Jewish Quarter, Jerusalem

Know about this? Rate It!

• Jewish Quarter
    by meaganelizabeth
  • meaganelizabeth's Profile Photo

Jewish Quarter: Manuevering the markets

by meaganelizabeth Written May 25, 2005

When walking through the markets, for women, dress modestly. Otherwise you will feel strange. People will be talking to you from every shop. Don't be rude, but turn off your ears. Look at everything and decide where you want to stop. Anywhere you stop will have all the same basic things. Anything they dont have that you were looking for, they will go to another shop and get for you, or bring another salesperson for you. Setting up shop in one store is usually your best bet. The more you are buying the better the price, and its easier to bargain once in a day rather than 2o times. Although, maybe you need to practice. I have had enough practice for a lifetime, and I feel these rules apply in any market. Accept the tea they offer you, and let them show you their wares.

What to buy: In Jerusalem, middle eastern decor is a great buy. Little peices in your home make it very special. Gorgeous brass lanterns, Antique brass hookahs five feet tall. I have never used mine, but its so strange looking and exotic, gives my loft a great look right away. They have this great crystal with colors baked in, goblets and wine glasses. I bought sets for everyone. Let them prove to you its crystal. P{retty rice paper photo albums, ceramic drums, tons of silver.

What to pay: Lanterns that are 24" by 18" should not be more than $40. Smaller and larger differ, as do the materials. My large hookah cost $60, but I had native israelis helping me bargain. 3 sets of crystal that is 18 glasses plus 3 carafes I bought for $120.

• Study Abroad