Places to eat in Israel

Most Viewed Restaurants in Israel

• SAVIDA-Seafood Bar: Savida - Turkish Bazaar, Old City, Akko

by asmulovitz Updated Aug 18, 2013

Savida- Seafood Bar – Turkish Bazaar, Old City- Akko

Seeing that I had a free day, I decided to go on a one-day tour of my own. I thought that if tourists come to visit Akko, then I should do the same and set out to explore places I haven’t been to before. I set off to see the Tunisian Synagogue and saw a sign pointing the way to the Old City. I had read in a local newspaper about the Turkish Bazaar in Akko which piqued my curiosity and figured why not take a walk around? The Turkish Bazaar is at the entrance to the Old City. Following the sign, I turned off into a passage which transported me back to the Ottoman Empire. The Turkish Bazaar was built in the late 18th century as a municipal market. As I walked through the recently renovated market, the scent of cardamom and other spices fill the air.
    I peeked into several shops and at one, did a double-take. My eyes had not deceived me; yes I indeed saw a boat -- the bar was fashioned out of an ancient boat. Two girls sat drinking cold beers, happily chatting with Ohad, proprietor and Dan, proprietor and chef.
    I was brought an appetizer of fish ceviche made out of whitefish and Sabras- the symbolic desert fruit of Israel, served in a clam shell.
    Next came grilled sardines accompanied by a horseradish and yogurt sauce, and grilled red pepper and yogurt sauce.
    A side dish of a potato baked in the taboon with butter and garlic sauce was simple yet utterly delicious.
    Ohad brought me the perfect cup of coffee spiced with cardamom from the neighboring coffee shop.
    I left Savida vowing to return again and taste from the bounty of the sea once more.

Favorite Dish: Everything I had was delicious. I had fish ceviche made with sabras-prickly pear served in a large clam shell. The grilled sardines were great with the two sauces, and of course potato baked in the taboon was just so basically good! I need to try more dishes in order to be able to decide on a favorite

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Burgeranch: Kosher Fast Food

by pieter_jan_v Written Nov 23, 2012

You just have to get used to it: A fast food restaurant with no milshakes and only certain kinds of meat. Despite the name Burgeranch; it's stil food the Israelian way.

The first branch opened in 1972 in Tel-Aviv, well before the first McDonalds.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo

MEATOS Grill Bar: No Ham in the Burger

by gilabrand Updated Dec 27, 2011

Contrary to expectations, kosher restaurants are not so easy to find in Tel Aviv. Looking for a place for a family party of ten on a Saturday night, there were not a whole lot of options, but we finally chose Meatos grill bar and were quite happy with our choice.

The restaurant is centrally located near the Tel Aviv Museum on the ground floor (street entrance) of an imposing office building called Beit Asia that is hard to miss with its facade of undulating white strips. It was a cold rainy night, but the covered patio where we were seated was warmed by overhead heaters that imparted a red glow to the dark interior. The décor is chic and elegant, with dark wood tables and black leather upholstered chairs and a bit of color added by the red globes on each table holding flickering tealights. Personally, I thought it was a bit too dark (I like to see what I’m eating), but it was definitely atmospheric.

Meat, of course, is the star here, as you can see from the name of the restaurant, (actually, it’s a pun on the word “mythos” which is pronounced “meatos” in Hebrew). While waiting for our order, we nibbled on some tasty cracked olives that were set out on the table. Our order included a variety of starters and grilled meats, from chicken and beef skewers to hamburgers, with mashed potatoes or French fries on the side. The oldest member of our party (91) enjoyed her filleted St. Peter’s fish, and the vegetarian, who sheepishly confessed that she still eats fish, liked her ceviche of red tuna.

Favorite Dish: My hamburger was very good, grilled medium well, as requested, and seasoned with lots of black pepper. I don’t eat hamburgers very often, but I’m sure this one was a far cry from the junk food variety. The bun was a bit overwhelming so I left most of that on the plate, and the fries were on the burnt side. Dishes that got special raves were the beef tortilla and the mushroom tapas. We were all pretty full, but since this was a party, we shared two desserts – the Ferrero Roche mousse and the hot apple tart with ice cream (non-dairy) that came with a sparkler on top. We each got a spoon to dig in, and I am pleased to report that we licked the platter(s) clean.

The bill for the 10 of us was NIS 798, approximately 80 shekels per person, which seems reasonable these days.

