Jerusalem Restaurants

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Hashipudiya: A Foodie Experience to Savour

by Ekaterinburg Updated Apr 4, 2011

This one's for me ?

Hashipudiya is a Middle Eastern, kosher restaurant in downtown West Jerusalem. It's the sort of restaurant where you don't order. You just sit and are served whatever's on the menu for that evening. Huge stone-baked pittas, hot from the oven were thrown down on the table and dish after dish of hummous and every type of salad and dips. These were absolutely delicious and could have constituted a meal in themselves but after about 30 minutes long skewers of sizzling roast chicken made their appearance. These were followed by lamb patties, small potato chips and a few platters of another chicken dish. All the food was cooked right next to us and served immediately and for freshness and tastiness was simply outstanding. Afterwards we had fragrant mint tea and droolingly-good little filo pastry parcels.
    All this along with soft drinks and water, came to EURO 18 per person. An absolute bargain and a dining experience that I relished every minute of .

Favorite Dish: The chicken on skewers was tender and tasty and the portions served were unbelievably generous.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Moshiko: Shwarma or Falafael

by Ekaterinburg Updated Apr 4, 2011

Shwarma in a bag from Moshiko's

In Jerusalem there's really only one thing to eat when you're on the go and that's shwarma or falafael. Okay you can get burgers or other snacks but this is what you will find in 95% of the street stalls selling food. The reason ? Because it's delicious and traditional and Jerusalem does it really well. On Friday lunchtime we got a chance to try this local delicacy on Ben Yehuda Street, where some of the best falafael and shwarma in the city are served. We ate at Moshiko's which if popularity is anything to go by, should be getting 5-star ratings from customers. You go inside to where they roast the meat then bring your food back outside and eat on the tables on the street. A great way to observe life in downtown Jerusalem.

Favorite Dish: I had the shwarma here which consists of a large pitta choc full of thin slices of roast meat, chips and whatever salad you choose. The texture was a little strange at first, all the food tossed in together like that, but after a few mouthfuls, quite tasty.It's also the most economical and filling food you can buy on a budget.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

"Bistro": Bisto, has excellent house bread and salad

by Martin_S. Updated Apr 4, 2011

The

Bistro is in Ein Karem, Jerusalem and it hosts a very good house bread, that you can have with salads. We had two portions because the girls were so pleased with the house bread. You also get several types of spreads for the bread.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo

FAZA: Dairy restaurant & Internet cafe: A TV in the WC

by gilabrand Updated Jan 20, 2011

Maybe I don’t get out enough, but a TV in the bathroom? Now that’s something new.

I was having a bite with friends at Faza, on the corner of Rehov Palmach in Jerusalem, which is down the street from the Islamic Museum (in one of those ironic juxtapositions so common in Jerusalem – the Palmach was the strike force of the Jewish militia during the British Mandate). Freshening up in the bathroom (clean, by the way) I noticed a screen above the toilet. It seemed a bit strange. I mean why would the TV be located behind my head? Later it dawned on me: I had gone into the men’s WC. A peek into the ladies room showed a TV on the opposite wall. What the point is, I’m not sure. Maybe it’s a way to liven up the dinner conversation (or provide an escape when it gets too boring).

Faza (Hebrew slang for “style,” according to the young person I asked) has undergone several metamorphoses. I remember it as a bicycle store and a beauty salon. Now it is a dairy restaurant and Internet café. Of course, the décor has changed. Now there are black square tables and cream-colored walls with a few red squiggles for accent. The lighting over the bar is interesting (see photo). Bring your laptop along – the place has WiFi access – or use one of the computers in the corner. For the price of a cup of coffee, you can sit there and surf to your heart’s content.

So what about the food? The quiches (sweet potato and broccoli) were okay, although I wouldn’t have been able to identify the ingredients in a blind tasting. The pasta with mushrooms and cream was kind of ordinary. My friend ordered a green salad with cubes of fried haloumi (a kind of salty cheese), which she enjoyed. The bill for 4, which included a pitcher of lemonade, was quite reasonable. We paid NIS 148, which came out to about $33.

