Capernaum is located at the north corner of the Sea of Galilee, on the side of the ancient road from Tiberias to the east of the sea of Galilee: Golan, Gamla and Jordan. It is a 3 minute drive east from the Primacy of Peter Church in Tabgha and a 16 minute drive north east of Tiberias. The village prospered in the Roman and Byzantine periods, and its citizens were mainly fishermen (as most of Jesus apostles), farmers, and people that provided services to the Roman road and caravans, including tax collection (as was Matthew). Capernaum was partially destroyed in the Persian conquest in the 6th C AD. The synagogue and church were destroyed in the Arab period (7th- 12 C AD), but the village continued to function at that time. It then was totally ruined. The area was purchased by the Franciscans in 1894, where 2/3 of the entire area of ruins were purchased (the other third was purchased by the Greek Orthodox). The excavation were conducted in several seasons (1905-1915, 1968-1984).
The Ruins are open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm everyday and the entrance fee for Tourists and Pilgrims is NIS 3
According to the tradition, the Mount of Beatitudes is the place where Jesus gave his important sermon on the mountain (Mt 5, Lk 6:20) to the multitude that assembled to see and hear him. No one actually knows that actual site where Jesus Had his famous Sermon on the Mount but historians say that the location is just between Capernaum and Ginnosaur, among the hilly areas in Northern Sea of Galilee. In the 1930's with the help of the then period acoustic devices, the Roman Catholic Church Determined that the hill area with the most acoustic signal (that can send a voice in the mountains farthest) that goes down the Sea of Galilee is located just at the hilly area above the ruins of Capernaum and in the 1934, the franciscan religious order built a church on this hilly area and named in Mount of Beatitudes, and they built a monastery and a Beatiful Church which was designed by the famous Franciscan Priest and Architect, Antonio Barluzzi.
The mountain is located above Tabgha, about 175 meters higher than the sea of Galilee, yet 35 meters under the Mediterranean sea level. It is approached by a road that climbs up from Tabgha junction, via Vered-Hagalil, towards Rosh-Pina and Upper Galilee.
Tabgha in Northern Sea of Galilee is an arabic mispronounciation of the greek heptetagon (seven springs) which are located in this locality. Tabgha is the biblical site of the Miracle of Multpilication of fish and loaves of Jesus which is located near this church and the miracle of the primacy of peter, located about 500 meters away from the multiplication church at the shores of the Sea of Galilee. This Roman Catholic Church sits atop the ruins of a Byzantine and Crusader Church and is under the custody of the Benedictine Monks.The actual name of the church is the CHURCH OF THE HEPTETAGON. inside are various mosaics depicting the miracle of the multiplications and glass panels showing the remains of the previous Byzantine and Crusader Churches and another of the Mensa Christi Stone Tables.
The miraculous feeding of five thousand people is described in Mark 6:30-44, just before Jesus walks on water. The Gospel account of the loaves and fishes does not specify where it took place; only that it was in a "remote place" (6:32,35) on the shores of Galilee.
According to Mark's account, Jesus and his disciples had gone out in a boat to this remote place for some peace and quiet, but the crowds ran ahead "from all the towns" and met him when he landed. By then it was dinnertime and they were not in a village where food could easily be bought, so Jesus fed them all by miraculously multiplying his disciples' five loaves and two fishes.
the church is open:
Mondays to Friday: 8:00 am to 4:45 pm
Saturdays: 8:00 am to 2:45 pm
The Church was believed to be the site where the recently resurrected Jesus reinstated the Primacy of Peter to be the First among the Apostles after a fish breakfast on the shore and where the stone slab where Jesus laid that breakfast for the Apostles (called the Mensa Christi, they also have a slab at the nearby Chuch of the Multiplication at the Mensa Christi Church in Nazareth). This church was rebuilt from a previous 4rth century Byzantine Church. This church is located just 500 meters away from the Church of the Multiplication in the shores of the Sea of Galilee in Tabgha.
