Via Train, Haifa

Know about this? Rate It!

• I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I...
    by gilabrand
    At the train station in Haifa
    by MalenaN
    by ophiro
  • gilabrand's Profile Photo

Haifa's Little Engine That Could

by gilabrand Updated Aug 28, 2008

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can

Haifa's "Carmelit" is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's shortest subway. It runs on a 1.75 kilometer track and has a total of 6 stops. Actually it is a kind of underground cable car that operates on a slant. It goes up and down the mountain, from the top of the Carmel (Gan Ha'em station, adjacent to the zoo) to Paris Square (sea level). The difference in altitude is 274 meters. The Carmelit runs about every 10 minutes, and the whole ride takes 6-7 minutes.

The Carmelit opened in 1959, closed in the 1980s for upgrading, and reopened in 1992. It is Israel's one and only subway.

Stenciled on the back wall of each car (there are two cars) is a verse from Leviticus: "You shall rise before the aged and show deference to the old" (19:32). You may see this on buses around Israel, too. On a crowded bus or train, it is customary in Israel to offer your seat to old people and pregnant women, especially if you are sitting at the front. If you don't, you may get some nasty looks from fellow passengers - or a piece of their mind (Israelis are not known for keeping their thoughts to themselves).

Operating hours:
    Sunday - Thursday 6 am - 10 pm
    Friday & holiday eves - 6 am - 3 pm
    Saturday - from one hour after the Sabbath

Tickets are sold at vending machines with Hebrew and English instructions. They cost NIS 5.50 per ride.

(Actually, the Istanbul "Tunel" is shorter - only 2 stations and a track of 573 meters - but for some reason, the Carmelit is the official recordholder).

• Trains

• Sharon's Profile Photo

Via Train

by Sharon Updated Jun 5, 2003

One of the easiest ways to ariive to Haifa is via Train from Tel Aviv or from other places.
    Its not expensive and very comfortable.
    Time from TA to Haifa is about 1 hour.
    For more Information:

Israel Trains Company Information - (03) 5774000

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Daytrip to Rosh HaNikra and Akko

by MalenaN Updated Apr 4, 2011

At the train station in Haifa

I visited Rosh HaNikra and Akko on a daytrip from Haifa. In the morning I took the train from Haifa to Nahariya. It was 16 shekels and took 45 minutes. In Nahariya I went to the bus station, which is just next to the train station, and sat down to wait for the right bus. I had read there were not many buses a day to Rosh HaNikra, but I only had to wait for about half an hour. The bus to Rosh HaNikra takes about 15 minutes and cost 6,5 shekels (July 2005) and on arrival it stops just by the car park.

When I was going to leave Rosh HaNIkraI couldn’t get any information about when a bus was leaving. After waiting for a while I asked a few car drivers for lift, but their cars were either full or were just going to a place near by. Finally a bus to Nahariya came. In Nahariya I changed buses and I didn’t have to wait many minutes. The bus from Nahariya to Akko was 7,6 shekels. It stopped in the new part of Akko, and from there it is about 15 minutes walk to old Akko. In the evening I took the train back to Haifa. It took 30 minutes and was 12,5 shekels.

• Trains

• ophiro's Profile Photo

by ophiro Written May 31, 2005

Train from Tel Aviv to haifa

If you want to use a train and to get to Haifa from Tel aviv it will take you an hour (more or less) and it should cost you something like 50 nis for both directions.

Instant Answers: Haifa

Comments

Other Transportation in Haifa