Places to eat in Israel

Wines of Israel (wine store in Yaffo) Rehov Nahum Goldman 12, 03-6825517
    Chateau Golan (Golan Heights, Israel), Moshav Eliad, www.chateaugolan.com
    Dalton (North Central Israel) info@dalton-winery.com
    Gustavo & Jo (North Central Israel) Kfar Vradiem, www.israelwines.co.il/gustavo
    Latroun (East Central Israel)
    Recanati (North West Israel) Emek Hefer, www.recanati-winery.com
    Ramat Arad (Southern Israel, near Arad)
    Zariet (Golan Heights, Israel)
    Tabor (North Central Israel) twc@twc.co.il
    Amiad (North Eastern Israel)
    Meishar (West Central Israel) near Gedera, www.meishar.co.il
    Benhaim Kfar ?Azar Village, www.benhaim.co.il
    Tzora (East Central Israel) near Jerusalem, info@tzorawines.co.il
    Amphorae (North West Israel) near Haifa, www.amphorae-v.com
    Margalit (West Central Israel) near Rehovot, ORSSS@netvision.net.il
    The Cave (Northwestern Central Israel), near Zichron Yaakov, thecave@zahav.net.il
    Barkan www.barkan-winery.co.il
    Carmel (West Central Israel) Rishon LeTzion, gila@carmelwines.co.il
    Tishbi (North Western Israel) near Zichron Yaakov, http://www.tishbi.com
    Binyamina (North Central Israel) info@binyaminawines.co.il

These are not in any particular order and there are dozens more but they are ones we have tried their wines, I will try to add more information as I get it.

Favorite Dish: The picture shows a selection of wines that we have at home at the moment. They are (from left to right):
    1) Barkan, Cabarnet Sauvignon
    15) Carmel Selected, Zinfandel

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

A German Colony pizza shop in Israel: A Cheap Meal

by VeronicaG Updated Aug 4, 2009

When I wasn't eating falafels, I was eating pizza for lunch. Pizza was by far the cheapest means of filling our stomachs on the road.

This particular pizza shop was located near the German Colony. Our bus dropped us off, giving us a 1/2 hour to find a meal. Some of our group went to the fruit market for their lunches; others to the falafel stand.

I made a real faux pas when I ordered my usual pizza: mushroom and pepperoni. OOPS! I was nicely reminded by a fellow traveler that pork was not available. I KNEW THAT!! The slice of pizza was delivered to our table on a piece of cardboard rather than a plate.

You were to hold it upright by your mouth and gently slide it down bite by bite. It was quite fun, actually. The cost of a large slice of pizza and diet pop was $5.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• gilabrand's Profile Photo

SBARRO: Stick to the Pizza

by gilabrand Written May 4, 2005

You don’t really want to go to Sbarro when you’re in Israel, do you? I mean, what would be the great attraction of an Italian pizzeria when you’re visiting the Holy Land?

Sbarro started out as an Italian grocery store in Brooklyn opened by a family of immigrants from Naples. Since then, it has grown into a pizza parlor and fast-food chain with 900 outlets around the world.

Israel is one of those places that has a Sbarro in every city. I have personally tried the ones in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. You’d expect them to be the same – I mean, a chain is a chain, right? Wrong. The Jerusalem Sbarro is better.

I ate at the Tel Aviv Sbarro, right outside the entrance to Dizengoff Center, only because my husband was hungry and didn’t have the patience to walk a block to look for something better…and believe me, there is better.

The place is not especially clean or attractive. It looked to me like the cleaning staff had put some kind of polish on the brass trimmings of the counter and forgot to rub it off. You stand on a cafeteria-style line with a plastic tray to choose the food. We had garlic bread (what made it garlic, I can’t say), ravioli with a nondescript filling (the tomato sauce, made from real tomatoes, was the best part), fried fish, potatoes and spaghetti and two soft drinks. The bill came to NIS 67 (about $15). It filled us up, but it was all very ordinary.

My daughter and I went to the Jerusalem Sbarro at an interesting time of the year – the day after Passover, when Jews get to eat chametz (bread products) after a whole week of only matza. The place was full of people wolfing down super fresh pizza. We had a slice of regular pizza, 2 garlic rolls and a large glass of lemonade. Everything was very good, especially the garlic rolls.

So if you must eat at Sbarro while you’re in Israel, I would say stick to the pizza.

• Iced_Tea's Profile Photo

Vered Hagalil: Best Outdoor Dining

by Iced_Tea Updated Jan 17, 2004

Vered Hagalil..."Rose of Galilee"..is actually a restaurant, "dude ranch", horse stables and horse training facility! Odd combination, but worth the trip for this fabulous outdoor dining experience. You walk thru the doors of what appears to be a large wooden cabin and continue thru to the horse stables where you are "greeted" by the local celebrities, the horses who are trained at this facility. You will have horses on either side of you as you walk past them (take time to pet them!) they are indeed lovely. Don't wear expensive shoes, you will be walking on straw and dust! Thru the doors, to the outside veranda where you have long candlelit tables and an incredible view of the horse training grounds down the hill. Horses were being ridden as I dined, and it was very interesting to watch. Your meal is prepared outdoors, by a chef who cooks over a large stainless steel BBQ, and the steak was the best I have ever eaten in my life.

Favorite Dish: Sauteed onions cover your steak and the side dishes are excellent!

I am told not to miss the pecan pie; try some for me and let me know how it is!

• Adventure Travel

Tel Aviv - Pizza Pazza: Tel Aviv - Pizza Pazza

by ophiro Updated Dec 5, 2006

This is a small place in Ibn Gebirol Street in Tel Aviv.
    they have 3 places - Ice Cream , Restaurant and a street restaurant.

