks) for three people cost 60,000 riyals. Filling and satisfied.

The bread is unlimited The shopowner and the patrons

• Early morning breakfast

by en_one Written Dec 5, 2006

Something to get your tummy filled in the early morning. The only shop open as early as 6.00am. We arrived at 6.45am. specialised in sheep head soup, leg and neck. That is the only thing they serve in the morning. Served in small portion with bread and lemon. Cost me 44,000 riyal with tea (for two person). Quite pricey for this type of food. Enough to get us from getting hungry till 2.00pm. Maybe the fat!

• vahiddavoodi's Profile Photo

All of iranian restaurants...: Did you tasted the tradition iranian dishes ...

by vahiddavoodi Written Sep 1, 2003

In every restaurants in iran you could find the traditional iranian deshes like " kabob" ,"baghali-polo","sabzi-polo-ba-mahi",..etc.
    there are iranian dishes that if you test them one time,i assure you that you'll enjoy and never forget their taste.

• Zeyni's Profile Photo

Boof Restaurant: Fast Food chain

by Zeyni Updated Apr 4, 2011

Boof is a chain restaurant in iran with many branches in different cities..it's not the best but the food is OK! you can have complete information about the restaurant at it's site. http://boof.cc

Favorite Dish: chicken and meat steak is good. The pizza is not bad. The food overall is fine.

Instant Answers: Tehran

Comments

Tehran Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tehran restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tehran sightseeing.