The Church is under the Custody of the Franciscan Order and is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm everyday and closed on Sundays.
according to Wikipedia:
The modern structure was built in 1933 and incorporates parts of an earlier 4th century church. At the base of its walls, opposite the main altar, foundations of the 4th century church are visible. In the 9th century, the church was referred to as the Place of the Coals. This name refers to the incident of Jesus' preparation of meal for the apostles, building a charcoal fire on which to cook the fish. Also first mentioned in the year 808 are the "Twelve Thrones", a series of heart shaped stones, which were placed along the shore to commemorate the Twelve Apostles. The church survived longer than any other in the area, finally being destroyed in 1263. The present Franciscan chapel was built on the site in 1933. This church was included in the itinerary of Pope Paul VI during his 1964 visit to Israel according to Fodors' Tour Guide for Israel.
Tiberias was a roman city founded in 20 AD (and Named after Roman Emperor Tiberius) by the Roman Client King, Herod Antipas as his capital of the roman Province of Galilee and Perea and the city has lots of history of changing hands due to occupation, revolts and rebelions and initially, the Jews would frown living here as there was a cemetery, which was considered unclean by the priestly class, it was ritually cleansed in 145 AD by a Rabbi, Shimon bar Yochai and evenutally, the Jews settled here and it became one of their 4 holiest cities (along with Hebron, Jerusalem and Safed). Although there is no evidence that Jesus Preached or passed by the City of Tiberias, the city is the main base for a Sea of Galilee Cruise via the Jesus Boats by Christian Pilgrims and Tourists and it hosts lots of accomodations as it is a Lake Town and Many Jews to stay here during the weekends as it is a resort town too and for the orthodox jews, a place for pilgrimage.
Tiberias also has lots of hotels that caters to Local jews and Christian Pilgrims (who do a Multi Day Northern Israel Christian pilgrimage with either Tiberias or Nazareth as their base). Tiberias is a lively city specially in the weekends for Israelis from around the country who stay here during the weekends as the Sea of Galilee is the only freshwater lake of Israel.
The Jordan River is sacred to Christians from all over the World as this was the Site of the Baptism of Jesus Christ by John the Baptist in AD 30. the Jordan River is mentioned about 175 times in the Old Testament and about 15 times in the New Testament. The word Jordan comes from the Hebrew word 'yardane' meaning descender which is appropriate for the river that courses from the heights of Mt Hermon to the depths of the Dead Sea,running along an almost straight line and is the border of Jordan and Israel in many areas and is about 230 kilometers in length from the sea of galilee to the dead sea. Here in Yardenit, they have steel barriers and ampitheater like structures built at the banks of the Jordan river for Christian Pilgrims who will want to experience a rebaptism at the Jordan River as a homage to Jesus Christ.
The Yardenit Baptism Site, situated in Kibbutz Yardenit, at the Jordan River, is the only Approved Israeli Jordan River Baptism Site for christians in Israel. Jordan have a separate Jordan River Baptism site in Jordan at Bethany, just above the Dead Sea, about 105 kilometers south of Yardenit. Yardenit site is located at the southern exit of the Sea of Galilee, just behind the gate of the Dam that is used on rainy winters to lower the level of the lake. The baptism site has a large parking lot, convenient dressing rooms, stairway to walk down into the waters, a restaurant and a huge souvenir shop. Yardenit is a 45 kilometer drive north east of Nazareth (about an hour drive).
the site is open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm everyday and is managed by the Kibbutz Kinneret.
according to wikipedia:
According to Christian tradition, the baptism of Jesus (Matthew, 3: 13-17) actually took place in Qasr el Yahud, north of the Dead Sea and east of Jericho. For centuries, Qasr al Yahud was the most important baptism site for pilgrims, and monasteries and guest houses were established near it. After the Six-Day War Qasr el Yahud became a frontier area, located on the border between the state of Israel and Jordan. As a result, the Israeli Ministry of Tourism decided to establish this site in 1981 as a replacement site. As a result, "Yardenit" became the only regulated baptism site on the Israeli side of the river, until the reopening of Qasr el Yahud site in 2011.