So don’t make a special trip, but if you’re in the neighborhood, it’s not a bad place for a snack (and a pit stop…).

Update - July 2008: Faza is now a sushi bar. I don't know if they redid the bathrooms...
    2011 Update: The restaurant is closed. It seems to be under renovation.

• Museum Visits

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Montefiore Restuarant, Mishkenot Sha'ananim: Italian cuisine in a historic building

by iblatt Written Jan 7, 2011

Montefiore Restaurant,Mishkenot Shaananim,Jerusalm

Mishkenot Shaananim was the first residential building outside the Old City walls, built in 1860 by Sir Moses Montefiore (see my "Things to Do" tip). Its prime location on the slope of the hill overlooking the Old City walls from the west makes it unique and inspiring. It now serves as accomodation for visiting writers, artists and scientists from all over the world.

However, you do not need to be a distinguished writer in order to dine in the excellent restuarant in Mishkenot Shaananim, appropriately named "Montefiore Restaurant". You can enjoy excellent food (Italian cuisine) and a superb view. We had dinner here with a guest from abroad and greatly enjoyed it. The first course included eggplant parmesan, antepasti, cannelloni, artichoke filled with wild mushrooms. For the main course I had sea bream, which was delicious. The desserts were tasty but very standard and uninspiring (caramel cream, fruit salad, cheese cake, apple pie, chocolate mousse).
    The service was professional and efficient.

All in all, food and ambience combined, this was a worth while dining experience.

• Business Travel

• Paradiso:: Became "Our Place" During Business Trip

by hongkong88 Written Oct 24, 2010

A colleague and myself were in Jersusalem for 2 1/2 weeks on Business. This place was near our hotel (Dan Panorama) and we tried it early in our stay and liked it and kept coming back for dinner. It is great to sit on the terrace and watch the world go by. Some of the waitstaff have actual personalities which we found to be rare in Jerusalem. My friend had the salads and various poultry dishes and really liked them.

Favorite Dish: Had the bacon and egg sandwich twice and really loved it. They are very big and one night I had a half of one and that was plenty. Pasta is good not great. Had a chicken sandwich once and really liked the chicken but the meat had some kind of semi-mayo spread on it with a odd spice taste that put me off. The salads are imaginative and also very big.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Agua: Agua for good food and service

by Martin_S. Written Sep 19, 2010
    Agua Restaurant, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem, Israel

Fairly new restaurant in a beautiful suburb of Jerusalem, just outside the city and in the Ein Kerem area which deserves a visit even if you do not eat there.
    The restaurant is in an older structure that was originally a grocery store, but with the typical high vaulted ceilings from that time. The accoustics leave much to be desired, but the decor is nice, subdued and comfortable.
    The service and attitude here was excellent. We had chosen this restaurant because one of the credit cards we use had a "DEAL", a reduction in price for the card holder. We read the ad and decided to give Agua a try. Upon arrival we were seated and we told the waiter that we wanted to order the special deal, we were given menus and told that he would be right back.
    The manager arrived at our table to explain that the credit card company had made a mistake in the ad and Friday nights were NOT INCLUDED in the deal....BUT since we had already arrived he would let us order the deal, NO PROBLEM...he even brought us extra servings of desert when he learned it was our wedding anniversary. ^O^

Favorite Dish: Won't describe each dish, but we were a group of 4 people and each ordered something different. Suffice it to say that each one of us were totally satasfied with the dishes served to us.

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Link: Nice central garden-restaurant for shabbat lunch

by iblatt Written Jul 23, 2010

Lunch in

We met friends for here for lunch on a summer Shabbat (Saturday). It's not easy to find restaurants in central Jerusalem which are open on Shabbat, and Link is one of this rare kind.

The menu offers a large variety to choose from. We ordered their home salad, "Link-salad", and a chicken-guacamole tortilla. The salad was a big success: tomato, cucumber, lettuce, mushrooms, croutons, roasted almonds and cubes of feta cheese in yoghurt, mayonnaise and mint sauce: delicious! The tortilla was also very good.

