Tehran Transportation

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the metro

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 4, 2011

mash 71 & surio71, outside imam khomaini station

Getting around some parts of Tehran is fast and convenient, if it is an area served by the metro. There are only two lines so far (2008) and I have heard that more lines will be added in the future... works for some are already being on their way. Thumbs up.

I found the metro efficient, clean, safe and - the first day I took it, free as well. It was the first day of Norooz, the Iranian New Year, and at the ticket office we were told that no one had to pay. Somehow this metro rminded me of the metro in Moscow: every station I travelled to had its beautiful art piece for people to admire. Beautiful art, actually. Thumbs up a second time.

• Behi's Profile Photo

Train, Mashhad - Tehran

by Behi Updated Apr 4, 2011

Train leaves Tehran to Mashhad 12 times in a day & vise versa.
    ~6:45 am to ~22:50 (it's not constant for every day)
    Best one is Ghazal trains costs 215,000 IR, 12hours.
    & Sabz Trains costs 199,500 IR, 12hours.

Pardis Trains leves every morning 6:45, costs 197,000 IR, 7:30hours.

in the year 2007/86

Mashhad Railway Station located at head of Azadi st. north of Imam Reza Shrine

Main stops are Neyshapor, Shahrod & Semnan

• Religious Travel
    • Trains

• DAO's Profile Photo

THE METRO

by DAO Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Metro is a very modern network connecting the whole of Tehran along 3 lines. Tickets are easy to buy at the ticket window and you’re off. You can buy tickets for single round trips, 10 journeys and 1,3 and 7 days. Trains start running at 5:30 am and close at 11pm. The trains run every 2 to 10 minutes depending on peak periods. The stations and platforms are clean and modern. The first trains only started running in 1999. Its nice and cool down here so you can escape the heat, move around quickly and the prices are very cheap. Enjoy.

The signs for the Metro are bright yellow (pictured) and look like a picture of a car window.

• DAO's Profile Photo

METRO FOR WOMEN

by DAO Updated Apr 4, 2011

WOMENS CARS

Ladies please make sure you read this. The Metro is segregated. You must ride in the train cars marked for women. Small children can go with you, but young boys ride in the Men’s cars. These cars get very packed, but do not attempt to ride in the Men’s cars. That’s is a big no-no. If you haven’t guessed yet, the Women’s cars are the ones at the very back. I don’t make the rules, just report on them.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Flying Heathrow to Imam Khomeini Tehran

by suvanki Updated Oct 29, 2009

Heading to Tehran airport

My flight was booked through Persian Voyages, who were my travel company. I had to pay for the flight separately (£420), which was then deducted from the cost of my tour.
    Flights are Tuesday/ Thurs/Sat and Sundays from Heathrow T3

I flew with Iranair - I understand British Airways also fly this route. I've since found that there are now direct flights from Manchester (Which will be more convenient for me, when I decide to go to Iran in the future)

Waiting to board my flight at 17.15, I was aware that I was possibly the only English passenger. I wasn't sure whether I should be wearing my hejab. I'd bought a black cotton scarf in my hand luggage. ( I'd understood that I only needed to put it on before leaving the plane), but as every female had their hair covered, I followed suit.
    Looking back now, I'm laughing at how afraid I was not to show any hair. (It wasn't too long into my trip that I learnt that black scarves are considered a bit of a 'No - No' too - a bit too fundamental!).

The flight was quite interesting, though I did feel quite conspicuous, I'm not used to being stared at by so many people, something that I got used to by the end of my trip.
    I tried communicating with my neighbour, but her English was as good as my Farsi!

Entertainment was an Iranian film - a Kramer v Kramer type story.
    My meal was quite tasty - Kebab and Rice - Great I thought, - one of Iran's typical meals! - Little did I realise how quickly I would get bored with this dish, particularly when eating it some days for my lunch AND Evening meal!

Getting ready to land, I felt a bit apprehensive - please don't let my scarf fall off!, mentally checking that I hadn't got anything unsuitable in my luggage - I hadn't even dared bring a magazine with me, as I couldn't find any with a 'suitable' cover' etc etc.

