Arad Favorites

by pieter_jan_v
    Welcome to Arad.
    by pieter_jan_v
  • Mariel at Sampson Pessach dinner, Arad, Israel
    Mariel at Sampson Pessach dinner, Arad,...
    by Martin_S.

Most Recent Favorites in Arad

Rudi & Jolandie - on the road again

Rudi & Jolandie - on the road again

Favorite thing: WOW, that was all I had to say when I saw Rudi's backpack...and did I mention that they rode their mountain bikes from up north all the way to Arad... He might not have had the kitchen sink in there but he did have th bathroom sink !!!

Rudi & Jolandie - POOR Vika

Rudi & Jolandie - Vika finds out about 23

Favorite thing: As I was telling you the story of Rudi and Jolandie's visit with our friends and Tal's party....but as we were sitting down for coffee Vika, little knowing what she was getting herself into, offered to fix BREAKFAST...we of course very quickly accepted. Now you can see the look on her face when she woke up the next morning and found that there were stil 23 people for breakfast !!!!!
    Take a GOOD LOOK ^O^

Rudi & Jolandie - midnight meeting

Dov, Jolandie, Rudi, Martin, after midnight, Arad

Fondest memory: Rudi and Jolandie were again surprised when just after midnight we get a call from our friend Dov and he came over to visit... I think they were saying to themselves "My god what do these people do after midnight"...well the answer in this case was receive a good friend for coffee and he ended up staying the night.

Rudi & Jolandie - they "brush" you off

Rudi & Jolandie -toothbrush collection, Arad

Favorite thing: Rudi and Jolandie woke up to a beautiful morning the next day, but we could not brush our teeth and we found out later, we had a couple of toothbrush "rustlers" in our home.
    They collect used toothbrushes...As they described it to me they collect them because it is something that is personal to a person and they will miss it, almost as if they took a piece of a friend with them.
    Sounds better than collecting magnets ^O^

Rudi & Jolandie - friends on steps

by Martin_S. Updated Jun 9, 2005
    Rudi & Jolandie with friends in Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Rudi and Jolandie came down to visit us for the weekend and were surprised to find that they were not alone, or is it WE were not alone...it was Tal's birthday so she had a party and then pajama party...but our friend Menachem and Dorit and Gabrielle and Schmiel also came down to visit, it was a fun weekend, these are the people who were "left" after three days ^O^

The "Iron" Chef in our home

by Martin_S. Written Mar 28, 2004
    The chef at home here in Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: We took the opportunity to invite a chef into our home, he brought all his equipment with him and prepared a dinner for 20 friends. We enjoyed sitting and learning as he explained all the dishes he prepared for us from the first dish to the desert and coffee. We also gave out pens and notebooks to every friend so they could keep a list of the recipies (and nobody gave the pens back to us, they said it was a souvenier ;O)))
    It was great gathering.

Arad Museum

by Martin_S. Written Nov 19, 2003

Gideon Fridman, Museum Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Don't miss the Arad Museum while you are here, they are a very small museum, but many of the artists and things they present are very fine and done in quite good style.
    This is from a recent single man presentation by Gideon Fridman who works in glass.

• Museum Visits

Faces of friends - Mariya

Martin & Mariya, Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Mariya is Dimitry's 10 year old daughter. After she saw that I gave my beard to her father, she decided that I needed hair on my head also, so she gave me a wig. Till that time I did not know that Dimitry wore a wig, but I guess you can never tell, but it looks pretty good on me.

Faces of friends - Dimitry

Martin & Dimitry

Favorite thing: Dimitry needed a little help from his friend Martin. He does fine on Vodka, being from Russia and all that, but I am helping him convert to wine. But he wanted "hair" so I lent him mine for a picture.

Faces of friends - Carmen and Stacey

Carmen & Stacey in Israel

Favorite thing: Carmen and Stacey came to visit us in Arad and from the first moment we met them in the VT BBQ meet in Herzilya a week before, we knew that we would hit it off. We spent several days touring around the area of the Dead Sea and Arad and then made a trip up to Jerusalem.
    The picture was actully taken at the "Anashiem" restaurant in Jerusalem.

Faces of friends - Steve and Tanya

Steve, Tanya and Us, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Steve and Tanya. It is amazing to me how we became friends. A number of years ago their son Al came to Israel with his wife Cheryl, to the WUJS institute here in Arad. We "adopt" people from there each year to help them assimilate into society here. We adopted Al and Cheryl and became good friends, when Al's parents came to Israel to visit, Al introduced us as Mom and Dad to his parents ^O^. We became good friends with Steve and Tanya also. We have stayed at their home in the US and they have been here to us... several times already.

Faces of Friends- Alice and Tal

by Martin_S. Updated Aug 20, 2003

Tal, Alice and snowman, Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Alice who helped our daughter Tal build a snowman in one of the worst snowstorms I have seen here in almost 30 years.
    They of course attacked me later and then we had a long drawn out snowball fight (which I won by the way). It was me against, Tal, Alice, Tali, Zohara and the cats....

Fondest memory: I could wish that everyone had neighbours like Alice, she is a real gift...

• Desert

Faces of Friends - Ayelet, Berta and Rotem

Ayelet, Berta and Rotem in Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Ayelet, Berta and Rotem (Giora's wife and two youngest daughters). As you can see here our "traditional table is set for the BBQ, we also enjoy camping and hiking togeather, not to mention everything else.

Faces of Friends - Titti and Tal

Titti and Tal in Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Titti, Yosef and Ildico's daughter, she is always helping Tal, if she needs pointers on makeup or dressing or just about anything, even lending her clothes so Tal can look more grownup...And she always gets mad at me for taking her picture.

Faces of Friends - Yosef

Yosef in Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Yosef (Ildico's husband), I think he was demonstrating how a politician looks to everyone when they are saying "trust me".
    We enjoy having the odd BBQ and sometimes they will entertain us with making a Hungarian Goulash, the old traditional way, over an open fire. We also enjoy driving around Israel looking for wine and cheese makers, you know the little private ones you cannot find in the stores.

Instant Answers: Arad

Comments

Arad Favorites

Reviews and photos of Arad favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Arad sightseeing.