The site currently averages 400,000 visitors each year representing all faiths[3
They have several pools with steel railings at the Jordan River for Baptism by Christians of All Denominations.
If you are on a Christian Pilgrimage to the Sea of Galilee Region, where Jesus began and Ministry and stayed with his 12 Apostles for 3 years, then you will be served the Iconic Fish that was the fish that was multiplied with loaves of Bread during the Miracle of the Fish and Loaves and also Tilapia were one of the three main types of fish caught in Biblical times from the Sea of Galilee. At that time were called musht, or commonly now even "St. Peter's fish". The name "St. Peter's fish" comes from the story in the Gospel of Matthew about the apostle Peter catching a fish that carried a coin in its mouth, you will see mosiacs of it at Tabgha Church in northern Sea of Galilee Area. St. Peter Fish is served at various Restaurants lining the Sea of Galilee.
If you are going to Capernaum and Tabgha and the Mount of Beatitudes, the drive is nearer coming from Kinneret to those destinations via driving along the east side of the Sea of Galilee where you will pass by the historic and controversial Golan Heights, which commands a panoramic view of the Sea of Galilee and which was actually a part of Syria but was captured and was annexed by Israel (but is not recognized by the United Nations or by any country of the world as part of Israel). The Golan Heights has a bloody history for the Israelis and the Syrians starting from the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, to the 1967 Six Day War, The Yom Kippur War (1973) and up to the Present.
According to Wikipedia:
Borders, armistice line and ceasefire line
View of Mount Hermon from the road to Masaade.
One of the aspects of the dispute involves the existence prior to 1967 of three different lines separating Syria from Israel (or, prior to 1948, from the British Mandate for Palestine).
The 1923 boundary between Mandate Palestine and the French Mandate of Syria was drawn with water in mind. Accordingly, it was demarcated so that all of the Sea of Galilee, including a 10-meter wide strip of beach along its northeastern shore, would stay inside Palestine. From the Sea of Galilee north to Lake Hula the boundary was drawn between 50 and 400 meters east of the upper Jordan River, keeping that stream entirely within the British Mandate. The British also received a sliver of land along the Yarmouk River, out to the present-day Hamat Gader.
During the Arab-Israeli War, Syria captured various areas of the former Palestine mandate, including the 10-meter strip of beach, the east bank of the upper Jordan, as well as areas along the Yarmouk.
While negotiating the 1949 Armistice Agreements, Israel called for the removal of all Syrian forces from the former Palestine territory. Syria refused, insisting on an armistice line based not on the 1923 international border but on the military status quo. The result was a compromise. Under the terms of an armistice signed on July 20, 1949, Syrian forces were to withdraw east of the old Palestine-Syria boundary. Israeli forces were to refrain from entering the evacuated areas, which would become a demilitarised zone, "from which the armed forces of both Parties shall be totally excluded, and in which no activities by military or paramilitary forces shall be permitted." Accordingly, major parts of the armistice lines departed from the 1923 boundary and protruded into Israel. There were three distinct, non-contiguous enclaves—in the extreme northeast to the west of Banias, on the west bank of the Jordan River near Lake Hula, and the eastern-southeastern shores of the Sea of Galilee extending out to Hamat Gader, consisting of 66.5 square kilometers of land lying between the 1949 armistice line and the 1923 boundary, forming the demilitarised zone.
Following the armistice, both Israel and Syria sought to take advantage of the territorial ambiguities left in place by the 1949 agreement. This resulted in an evolving tactical situation, one "snapshot" of which was the disposition of forces immediately prior to the Six-Day War, the “line of June 4, 1967”.
