Bus or Taxi, Jerusalem

Know about this? Rate It!

• Bus or Taxi
  • Bus or Taxi
    well paved roads
  • machomikemd's Profile Photo

Big Tour Buses and Private Vans

by machomikemd Written Oct 8, 2013

as major part of the Visitors to Jerusalem are the Various Christian Pilgrims around the world who day multi-day tours in Groups, the preferred transportation is the big tour buses and large private vans that take the pilgrims around the biblical sites around Jerusalem, but since the Roads are Narrow in the Mount of Olives area and in the Old City, and these buses and vans have no designated parking areas, then most of the visitors to these areas then walk around the sites with their tour guides and then after the Jerusalem tours, are fetched by their bug tour buses and private vans at the western gate just beside the Western (Wailing Wall) where there is a large waiting area for the buses and vans.

• Business Travel

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Well Paved Highways, Chaotic Roads in Old City

by machomikemd Updated Oct 4, 2013
    wide highways at west jerusalem

Jerusalem is both a modern and an Old, it has wide, well paved roads and highways criss crossing the city and connecting it to other points of Israel and the West Bank and it only becomes a big bus nightmare when you will be visiting the Old City and East Jerusalem as the old city has small roads, often uneven stone pavements that buses are not allowed to enter and hence, most of the Tourists going to the Old City are dropped at around the 7 gates and then the tourists then proceed to walk around the attractions and then the buses will then pick you up at the exit of the wailing wall.

• Adventure Travel

• gilabrand's Profile Photo

Taking a Taxi – and Living to Tell the Tale

by gilabrand Updated Aug 22, 2013

At the mention of the word "taxi" people's blood pressure goes up. "Watch out for those taxi drivers. They're all a bunch of crooks. They'll run you all over town and charge you an arm and a leg." That's the general attitude - and not only in Israel. Without going so far as to say that Jerusalem taxi drivers are saints, if you adhere to a few guidelines, traveling by taxi doesn't have to be a painful ordeal.

First of all, the Hebrew word for taxi is "moneet" - a word derived from that all-important feature of taxi cabs known as the "moneh" - the meter. By law, the driver has to put the meter on when you get in. Don't expect it to read "0."
    As of this writing, the starting fare is NIS 12.30. There are two rates, one for daylight hours, and the other - 25% higher - for nighttime, Saturdays and holidays. Calling a taxi, as opposed to flagging one down in the street, adds another NIS 3.30.

Many drivers will immediately offer you a "special price" for the trip instead of turning on the meter. Unless you've gone that route before and know more or less how much it should cost, I would opt for the meter - BUT -and this is very important if you want to enjoy the trip - be pleasant about it. Ask for the meter to be put on nicely - not as if you're sure the guy is ripping you off. Taxi drivers are human beings, and this is also true of Israeli taxi drivers.

They are certainly nothing like the courteous cabbies you find in England. They won't open the door for you, or carry your luggage or double as a tour guide, but they are capable of being friendly. The main thing to remember is that they are very sensitive to being ordered around or spoken to like servants. And if you get on their good side, you stand a better chance of getting to where you want to go without "being taken for a ride."

Special advice for women traveling alone: Never sit next to the cab driver. This is the Middle East, ladies. It's always safer to sit in the back.

• Business Travel
    • Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• gilabrand's Profile Photo

Cheapest but not for everyone

by gilabrand Updated Jun 20, 2013

Bus #947 - Airport Bus

A bus is the cheapest way to get from Jerusalem to Ben Gurion International Airport. The cost of a one-way ticket to the airport is NIS 23 ($5-6), which includes a free transfer ticket ("kartis hemshekh") for the shuttle that takes you from the junction to the airport itself.

There are two airport buses: #950 (express, only in the morning) and #947. You can buy a ticket at the window in the bus station (upstairs, on the same level as the bus platforms) or on the bus (no need for exact change). Bulky luggage should be placed in the compartment under the bus as there are no overhead storage racks above the seats.

A bus leaves every 20 minutes or so from Platform 18 on the upper floor of the Jerusalem Central Bus Station, and the connecting shuttle (#5) arrives about 5 minutes after you get off the first bus. No walking involved but you do stand outside, which could be a problem in the rain.

Travel time using the express bus is about 45 minutes. The shuttle ride from the El Al junction is about 10 minutes. There are 2 stops inside Airport City before you get to the terminal itself.

This option may be inexpensive but it involves getting to the bus station, going through security, dragging luggage up the escalator, and then getting it on and off two buses. Is it worth it? I'm not sure. I think getting picked up at your address by a Nesher airport taxi for NIS 64 shekel is a better deal. But if you are a bus person, go for it.