At passport control, there were separate lines for men and women, and nationals and foreigners. Unsurprisingly, I joined the shortest queue, and didn't have to wait too long, before it was my turn.
    My passport/Visa was checked briefly, and returned with a smile and a 'Thank You'! I didn't have to wait long for my luggage, I was surprised at how easy this had been, and how 'non - threatening' .
    I was straight out into the Arrivals Hall, (which was crowded), and luckily spotted my guide holding up a card with my name.

We had a bit of a wait, as we had to queue for the lift to the car park, but eventually we found our driver, and we were speeding off towards Tehran. I was enjoying the sights, and that I had arrived in another new place in the early hours. (I love arriving in new places, when it's still dark)

My return journey was an early morning flight, Majid had collected me from my hotel around 0500, and had thoughtfully brought a flask of tea for me! He also did a detour to the Azadi Tower, Tehrans landmark monument, as I hadn't had chance to see it during my trip.

This time, I was seated next to a young woman (who spoke English) and her 18 month old son (who was adorable - and I don't usually like to be sat near babies! (pic 3 )

I had been feeling quite sorry for myself, having a long coach journey from Heathrow to Sheffield after this flight. She was having to connect with a flight to Canada, then had a car journey!!!!!I didn't envy her, especially having luggage and a pushchair.

Address -No.221,Second Floor, Public Relations, Support Services BLd., IranAir H.Q. ,Mehrabad Airport, Tehran, Iran

• Business Travel

• anitayusof's Profile Photo

Trans Asia Express to Istanbul

by anitayusof Written Feb 19, 2009

The Iranian Train

I took this train to Istanbul. It cost me IR689 000 (Nov 2008). It was a nightmare to buy the tickets. Only selected travel agents (how would I know which one ???) sell the tickets. I went to 3 travel agencies in Tehran but all three didn't sell the tickets. I went to Tehran Rah Ahan (R'way station), but they only sell the ticket on the departure date (how if the ticket sold out ???). Finally, after searching at another 3 travel agencies in Esfahan, and almost give up, I found an agency who sell the tickets. And yet (what a bad luck !!!), the server was down, and after waiting for 2 hours at the agency and still no tickets, they told us that they will send the tickets to our hotel (extra payment for the svc of course). Luckily, we got it when we reached our hotel. The journey took 69 hours (10 hours late) but the Iranian train was more comfortable compared to the Turkish train, and also a lot faster. Even though I had to go through lots of hassles to get the tickets, and even though it was a long slow journey, I didn't regret it at all. The view from Mus to Elazig and Malatya (Turkey) was unforgetable.

• Trains

Train from Qazvin to Tehren

by Sambawalk Updated Aug 10, 2008
    Qazvin train station

I took a morning train at 9am from Qazvin to Tehreh. The trip was 2 hours, whilst bus may take up to 3 hours. It was 2nd class and costs IR6,000 (May 08). The train is double deck and it is like the communter trains in other countires. It is comfortable with air-con.

Taxi fare from Hotel Iran to Qazvin to train station (2KM) costs IR10,000 (May 2008), although it could be cheaper.

Upon arrival in Tehren train station, a taxi to Fedosi St, Bank melli area costs IR25,000-30,000 (May 2008).

Air Iran from Tehren to Kerman

by Sambawalk Updated Jul 9, 2008
    Air plane from Tehren to Kerman

1st day arrival early morning at Tehren, I went to Air2000 travel agent at 9am. Thinking to fly to Ahvas, but seats full for next 2 days. Then I had to reorganise my travel itinerary for the next 14 days by starting out at Kerman, and that's is, there was a seat to Kerman from Tehren at 3:30pm. So I took it and just spent few hours in Tehren before heading to domestic airport.

Air ticket is IR457,000 (May 2008). Taxi costs IR40,000 (May 2008) from Ferdesi square to domestic airport.

See more pics for the snack you can expect from Iran Air.

