During the British Mandate period Haifa and its port developed. Sir Frederick Palmer was the British port engineer who chose Haifa as the location for a deepwater port, and the main gate of the port was named after him.
As the commemorative sign puts it, during the British Mandate period the Haifa port was the strategic gateway not only to Israel / Palestine, but also to Transjordan and Iraq.
During the first few years of mass immigration to Israel, after the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, most immigrants arrived by ship via Haifa, and passed through the Palmer Gate.
The gate was closed to traffic and pedestrians in the 1950s. Today you can see the wide road shaded by palm trees leading to the gate, with international-style buildings from the 1930s on both sides of the street. At the gate there is a small traffic circle with a happy-looking modern sculpture of a ship and a fish in its center (see photo).
1. Winter view to the north, towards the bay, Akko and western Galilee.
2. Haifa as seen from a boat in the port.
One of the most important ones in Israel. As we did not visited (only went for the gardens as we did not had enough time at all :-) )
So here can see it from the Bahai Gardens