The Technion College, Haifa

• gilabrand's Profile Photo

Haifa’s M.I.T.

by gilabrand Written Aug 29, 2006

Technion - Civil Engineering Building

I have a confession to make. I grew up in a very non-scientific home. My father was a rabbi and a historian. My mother was a teacher of Hebrew and Bible. I was terrible in math and science from the time I can remember myself, and my parents, no math geniuses or scientists themselves, had great empathy for me (at least in this respect).

I didn’t even know what an engineer was. For me, an engineer was someone who drove a train. And then, ladies and gentlemen, I married one. A graduate of the Technion, no less, Israel’s leading school for science and technology, sometimes compared to M.I.T. (although I’m not qualified to say if that comparison is valid or not).

The Technion opened its doors in 1924 with 16 students. After moving to its present campus on Mt. Carmel in 1953, the old historic building was turned into a science museum. Today the Technion has something like 85 buildings and 12,800 students. One of them, incidentally, is my son, who hopes to complete his studies in civil engineering this year.

In the spirit of science and technology, here are some facts and figures: According to the Technion website, 135 out of every 10,000 workers in Israel are scientists and engineers (second only to the U.S.). Nine out of every 1,000 workers are engaged in R&D (twice as many as in the U.S. and Japan). And last but not least, 74% of the managers of Israeli electronic industries hold Technion degrees.

Now the Technion has something else to boast about: a pair of home grown Nobel Prize winners. Professors Avram Hershko and Aaron Ciechanover of the Technion Faculty of Medicine received the 2004 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for discovering the crucial role of ubiquitin in the process of protein breakdown in cells.

• Study Abroad
    • Architecture

• fabrice's Profile Photo

visit the tekhnion:it is a...

by fabrice Updated Aug 24, 2002

visit the tekhnion:it is a technical university on the highest part of the city.in this residential area,you will find a zoo,gardens, a commercial center,a mall

Instant Answers: Haifa

Comments

Hotels Near The Technion College
4.0 out of 5 stars