At the Airport, Jerusalem

• xaver's Profile Photo

Ben Gurion airport

by xaver Written Jan 7, 2012

code that says you are a threat

This is the place where you stop being a traveller and you start being considered a possible threat. When the hotel receptionjist told me that I should be in the airport 3 hours in advance, I thought: yes as usual but 1 hour and half will be enough. Fortunatly for some reasons we were in the airport 3 hours before the flight infact, I had been controlled and checked and interrogated for 3 hours. All the procedure starts before you arrive at the desk, someone will take your passport and will do some questions, in my case he was disturbed by my several trips in Malaysia, so he kept asking why I went, when was the last time, name of my contacts there (which I kindly let him notice it was none of his business) and so on. After the questions about your trips and your contacts around the world he decides if you can go on with normal controls or if you are a possible threat and he sticks a code on your passport which will say to any further control that you are a threat. So you get your lagguages inspected with explosive detectors and you must repack all your lagguages at least twice. Once they controlled the lagguage I was going to board, I git accompanied by the security at the flight company desk so she was sure I would not put anything dangerous in the lagguage during the 50 meters that separated us from the desk(if this is not paranoia..).
    After that a separated control for hand lagguage and, at that point I was really afraid of a phisical inspection that fortunatly did not happen.
    After all I understand all the need of security that they may have, I did not protest as I use to respect the rules of the country where I am a guest, but I as I said I did not feel a traveller a tourist, or a guest, but just a possible threat and it was not something I liked or appreciated, or I felt necessary.

• Adventure Travel

• Goner's Profile Photo

Don't leave your luggage unattended

by Goner Updated Dec 24, 2003

A View from the the Roof Top Restaurant

A mistake I made was to walk across the room to tell my touring partners farewell at the Ben Gurion airport -- thus, I left my bags unattended. When I saw two guards head for my bags, I ran to claim them. Our tour guide grabbed the bags from me and placed them in a cart and said, "DON'T LEAVE YOUR BAGS UNATTENDED OR THEY WILL BLOW THEM UP". Oops - didn't do that again.

• Goner's Profile Photo

Search at the Airport

by Goner Updated Jan 10, 2003

Statue of David at the Citadel

I had left my group and was by myself when it was time to head back to the US. Before I could check my luggage they were placed on a table by the guards and I was interrogated for half an hour about where my suitcase had been and who I had been with and where I had been. The guards were so young it was difficult to for me to take them seriously, but I understood they did need to know who I was and if someone had put something in my bag without my knowing. They were very courteous and I didn't feel threatened. Just be prepared to face the same situation if you travel there.

Instant Answers: Jerusalem