Jerusalem Tourist Traps

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Jerusalem

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Church of the Holy Sepulchre Souvenir Photos

by machomikemd Written Oct 8, 2013

Since the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is the main Attraction for Christians around the world on a Holyland Pilgimage in Jerusalem as it is the site of Jesus Crucifixion and Resurrection, there are many hawkers and sellers and even photographers who will offer you a group photo with your tour group with the holy sepulchre as background and print these photos in a postcard style cardboard with holy sepulchre pictures. I have inlcuded this in my tourist trap as the price of a large group photo with the cardboard stand will cost NIS 40 to 60 per person, depending of you will haggle with the photographer.

Unique Suggestions: you are not obliged to buy a picture from the photographer but if you are a cheapskate then don't buy as you can just ask you tour guide to take a group picture with you and the group using your camera and this will be free.

Fun Alternatives: no alternative as all tour groups at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre have favorite photographers that the tour guides will introduce to your group, they might evenb have commisions.

• Architecture
    • Photography

• The Orthodox Church next to St Anne's Church

by onelifeliveit Written Jun 27, 2010

There is no truth that this was the true place of Mary's birth as opposed to the church next door that has Betheseda on it's site. We heard more than one guide mention this to people as they walked past the Orthodox Church. However, we were heard this after we had toured the tiny grounds by some strange man that was not afilliated with the church. He said nothing, just pointed to this tiny dank cave and asked for a donation that people left on the rock inside. Clearly a money making scheme for him although we only gave 10 shekels.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Muslim HolySites forbidden for Christians?

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Mar 19, 2010

Unfortunately I wasn't allowed visit the Al-Aqsa Mosque and to the Dome of the Rock. I don’t know why - may be it was because of Jewish Passover or another reason… But when I came to the passage to the Muslim part of the Temple Mount I was asked by a policemen if I’m a Muslim or not. I answered that I’m not a Muslim.
    So I was forbidden to go through the passage to those famous Muslim Holy Sites… Pity, may be next time…

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Don’t forget your coat in a hotel when a

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Mar 17, 2010

Heat!

I visited Jerusalem in April. When I left Moscow +3C was there. It was an early spring and I took a coat with me in my trip to Israel. When I explored Jerusalem +34C was there! It was too much for me but what a heat is there in July or August I suppose!
    When I went to Tel Aviv from Jerusalem I unintentionally left my coat in a hotel. I forgot about it because I couldn’t even imagine what for I took a coat there when it was such a heat, haha!

• tmsznowak's Profile Photo

Overpriced ticket top Betlehem

by tmsznowak Updated Dec 2, 2009

Single ticket from Jerusalem to Betlehem for 6 NIS

I was going to Betlehem by Route 21 bus from Damascus Gate Bus Station. When I came to the station the bus was waiting and boarding passengers. An Arabic guy standing at the bus asked me if I was going to betlehem. When I sad "yes" he told me: "OK, it's 21 Shekels paid to the driver". I handled my money and got a ticket for 6 NIS!!!
    On the way back the same driver sold me a ticket for correct price...

Unique Suggestions: Find out the what the price is before boarding yhe Arabic bus. Than be sure of yourself and tell the driver you know the correct price if he wants to ripp you off...

• scpinmd's Profile Photo

The Apple Shop, Manzane

by scpinmd Updated Jun 17, 2007

Mr. Apple in front of his shop.

Stores along the Via Dolorosa.

Unique Suggestions: We stopped in this shop to pick up a few souvenirs because the owner was such a pleasant man. He said he went to a Baptist school in Waco, Texas of all places! He is a friendly guy familiar with Americans.

The shop is near the Fifth Station.
    Via Dolorosa 30
    Tel. 02-6273740
    Cell. 0522876901
    E-mail: apple_jerusalem@yahoo.com

• midnight_mike's Profile Photo

Money changers and their hidden fees

by midnight_mike Written Apr 26, 2007

It is hard to find bank machines in the Old City and you will possibly be tempted to patronize one of the money changers advertising "No Commission." Do not do it! They are not a charity and in place of a fee will just give you a bad rate. If you do not find a bank machine outside of the Old City, go to the Jewish quarter as there are several places to withdraw money.

Most of the money changers are clustered near the Jaffa Gate and the Tower of David Museum. This is also where most of the tourist shops are located. (Do I smell a conspiracy?!!! Why haven't any bank machines been placed here?) Do not ask any shop owners near this area where there is a bank machine as he will likely lead you to a money changer. After changing money, he will want you to spend it in his shop! From the Jaffa Gate, walk east about 500 meters and then turn right (south). The shop owners in the Jewish quarter will point you in the right direction without trying to pressure you into buying something at their store.

• fabrice's Profile Photo

in the old city,everything is...

by fabrice Updated Feb 2, 2006

in the old city,everything is very expensive.At the wailing wall,you will probably be asked by a charming american jew:welcome to jerusalem!he is only trying to invite you to a shabbat to make you become religious----2 options if you do not want to go:say in hebrew:ma!!ata lo medaber ivrit,haïta baaretz 20 shana,lo nakhon?translation:you still do not speak hebrew after twenty years here?----second option:tell him you are not jewish:you will become invisible!