There is outdoor seating in the garden and indoor seating as well. The service is friendly.

Colony: Restaurant and bar open on Friday night

by iblatt Written Jul 20, 2010

It's not easy to find restaurants in Jerusalem which are open on Friday night and Saturday outside the Nachalat Shiv'a "secular enclave". "Colony" and two other neighboring restaurants are located in an enclosed yard at the entrance of Bak'a, across from the German Colony. It defines itself as a "Salon-food-bar".
    The decor is slick and modern, the atmosphere is very lively, and it is always full on Friday nights: make sure to make a reservation! The menu is varied, including meat, fish, pasta, salads and more.

As for the food: The salmon fillet was tasty; the grilled entrceote was fine; the beef was medium-rare although we asked for medium-well done; the meat lasagna was mediocre.
    The desserts were delicious, especially the pear-gratin.
    The service was friendly and efficient.

Cafe Smadar: Movie-Goers' Hangout in the German Colony

by iblatt Updated Jul 19, 2010

Cafe Smadar, German Colony, Jerusalem

"Lev-Smadar" cinema is a landmark in Jerusalem, tucked in a narrow lane in the German Colony, showing quality movies to a select audience, many of whom are Hebrew-U students and Jerusalem's secular intellectuals and bohemians.

"Cafe Smadar" is located in the one-storey cinema, between the ticket office and the hall entrance. This is the place to sit down, sip coffee (or cider or beer), have a meat or dairy sandwich or a salad, discuss the movie you've just seen (or going to see), have movie stars smile at you from the photographs and posters...

The ambience is special in Jerusalem, and Cafe Smadar is an answer for an "unmet need" for places like this in the Holy City...

• Singles

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Cafe Rimon: great pastries

by marielexoteria Updated Jun 11, 2010

I met with VT UnaS for brunch at one of her favorite spots, Cafe Rimon. She likes this place because of the relaxing atmosphere (read: you can sit and have your coffee or pastry for hours without being rushed out to give the table to another patron) and because the food is good.

We sat on the outdoor tables and enjoyed watching those coming from Ben Yehuda street and Zion Square, while I had a pair of cheese blintzes. A blintz could be defined as a pancake (sweet) filled with some soft, sweet cheese. My pastry came with a small bowl of fruit, whipped cream and syrup. This pastry cost me 45 NIS (plus tip, price of May 2010).

• Joy Restaurant: Joyless

by Louiefood Written Jun 6, 2010

Yesterday the four of us were shown promptly to our dinner table at the Joy Restaurant on Emek Refaim. Within seconds after we were seated, the previous occupant of the table raised his head and slowly crawled up the stone wall. I quickly rose and stepped over to the waiters’ station.
    “There’s a cockroach, a juk, on the wall at our table,” I calmly told the pretty, young waitress. The three of us, myself, the pretty waitress, and a waiter who had overheard my remark, rushed to the table.
    By the time we arrived the juk was staring eye-to-eye with my wife. She wore a concerned expression and, from the agitated motions of its antennae, I imagined that the juk was similarly concerned.
    Upon our arrival the juk seemed to feel it had attracted too much attention, so it jumped from the wall into my wife’s lap and thence to the floor. Once on solid ground it scurried for the front door as if trying to evade paying its bill. The waiter demonstrated some agility in stomping on the juk and providing it with a clean napkin for a coffin. We were left with only a wet spot on the floor as a memoriam.
    As if in reward for our adventure, the waiter placed a serving platter in the center of the table so that the four of us might share the complimentary appetizers. The platter contained three small dishes the size of my wife’s petite palm; one each of some eggplant mixture, a piquante sauce, and eleven olives. These were accompanied by one loaf of crisp bread quite a bit smaller than the steer’s pizzle that it resembled.
    After several minutes we were able to flag a waiter and request water. Four glasses (of two different designs) were provided along with a used wine bottle filled with room temperature tap water. At least the wine bottle gave the impression that we were a group of bon vivants, though that impression may have been somewhat spoiled by the glasses.
    I searched the dinner menu in vain for the beautiful lamb chops pictured in the restaurant’s Internet ad and finally settled for the fillet steak that I ordered grilled very rare. My wife ordered the chicken breast cordon bleu; one our friends ordered the spring chicken and one chose a skewer of beef chunks.
    Here’s the food review. My fillet steak was composed of the kind of one-centimeter thick beef rounds that you buy in frozen packages at the supermarket. One centimeter is obviously too thin to grill rare, so the four small pieces arrived medium to well done. The accompanying steak fried potatoes were good.
    My wife’s chicken cordon bleu was seemingly made from a rooster that had died of old age and or had been cooked to death. Even a steak knife was inadequate to the task of rendering it into edible portions.
    The spring chicken in Szechwan sauce satisfied one of friends, but did not elicit a rave review. Alas, our other friend enjoyed his skewered beef for longer than any of our other meals, since he had to spend an inordinate amount of time chewing.
    I ordered the advertised keg beer with my meal, but I was told that something was wrong with the draft mechanism.
    At the end of our meal, the manager came to our table and inquired about our satisfaction. We gave her a candid appraisal.
    Perhaps in memory of the dead juk, the manager sent complimentary desserts to our table … a single plate of ice cream and a single chocolate cake-based concoction with four spoons and napkins so that we could share them among us.
    Is it any wonder that I have written this generous review and awarded Joy one star for the Szechwan chicken?