• Religious Travel

The Spa Restaurant: Ein Geddi Restaurant

by VeronicaG Updated Apr 4, 2011

After visiting Masada's heights, those of us who had opted for that trip joined the others at the En Gedi Spa.

The Spa gives one the opportunity to float in the Dead Sea, rub mineral-rich mud all over one's body and dine at one of the spa's restaurants. Our group met at The Spa restaurant for our mid-day meal, served cafeteria style.

As I remember there were many different types of veggies and salad fixings, but entrees could be ordered as you progressed along with your tray. I believe I just had a salad plate that day. The dining room was light and airy with plenty of seating. A second restaurant, Pundak, was on the premises but we did not dine there nor investigate the room.

Below is info. direct from the spa's website:

"The Pundak restaurant at the Ein Gedi beach is open from 10:00 to 18:00 (winter - to 17:00).

The Spa restaurant is open 11:30 to 16:00. There are Kiosks (drinks, ice-cream, snacks, sandwiches) at the entrance to Nachal David (opens at the nature reserve opening hours) and at the beach, by the Pundak.

You can buy food at the Field School shop. It is opened 18:30-19:30 (Friday 12:00-13:00, Shabbat - closed).

There is a minimarket at the shopping mall in Ein Bokek (40 min. driving)".

For more information on the Spa or other Ein Gedi attractions: call 972-8-658-444 if outside the country or 08-6594658 in Israel.

• Beaches
    • Spa and Resort

Black Steer: South African food in Herzliya

by ophiro Updated Apr 4, 2011

Black steer is a good south african restaurant that serves all kind of meat - Hamburgers , Steaks , Chicken and more.

The food here is very good and you can even enjoy meetings or conferences in the VIP room they've got here.
    We had here a birthday party and enjoyed.

Favorite Dish: I ate here a great fillet Steak , one of the best steaks i ate here in Isreal.

• DovoftheGalilee's Profile Photo

Baget Neer: Cleanest joint in town!

by DovoftheGalilee Updated Apr 4, 2011

Falafel and shwarma is the fast food of Israel and here at Baget Neer they deliver a fine meal for an excellent price. The restaurant has indoor and outdoor eating, cleanliness all around and that includes the bathroom! Usually stands with this sort of fare don't even offer bathrooms so this in itself is notable.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant offers one condiment that is out of the ordinary from most places and that's crushed garlic. It was the first place I ever encountered it and it's had me coming back for years.

Tel Aviv - Bellini: Tel Aviv - Bellini

by ophiro Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant is a romantic italian restaurant in a quiet place near The Suzan Dalal Center in Tel Aviv (Neve Tzedek) , great food , not expensive for that kind of restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I love the pasta with 4 types of cheese.
    The Tiramisu for desert is great also.

The bread they serve in the begining of the meal is very good.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

En Gev Harbour: Along The Way...

by VeronicaG Updated Aug 18, 2009

Although we dined at our hotels in the evening, we often found ourselves traveling during the day. Such was the case when we pulled into Ein Gev Harbour Restaurant, where there is a pretty beach and resort located at this kibbutz.

Several of our fellow travelers were looking forward to sampling some St. Peter's fish, the traditional choice when visiting Galilee. According to those who ordered it, this fish contains many small bones, too many to remove. I didn't order this for lunch, but opted for a pizza instead. I know, I know...when in Rome, but I'm not a big fish eater.

We chose to seat ourselves in the outdoor dining area, where we relaxed in the shade. The wait staff was friendly and prompt--we enjoyed our stop here! Inside, a small gift shop carried essentials, clothing and souvenirs.

Thankfully, I was able to pick up a moderately priced jersey, water shoes and pants to wear in the Jordan River since I forgot my bathing suit. I believe swimsuits were available, but I didn't want to take time to try on 42 or more suits to find one that looked presentable on me. 'Sigh'...

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

AROMA: Stop by for a Latte or Frappaccino

by VeronicaG Updated Aug 18, 2009

After our River Jordan visit, our group lobbied to stop for refreshment. AROMA welcomed us with frappuccinos, cappuccino's, espresso's, mocha coffee, Turkish coffee, oj, iced tea...you name it! We were thrilled to find this espresso bar.

Resembling Starbucks, we ordered at the counter, paid, then had our choice of tables. A generous selection of coffee drinks was available. I chose a chai latte with non-fat milk ($3.50), which was the only latte I noticed on the menu board. It was delicious!

Salads, sandwiches and pastries are also available. The service was prompt and courteous; the interior clean and neat. We would have made a return visit if only it were closer to our destination.