I love the street restaurant because you can choose what to put in your food.
    You can order Pasta , Salad , Pizza , Lasagna , Calzone and more.

Favorite Dish: Pasta with 90% cream sauce , 10% tomato sauce , and bulgarian and mutzarella cheese is the best pasta to my opinion.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Sampson Home: Martin's Chili

by Martin_S. Updated Oct 26, 2003

Now if you drop by for chili you will be sure to love it. We have friends who hate beans, but when they hear that I am making chili, then they say "When are you inviting us??". So I guess its not too bad. Would you believe that I made 3 pots full (that is about 6 kilos of chili) and it was all finished within a few days. So just ask for an invite when you are here, you might hit it lucky and there will be chili on the table.
    Oh forgot to say, it is only when it gets cold outside, otherwise the chili heats you up too much ;O))))

• KettyDK's Profile Photo

Mifgashim ,: Gastronomic pleasure !

by KettyDK Written Apr 9, 2004

OK , this restaurant might not be one of these ultra-famous places . It's not located in a tourist-crowded area and has no website . All this does not mean that the place isn't great !

"Mifgashim" ( "Meetings" in English ) is a middle-sized , cute and beautifully-furnitured restaurant in Tel-Ha-Shomer area ( which is a part of Ramat-Gan , a nice city in the centre of Israel ) .

You can get anything there : from gourmet dishes such as goose liver to ordinary barbeque meat . The prices are very reasonable . The crowd in "Mifgashim" is mosty middle-classed families , doctors and all the nice people who live in the area .

The service is quick , polite and simply excellent . The place is owned ( so I believe ) by a family , which runs the whole business for a couple of decades .

Favorite Dish: Forel ( trout ) fish in garlic-and-butter sauce . That's definately the best fidh-dish I've ever ate anywhere in the world !

Knafe: Knafe

by ophiro Updated Dec 5, 2006

Knafe or knafa (you say the "K" and the "N" not the kn in knife for example and it sounds like ke'na'fe') is a sweet/salty desert.

It is made of cheese and a sweet sauce with pistachios.

This ia an arab desert and when you walk in the arab markets you can find a lot of places that sell knafe (Akko , Jaffa , Nezerth , Jerusalem , Haifa).

Tel Aviv - Bellini: Tel Aviv - Bellini

by ophiro Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant is a romantic italian restaurant in a quiet place near The Suzan Dalal Center in Tel Aviv (Neve Tzedek) , great food , not expensive for that kind of restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I love the pasta with 4 types of cheese.
    The Tiramisu for desert is great also.

The bread they serve in the begining of the meal is very good.

Malabi: Malabi

by ophiro Updated Dec 5, 2006

Here is a malabi recipe :

Ingredients for 6 poeple :

1 litter milk (or 1 litter water or 50%/50%)
    1/2 cup of sugar (or less or none depends on your taste)
    5 full tablespoons of corn flower
    1 tablespoon of rose water (or more, if you want but it will be very sweet)

you can also add on top of the malabi ::

*Crushed almonds or peanuts
    *Raspberry syrup
    *A few drops of rose water
    *Crushed pistachios
    *Coconut bits

How to make the malabi :

Boil the milk (or 1 litter water or 50%/50%).
    Mix well the corn flower with the 1/2 cup of water and pour it to the boiling milk as you stir.
    Cook for a minute more and Add the rose water.
    Stir a bit, and you're done.

Pour the liquid to 6 cups. Let the cups cool in the fridge for at least an hour or more (until it's 100% cold).
    Just before you serve add the thing you want on top and enjoy your dish.

Croasant cafe: Mi Buenos Aires querido

by Carmela71 Updated Jul 10, 2003

ok, it was purely by chance we meet this place, for our breakfast in Tel Aviv. But since the first day, we loved to sit there and have a nice chat with the owners...

Favorite Dish: Here I learned that the 3rd language more spoken in Israel is the Spanish, and that the Dulce de leche croissants were great lol

Akko Restaurant: Uri_Buri

by Carmela71 Updated Jul 10, 2003

I live in the Mediterranean, and I am used to the good fish, but i have to say this is one of the best places I have tried fish.

Thanks Sharon your recommendation was great

We also discovered here, the mint lemonade... that would be our drink during our visit to Israel, Stace and me we are thinking getting this mint leaves to grow up on the balcony lol .... (Actually if I am not wrong in Spain we call them Hierba Buena, and we used to put on the tea, never in the lemonade... just great)

Hummus

Hummus is the fastest food of the Middle East

Tahina: (also spelled Tahini) Love this sesame paste

Normally you get the two options, hummus and Tahina, when you ask for Falafel, but it is delicious............

I want more.. Specially at this time of the day ;-) Already missing this dish snif snif

Begaleah with Za'atar

by Carmela71 Updated Jul 10, 2003

We bought this bread and eat it with some spices..

I am trying to get them here, I think is a mix between oregano, salt and a few more spices, if you know the recipe, please tell to me.

Thanks again Martin for the names, as usual I should have written, so I did not forgotten.

This was in the Chirstian quarter of Jerusalem, with Martin, Zohara and Tal

at the old port: Ben the Fisherman, Tel Aviv

by Carmela71 Updated Jul 9, 2003

First of all, they bring you a selection of salads, with lots of little dishes ummmmm getting hungry only of thinking on them lol.

Then you order for main dishes.

We had a selection of Seafood (lovely cocked) and also Kebabs, really nice, seriously

Israel Hotels

4 Reviews - 7 Photos
Akko Hotels
160 Reviews - 537 Photos

Instant Answers: Israel

Comments

Israel Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Israel restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Israel sightseeing.
Map of Israel