Favorite Dish: None

• unaS's Profile Photo

Mona Restaurant & Bar: Old World Atmosphere

by unaS Updated Apr 29, 2010

Artists House entry

An old basement room in the Bezalel Artists House.
    The Mona has carefully kept an old world atmosphere while serving top of the line meals.

Excellent staff, quiet, pleasant and polite.

Low ceilings, small tables, private rooms available on most evenings.

Music on some evenings. Occasional spontaneous live jam sessions.
    Indoor/Outdoor seating in summer.

Do make a reservation in advance for weekend evenings!

Open
    Sunday - Thursday, 1700 - 0200
    Friday and Saturday, 1200 - 0200

Favorite Dish: I had a lovely shrimp gnocchi made with fresh shrimp, fresh made gnocchi and Parmesan cheese in a white wine sauce. Enjoyed a glass of the white [house] wine with my meal. Very satisfied.

• unaS's Profile Photo

Cafe Agrippas: Want to eat where the locals do?

by unaS Written Apr 29, 2010

For a snack or a light lunch on your way to or from the shuk (open market place) try the Cafe Agrippas.

This is a small owner operated place with great grilled cheese sandwiches, baked goods, excellent coffee and cold drinks. Fresh squeezed orange juice also available.

You will hear mostly Hebrew being spoken around you.
    Indoor/Outdoor seating.

Favorite Dish: Examples:

Order a grilled cheese sandwich (tost g'vina) . You will be asked if you want it with tomato, peppers, pickles, pesto, or, or, or...
    Cost is NIS32 with coffee.

For a breakfast snack a cup of really good coffee and a breakfast cake (yeast cake) costs only NIS14.

• Singles

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Tower Hotel Restaurant: Breakfast during Jewish Passover

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Mar 15, 2010

Breakfast during Jewish Passover

I should say Israeli breakfast plentiful and very varied. Though it was Pesakh and they didn’t give us any bread.
    Passover or Pesakh is a Jewish holy day and festival commemorating the Hebrews' escape from enslavement in Egypt. When Pharaoh freed the Hebrews, it is said that they left in such a hurry that they could not wait for bread to rise. In commemoration, for the duration of Passover, no leavened bread is eaten, for which reason it is called "The Festival of the Unleavened Bread". Matza (unleavened bread) is the primary symbol of the holiday. This bread that is flat and unrisen is called Matzo.
    You can see it on my photo. You can also see "Bon Apetit" in Russian!
    Snacks are also available in the hotel's restaurant as are lunch and dinner.

Instant Answers: Jerusalem

Comments

Jerusalem Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Jerusalem restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jerusalem sightseeing.