Fast and Cheap to Ben Gurion Airport from Jerusale

by Cruiseone2003 Written Mar 4, 2010

Since I was in Israel in February which was very wet, I opted not to take the bus back to Ben Gurion airport since it involved a bus change at the El Al Junction and who wants to arrive for their flight looking like a drowned wet rat?

The next option was Nesher Taxi, they operate a Shared Van service or "Shurut" from your hotel/residence in Jerusalem to the airport. Call 24hours in advance and set up a reservation or if you are in a hotel, have the front desk do it for you.

The price was 50Sheckels so about double the cost of a bus. The added convenience was worth the extra money plus it was pouring the day I left Jerusalem so in my opinion, worth every sheckel spent.

The van showed up on time, the driver loaded our bags, we were the last two to board the van that holds 10 persons so my ride was only about 1 hour but if you are one of the first guests to be picked up you will be getting a tour of Jerusalem so plan accordingly and be prepared.

City Tour/Double decker tour bus

by Cruiseone2003 Updated Feb 24, 2010

One of my favorite things to do when visiting a city for the first time is to take a double decker tour bus to give me a quick idea of the layout of the city and then I can go back and see more of something that caught my eye and not waste time on other parts.

The bus is run by Israel's Eg'ged bus company, look for the bright red double decker bus, you pay the driver in cash or major credit card, you are handed a pamphlet and set of mini earphones, find a seat, plug in and get ready to see "85 of the most remarkable sites in the city of Jerusalem" according to their pamphlet. The tour is pre recorded and in many languages.

I was lucky to score a seat at the front on top which has it's pro's and cons. The pro's is you can see everything that the driver does, the bad is you can see the crazy driving that takes place on the streets not to mention the very bold pedestrians who on more than one occasion walked in front of our fast moving bus to cross a street.

The tickets are good for 24 hours but another bonus is to use the ticket the next day as transportation to get to the other side of the city vs paying to ride the city bus.

Eg'ged from Ben Gurion airport to Jerusalem

by Cruiseone2003 Updated Feb 24, 2010

I did my research or so I thought, and assumed that the bus from Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem would be nonstop if I went by bus. What I discovered is the bus requires a change but looking back, it wasn't that bad and the price was right.

After exiting customs, look for the signs above that read to "Busses" and take the escalators up two floors. Cross the first road and look for Bus #5 , this is the free bus that drives around the airport and the industrial parks that surround Ben Gurion airport and makes a stop at the "El Al Junction" which is the stop to get off and catch the #947 to Jerusalem.

Pay the driver on the #5 for the ticket all the way to Jerusalem, I paid NIS22.50. The ride to the connecting bus stop is about 10-15 minutes and maybe one or two stops while enroute. The driver spoke enough English to explain to me what needed to be done.

Once we arrived at the "El Al Juncction" the driver told me to follow two other passengers who were going to the bus stop for their connecting bus. This is where it got a little strange for me but I was in an industrial park area, lots of traffic, no sidewalks and once you cross the main highway you will see an open air bus shelter but most people are just standing on the side of the road waiting for their bus. This is probably the most informal bus stop I have ever seen but when in Rome................ Many busses make quick stops to pick up other people. Eventually my bus arrived, I asked the friendly driver what do I do about my large suit case, he popped open the luggage storage from his driver seat, I put my bag in, closed the door and boarded the bus. The bus was about 3/4 full, lots of single seats but the strange thing to me was how the people in the seats next to the empty ones had their stuff on the seat as if to say, "I want two seats, please don't sit here". I wasn't about to stand so I chose an empty seat, asked the person on her cell phone to please move her items and took a seat. This was my first experience in the necessity of being just a little pushy to get what you need/want while in Israel.

The bus ride took about 55 minutes, I think we had two quick stops enroute to let people off and then we pulled into the Jerusalem bus station on Jaffa road which is centrally located and easy to make other bus/taxi/sherut connections.

• Taxi from Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem Israel

by jameswoods1 Updated Oct 20, 2009

Hi fellow travelers

Just wanted to share a positive experience I had few days ago when I landed in Israel.

In one of my Google searches, I can across the Israel Taxi site - http://www.israeltaxi.net, which offered a transportation service from Ben Gurion Airport to any part in Israel.

After trying it myself, I can recommend you to try it too - I've traveled from Ben Gurion Airport to Jeruslaem in Zohar's taxi. Zohar was very friendly and his taxi was clear and convinient.
    I've also used the Israel Taxi service once again when I traveled to Haifa few days later.

I wish you all a pleasant ride...