The Bet Gabriel on the Kinneret is a social and Cultural Center located at the South Eastern Side of the Sea of Galilee, close to the original armistice line between Israel and Syria in 1948. This Cultural Center was host to the historic 1994 Israel-Jordan Peace Treaty between then King Hussein of Jordan and Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin of Israel. This complex houses an Auditorium, Landscape Gardens, Various Art Sculptures, Conference Rooms, the famous "Peace Room" and a Bar and the Bet Gabriel Retaurant, where we ate lunch.
Opens: 8:00 am to 9:00 pm everyday except Sundays
according to their website:
Bet Gabriel on the Kinneret ", located on the shores of the Sea of Galilee, was established in 1993 by the Gabriel Sherover Foundation, headed by the late Mrs. Gitta Sherover, together with Ze'ev (Velvele) Shor , the former Head of the Jordan Valley Regional Council, in memory of her beloved son - Gabriel. In November 1994 a historical occasion took place in Bet Gabriel when the peace treaty between Jordan and Israel was reconfirmed by the late King Hussein of Jordan and Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin.
Kinneret is named after the the Judeo Aramaic Word for the Sea of Galilee, which is the only freshwater lake in Israel and is the center of Jesus Ministry for 3 years before he embarked to Jerusalem and hence is a major part of the Christian Pilgrimage as many of the biblical sites related to Jesus and the 12 Apostles are related to this region like the Mount of Beatitudes, Tabgha, The Multiplications of fish and loaves of Bread, the Mount of Beatitudes, Capernaum and more. The Sea of Galilee is fed by the Jordan River, rainfall and springs on the northern side. More properly designated a lake, the Kinneret (the Old Testament and modern name) is 21 kilometers (13 miles) long and ) and 11 kilometers (7 miles) wide. At its deepest point the lake is only 43 meters (150 feet) deep. There are some restaurants in Kinneret that serves the Iconic St. Peter's Fish (Tilapia), from this lake, this is the fish in the Miracle of Fish and loaves, to Tourists and Christian Pilgrims.
The warm waters of the Sea of Galilee allow a variety of flora and fauna to thrive, which have supported a significant commercial fishery for over two millennia.
Local flora includes a variety of reeds along most of the shoreline as well as Phytoplankton. Fauna includes Zooplankton and Benthos, as well as a fish population which notably includes Tilapia (locally known as St. Peter’s Fish.
he Sea of Galilee, also Kinneret, Lake of Gennesaret, or Lake Tiberias, is the largest freshwater lake in Israel, and it is approximately 53 km.
is situated in northern Israel, near the Golan Heights, in the Jordan Great Rift Valley.
Today, tourism is the Kinneret's most important economic activity with the entire region being a popular holiday destination.
The many historical and spiritual sites around the lake, especially its main town Tiberias, are visited by millions of local and foreign tourists annually.
Other economic activities include fishing in the lake and agriculture, particularly bananas, in the fertile belt of land surrounding it.
A key attraction is the site where the Kinneret's water flows into the Jordan River to which thousands of pilgrims from all over the world come to be baptized every year.
Tourist also partake in the building of rafts on Lavnun Beach called Rafsodia.
Here many different age groups work together to build a raft with their bare hands and then sail that raft across the Kinneret
Mount Arbel is a mountain very close to Tiberias with a great view.
You can hike in the trails in the mountain.
The mountain is 181 meters above sea level and 380 meters above the area.
There is a parking lot in the entrance , you pay 20 nis.
There are 2 trails - black and red , the black is a smaller one.
Church of the Seven Apostles is a beautiful church located on the shores of the kinneret.
The church is a greek orthodox located on Kfar Nachum (capernaum).
The curch was built in 1931 and has red domes.
The church , as you can see from the name , is dedicated to the seven apostles.
The inside is very beautiful and decorated , and also a small church , it is a very impressive.