• Flyboy9MR's Profile Photo

Old City - The whole place is a tourist trap

by Flyboy9MR Written Oct 6, 2005

Market in Old Jerusalem

You'd think that the central focus of the Old City would be the religious and historical aspects of it... and in general, it is! BUT.... The markets and shops and taxis are ALL geared towards the tourist. They will HIGH BALL you with prices. Bargaining is expected. Every shop sells the same tourist merchandise. And they will PRESSURE and PRESSURE you into buying something and at the prices they want... which, according to a tour guide I talked to, is AT LEAST 2x what the item is really worth.

So you have a choice... stay firm, or decide up front you're going to help with the city's poverty, and pay more than you need to for anything you buy (including taxi service).

Unique Suggestions: At least act like you are trying to bargain. If you're the meek type... stick with the hotel shops (and even there, you can bargain - they're usually just not as overpriced)... or wait until you get to the airport to buy something.

Fun Alternatives: Shopping in the old-world like markets is part of the fun... Don't wuss out! Go and do it! And don't get so wrapped up in the actual price... enjoy the experience of trying to haggle with someone you've just met who's calling you his best friend for life. :)

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo

Here vs. There Concept

by jadedmuse Written Jun 25, 2005

A stone upon which Jesus allegedly was imprisoned

What you will find prevailing in Jerusalem - and this is true for much of the country, where holy sites are concerned - is that every time you think you're at a place where something was purported to have happened, there's another place down the road where it's also alleged to have occured.

Which is it? How do we know for sure whether Jesus walked this path, or maybe it was two alleys down....Is the golgotha rock actually under the Holy Sepulchre or is it right outside the Walled City in a recently excavated quarry that dates back a few thousand years....you enter through a doorway over which is scrawled the words "Peter's Prison"....and you feel a rush of excitement! The next day you visit St. Peter's Church on Mt. Zion and puzzle over the allegations that he was imprisoned there....but wait! Which is it? You nod respectfully to an old monk who guards an underground cavelike prison where Jesus was supposed to have spent the last night of his life, awaiting execution....an hour later, you visit another place where the same thing is believed! Outside of the Old City you visit "The Garden Tomb" - alleged burial place of Jesus Christ. But wait! Didn't you just see the Holy Sepulchre and wasn't THAT the place where he was buried and resurrected?! Which is it? Over in the Galilee area, you dip your foot in the Jordan River and visualize John the Baptist proclaiming the coming of the Messiah....until you're driving down the road to Eilat and you pass by Jericho where, along the side of the road, is a sign that leads to the place where John the Baptist allegedly baptized Jesus Christ, among others....but WAIT! WHICH IS IT???!!!

So my advice to you is to just go with the flow and enjoy the experience of just walking along sand and dirt and rock and earth that dates centuries back to a time when any or all of these things were bound to have happened....somewhere along the way.....

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo

Taking Photos of Locals with Camels

by jadedmuse Written Jun 25, 2005

The views of the Old Walled City and surrounding area as seen from the front of the Seven Arches Hotel are some of the best in the area. For the most part these views are gratis - but you won't be alone at the top....you'll probably find some tourist buses up there dropping off the masses for their photo ops; you'll also find some local Arabs making the most of the opportunity. If you want to take a photo of this guy and his camel, it will cost you. But like anything there, you can drive the bargain and name the price. And actually it's not really the locals who are the nuisance in question - it's probably more the fellow tourists who are running around posing.

• CADUM's Profile Photo

Outside of the walled city

by CADUM Written Mar 4, 2005

Do not go to shops outside of the walled city in Jerusalem. Most of these little stores are "in bulk" items that are massed produced for a quick sale. In other words junk.

Unique Suggestions: In Jerusalem shop in the walled city and take your time.

Fun Alternatives: Go to shops at real sites or in more rural areas.

• kevarms's Profile Photo

Guide scam

by kevarms Written Jan 9, 2004

I'm sure I wasn't the first or last person to fall for this one but even now I feel very foolish. Having just finished the walk of the Old City walls and man approached me and offered to give me a guided tour. "Duh ! Okay !" We set off at a brisk pace... I had to practically jog to keep up ... into the maze of alleys and streets. Every now and then we'd stop somewhere, he'd give a two second speech about the place before we headed off again. At the Western Wall, after I'd had my photo taken, I finally broached the subject of payment for this not very enjoyable experience. I can't recall the exact figure now but it made me very, very angry. Let's say it was around 50 just for argument's sake .. that's US dollars, not shekels !!! We had a little disagreement at this point as you can imagine. I almost lost my temper totally, but realising where I was and how vulnerable I was I eventually gave him about half of what he wanted before he stormed off.

• Archeology

• dankata's Profile Photo

Kiriya

by dankata Updated Mar 30, 2003

The atmosphere within the City walls is really tense. And that's not avoidable. I am talking about some spiritual density, something you can feel almost physically. It makes you feel involved in a story much greater and older than you. You may call it Kafkaesque feeling. Honestly speaking, it wasn't very comfortable for me. Outside the walls the air is lighter.
    In any case it's incomparable with any other place I've been to. I guess being in a sea storm may produce similar sensations.

• tvdm's Profile Photo

The Church of the Holy...

by tvdm Updated Sep 12, 2002

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is very tacky, but a necessary (and still very interesting) item on your itinerary. It's a bit strange to find that both the place where Christ was crucified (pic) and buried are all in the same space that the church now occupies! But all prejudices aside, you just have to ignore it all, and immerse in religion for a little while.

Instant Answers: Jerusalem

Comments

Jerusalem Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Jerusalem tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jerusalem sightseeing.