James

• Work Abroad
    • Luxury Travel

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

Getting to Jerusalem via Eliat

by wilocrek Written Apr 15, 2009
    The Taba/Eliat border crossing

Coming to Israel from Egypt via the Taba border crossing is a reliable way of getting to Jerusalem. The border is open 24hrs every day and depending on how many people there are the security checks are pretty quick. I crossed the border at 6:00 AM after taking the night bus from Cairo and because there weren't very many people it took be about twenty minutes to go through the Egyptian and Israeli security checks. There were plenty of taxis waiting to take me from the border to the Eliat bus station. The taxis charged about 40 NIS. From the bus station there were numerous buses leaving for Jerusalem, the first bus leaves at seven and then ten. You can check the Egged website for current times. It takes about five hours to get to Jerusalem from Eliat by bus.

• graeme83's Profile Photo

Bus Jerusalem to Bethlehem

by graeme83 Written Apr 15, 2009

There is a bus (number 124) that leaves Jerusalem from the Arab bus station near Damascus Gate. The bus itself is small and can hold about 20 people. It cost 4 NIS and runs to the Bethlehem Checkpoint and back. You must travel through the checkpoint to reach Bethlehem. Make sure to bring a passport as your form of identification. From the checkpoint, you can either walk (as I did) or take a taxi to the centre of Bethlehem. The walk took me about 30 minutes from the wall to Manger Square (2-3km).

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

To Ben Gurion Airport from Jerusalem by Bus

by Ekaterinburg Updated Dec 10, 2008

Departure Gate 20, Bus 947 to Haifa via BG Airport

Returning to Ben Gurion from Jerusalem, I used the regular Egged bus service from the Central Bus Station on the north-western end of the Jaffa Road. I arrived at the bus station on a bus from Masada and we had to go inside and take the escalator up one floor to Departures at Level 3. Here the noticeboards display all destinations and departure gates clearly and finding your bus is relatively uncomplicated. There is a securtiy baggage check before you enter Departures but it's quick and non-intrusive. The bus station has plenty of shops and cafes to keep you busy if you have time to spare here.

The bus for Ben Gurion is the 947 to Haifa ( Via Ben Gurion) which departed from gate 20. You do have to change to a No. 5 bus, close to the airport but the same ticket does for both journeys. I was a little apprehensive about missing this stop but the driver and two fellow passengers reminded me in plenty of time.

Cost one-way is NIS 21 = approx EUR4.50

• fabrice's Profile Photo

from ben-gourion airport,cheap...

by fabrice Updated Nov 6, 2007

from ben-gourion airport,cheap and comfortable buses all day long
    egged buses travel to every place in the country;

now there is a train line from ben gourion to jerusalem

arab buses,or collective taxis travel to every place in the west bank;

on jaffa road,collective taxis to tel-aviv and airport

• scpinmd's Profile Photo

Adam and his spotless white Mercedes Taxi

by scpinmd Updated Jun 17, 2007

I wish I had a picture of this man. He was an angel who helped us find parking and, well, just calmed me down! Paige and I had just finished the arduous task of navigating into the Old City via St. Stephen's Gate. Well, the Insight Guide stretches it when they say there is parking. It accommodates 6 cars - max. So, on this one way street that was being used as a two way street we had to get into the gate, turn around and get back down the road hoping no one hit or scratched the rental. I was ready to go home by the time we reached the end of that tiny access road. As I looked to turn onto the main perimeter road, I hear this man say, "And how are you today, sister?" That was Adam. He had us follow him so he could show us where to park and he even drove us back to the gate. It was a pleasure to talk to him. We ran into him two other times as we were walking around the Old City and he recognized us. I believe he is part of the Christ Church Ministries in Jerusalem and is based at the Christ Church Guesthouse right inside the Jaffa Gate. So, if you are looking for a kind and honest person to drive you around the city in a very clean taxi, stop into the Guesthouse and ask for Adam. I hope you find him. (He didn't preach to us, otherwise I would not recommend him!)

• Women's Travel

• jacobzoethout's Profile Photo

Busses in Jerusalem

by jacobzoethout Written Jun 3, 2007
    Jerusalem Bus Stop, David Remez Street

For some years, I didn't take city busses in Jerusalem. Mainly, because of not worrying any family back home and well, the taxi is a convenient and not very expensive alternative. During our last visit, we took the bus from the German Colony to Jaffa Road when we were tired of walking.

• jacobzoethout's Profile Photo

Bus from Tel Aviv

by jacobzoethout Written Jun 3, 2007
    Jerusalem Bus Station, Jaffa Road

Bus number 480 is an express bus that runs every 15 minutes between Tel Aviv Merkaz (Central Train Station) and the main Bus Station on Jaffa Road in Jerusalem. The trip takes 45 minutes but sometimes the traffic is busy and it might take half an hour extra (or even more).

Instant Answers: Jerusalem