Train- From Tehren to Zanjan

by Sambawalk Updated Jun 13, 2008

I took the first class train from Tehren to Zanjan. It tooks about 3:40 hours. The depature for the train I took was 6:10am. It is nice and very comfortable. It even serves free breakfast, see more pics. But the cost is IR37,000 (May 2008), compared to usual IR11,000 in 2nd class.

Train - From Esfahan to Tehren

by Sambawalk Written May 23, 2008

I took overnight sleeper in 6 pax compartment from Esfanhan to Tehren, the other direction is available. It cost IR55,000. The train departed from 21:40pm and arrived at Tehren 5:00am. It is smoke free so it is quite comfortable.

There are 3 level in each side. I shared with 5 other men and they let me chose for which level. I chose the top level. The train serviceman provided clean bedsheet and blanket sheet and blanket is available in inidivudal carrying bag.

I observed that the Iranian people, even men, are well disciplined and tidy. They put up their bedsheet nicely and unpacked the blanket. At about 4:00am, when the train made announcement, they all woke up and folded the blanket nicely back to the inidividual carrying bag. Then folded 2 bedsheets nicely and put back to the plastic bag provided and returned back to the train servicemen. How could I not follow??

Taxi- Tehren city to IKA airport

by Sambawalk Written May 23, 2008

If you choose to ask for your hotel to arrange a taxi to IKA, the price will be IR150,000 to IR200,000, depending how much the hotel eats in the commission. If you call airport taxi (see business card attached), it will be IR150,000, same as what one will pay from IKA to city. But this is a difference. Hotel arranged taxi is the "white" color one, meaning, old, ncomfortable, and can't go fast on highway. The airport taxi is the "yellow" one which is newer and faster and comfortable. The choice is yours.

Taxi- IKA to Tehren City centre

by Sambawalk Written May 23, 2008

The IKIA (Imam Khomeini International Airport) is located around 35km from the city center. The taxi outside the arrival hall operates as cartel such that the taxi fare is standard among any taxi you try to approach. It costs IR150,000 (May 08). If you approach taxi outside the queue, other taxi drviers will shout and at the end, you still go back to the taxi you are directed.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

tehran two airports

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 6, 2008

still over italy - but tehran-bound

We flew to Tehran by Alitalia (a totally irrelevant fact) early in the morning, and the same day in the early evening we had an Iran Air flight to Yazd. International flights land at Imam Khomeini Airport, about 45-90 minutes from the city centre (intending for it the Golestan Palace) depending on the traffic.

Domestic flights leave from Merhabad Airport, which by taxi is about 20-40 minutes from the Golestan Palace. Note that the two airports are no-way near each other, nor are they linked - making it impossible to catch any connecting flight, unless it is roughly 5-6 hours later from the moment you land. All in all, it's best to spend one day in Tehran before taking off to your next destination.

• sarahshm's Profile Photo

Taxi 2

by sarahshm Written Feb 14, 2008

2. beside those taxis, some of the normal people work as taxi driver too.their cars aren't any special color...like all of the cars in the street...actually the main job of the drivers isn't "taxi driver"...they have another job but sometimes they carry passegers too...they're a bit cheaper than real taxi but not as safe as they are.
    The government is trying to manage these taxis in order to make them safe...

• Theme Park Trips
    • Museum Visits

• sarahshm's Profile Photo

Taxi

by sarahshm Written Feb 14, 2008

Taxi meter

The best and the safest way of transportation! but ofcourse you have to pay more for that.
    The hotel can take u one easily.
    There are 2 kinds of taxi in Tehran :
    1. Real taxi : it's totally clear that they are taxi, they have special colors (as u see in the pictures) yellow or green, with orange band on them. You can see them in the streets.
    and u can call some of them , everywhere u are, and they'll pick u up.
    And there are some taxi s that are only for women, the drivers are women too.(they are all green and u can see that the driver is a woman) if u wanted to call them to pick u up where ever u are, use this telephone number : 021-1821

• Women's Travel
    • Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Tehran

Comments

Tehran Transportation

Reviews and photos of Tehran transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tehran sightseeing.