• Women's Travel

A German Colony pizza shop in Israel: A Cheap Meal

by VeronicaG Updated Aug 4, 2009

When I wasn't eating falafels, I was eating pizza for lunch. Pizza was by far the cheapest means of filling our stomachs on the road.

This particular pizza shop was located near the German Colony. Our bus dropped us off, giving us a 1/2 hour to find a meal. Some of our group went to the fruit market for their lunches; others to the falafel stand.

I made a real faux pas when I ordered my usual pizza: mushroom and pepperoni. OOPS! I was nicely reminded by a fellow traveler that pork was not available. I KNEW THAT!! The slice of pizza was delivered to our table on a piece of cardboard rather than a plate.

You were to hold it upright by your mouth and gently slide it down bite by bite. It was quite fun, actually. The cost of a large slice of pizza and diet pop was $5.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo

Shira’le Café: Flora (not fauna) in Florentin

by gilabrand Updated Jun 14, 2009

In the Florentin neighborhood – one of those rundown, ramshackle quarters in Tel Aviv that the yuppies take over as soon as it gets dark, when the crumbling stucco, grimy workshops and cracked pavements magically become quaint and charming - is a kosher vegetarian/dairy restaurant called Shira’le. Looking for somewhere to have a bite after furniture shopping on Herzl Street, several locals pointed us toward Shira’le. We were glad we listened to them.

Shira’le – a diminutive of Shira (a girl’s name meaning “song”) – is a colorful, bohemian sort of place with an emphasis on healthy food, but not overly healthy, if you get my meaning. They don’t plunk down a plate of alfalfa sprouts and expect you to fill up on that.

All the dishes we ordered were nicely seasoned and attractively presented. The goat cheese toast (28 shekels), mini-pizza (“pizza’le”) (28 shekels) and Portobello mushroom quiche (38 shekels) were accompanied by small bowls of salad greens with a tangy, slightly sweet dressing. As befitting a veggie restaurant, my husband washed this down with fresh carrot juice (12 shekels). The kids chose hot chocolate (16 shekels).

With the front tables pushed together for a family party, we went through the glass doors to a little garden at the back, just large enough for a wooden table and banquette. The atmosphere was cozy and informal, and the cute waitress served us with a big smile.

It’s worth a trip to the bathroom just to see the crazy pavement floor. And don’t miss the plaque on the wall over the sink: It’s a Hebrew blessing thanking God for constructing the human body in a way that allows us to “do our business.” It’s a real prayer, by the way – not a joke.

Caravan: A waste of time in Abu Ghaush

by ophiro Updated May 16, 2009

Caravan restaurant is a middle eastern restaurant in the middle of Abu Ghaush with a beautiful view to the mountains.

This is the only good thing i can say about the reataurant.

The service was one of the lousiest i saw in such kind of restaurant (should be quick).

We waited a lot for the food , a young 3 years old kid waited for his food for 30 minutes and after everyone finished their dished he still didnt get his food (but we gave him from our plates).

The food wasnt bad but wasnt good either.

The dishes are very expensive and small.

Favorite Dish: The kebab was fair and not more.

• vivacolombia's Profile Photo

Try all kind of food - everything's delicious

by vivacolombia Written Aug 22, 2008

Israel... just the name gets me hungry. What a diverse gastronomy. What a rich chance to it dishes full of tastes. Whether you like lamb chops, humus or a goat cheese salad, you'll never get disapointed. Everything''s delicious

• Sohbet's Profile Photo

Uri Buri: Freshest Fish on the Mediterranean Coastline

by Sohbet Written Jun 7, 2008

Excellent atmosphere and delicious fish in a beautifully archaic building in one of the last preserved Crusader cities.

Favorite Dish: You can't go wrong with any fish dish on the menu. Also, the fresh mint lemonade is to die for.

• Sohbet's Profile Photo

The Witch & The Milkman: Not-to-be-missed restaurant in Nowheresville

by Sohbet Written Jun 7, 2008

Adorably decorated cafe and restaurant tucked into a beautiful corner of Nimrod. Large, breezy open windows with excellent views of Lake Birket Ram and the Druze village of Mas'ada. Food is gorgeous and craftfully prepared.

Israel Hotels

4 Reviews - 7 Photos
Akko Hotels
160 Reviews - 537 Photos

Instant Answers: Israel

Comments

Israel Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Israel restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Israel sightseeing.
Map of Israel