Arad Favorites

by pieter_jan_v
    Welcome to Arad.
    by pieter_jan_v
  • Mariel at Sampson Pessach dinner, Arad, Israel
    Mariel at Sampson Pessach dinner, Arad,...
    by Martin_S.

Best Rated Favorites in Arad

Faces of Friends - Arie

Arie in Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Arie, now take a good look at him, would you trust this man ??? Well we have been in the Arad Desert Rescue Team togeather for 20 years and I have put my life in his hands too many time to count. Talk about a life rush, it is a super thrill to be able to say you have actually saved a life, personally.....

Faces of Friends - Yosef

Yosef in Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Yosef (Ildico's husband), I think he was demonstrating how a politician looks to everyone when they are saying "trust me".
    We enjoy having the odd BBQ and sometimes they will entertain us with making a Hungarian Goulash, the old traditional way, over an open fire. We also enjoy driving around Israel looking for wine and cheese makers, you know the little private ones you cannot find in the stores.

Arad Museum

by Martin_S. Written Nov 19, 2003

Gideon Fridman, Museum Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Don't miss the Arad Museum while you are here, they are a very small museum, but many of the artists and things they present are very fine and done in quite good style.
    This is from a recent single man presentation by Gideon Fridman who works in glass.

• Museum Visits

Faces of Friends- Alice and Tal

by Martin_S. Updated Aug 20, 2003

Tal, Alice and snowman, Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Alice who helped our daughter Tal build a snowman in one of the worst snowstorms I have seen here in almost 30 years.
    They of course attacked me later and then we had a long drawn out snowball fight (which I won by the way). It was me against, Tal, Alice, Tali, Zohara and the cats....

Fondest memory: I could wish that everyone had neighbours like Alice, she is a real gift...

• Desert

Faces of friends - Steve and Tanya

Steve, Tanya and Us, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Steve and Tanya. It is amazing to me how we became friends. A number of years ago their son Al came to Israel with his wife Cheryl, to the WUJS institute here in Arad. We "adopt" people from there each year to help them assimilate into society here. We adopted Al and Cheryl and became good friends, when Al's parents came to Israel to visit, Al introduced us as Mom and Dad to his parents ^O^. We became good friends with Steve and Tanya also. We have stayed at their home in the US and they have been here to us... several times already.

Faces of friends - Carmen and Stacey

Carmen & Stacey in Israel

Favorite thing: Carmen and Stacey came to visit us in Arad and from the first moment we met them in the VT BBQ meet in Herzilya a week before, we knew that we would hit it off. We spent several days touring around the area of the Dead Sea and Arad and then made a trip up to Jerusalem.
    The picture was actully taken at the "Anashiem" restaurant in Jerusalem.

Faces of friends - Mariya

Martin & Mariya, Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Mariya is Dimitry's 10 year old daughter. After she saw that I gave my beard to her father, she decided that I needed hair on my head also, so she gave me a wig. Till that time I did not know that Dimitry wore a wig, but I guess you can never tell, but it looks pretty good on me.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

As seen on the road...

by marielexoteria Written Jun 8, 2010

Road to nowhere? No, to the information center

Favorite thing: I like taking buses, trams, trains, etc. above ground because I like looking outside the window and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes on the road I have a camera and take pictures of things I find comical, beautiful, thoughtful... like these shots:

1) Picture #1: I didn't understand what this sign meant. My first thought was "road to where?", but then Zohara explained to me that the "?" means "information". This picture was taken on the road between Ein Boqeq and Masada, while I was on the bus to Masada.

2) Picture #2: in many countries you see traffic signs warning about moose, reindeers, etc. but in Israel they warn about camels, like the ones on this picture. These camels were pictured on the road to the Big Makhtesh.

Rainbow in Arad

by Martin_S. Written Dec 25, 2002

Winter Rainbow, Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Caught this rainbow (called a Keshet in Hebrew) at work during one of the worst rainstorms in 40 years. It has been raining for more than a week almost without stopping, and it is cold also, almost zero (celsius). Usually we have only an average of 80 milimeters of rain PER YEAR (that is only about 3 inches). Rainbows are few and far in between here so all the more beautiful. In the spring and fall, sometimes in the early morning as the sun starts to come up you have a mist as the differences in temperatures causes some moisture to rise into the air and then you can see a rainbow, but it is only short lived and only for those willing to get up with the sun.

Faces of friends - Dimitry

Martin & Dimitry

Favorite thing: Dimitry needed a little help from his friend Martin. He does fine on Vodka, being from Russia and all that, but I am helping him convert to wine. But he wanted "hair" so I lent him mine for a picture.

Faces of Friends - Giora

Giora, Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Giora, no the look was not a reaction to my telling him I would use his picture on VT, but rather a "sour" pistachio nut ^O^
    One of my oldest friends in Arad, we enjoy hiking, mountain bike riding and just about anything in the desert.

Faces of Friends - Titti and Tal

Titti and Tal in Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Titti, Yosef and Ildico's daughter, she is always helping Tal, if she needs pointers on makeup or dressing or just about anything, even lending her clothes so Tal can look more grownup...And she always gets mad at me for taking her picture.

Faces of Friends - Ayelet, Berta and Rotem

Ayelet, Berta and Rotem in Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Meet Ayelet, Berta and Rotem (Giora's wife and two youngest daughters). As you can see here our "traditional table is set for the BBQ, we also enjoy camping and hiking togeather, not to mention everything else.

Sunset

by Martin_S. Updated Sep 3, 2008

Sunset, Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Okay, Okay, I know you won't believe me, but this sunset was taken from our front porch. How would you like to sit with us and have a cup of coffee while watcing this display of nature at its most elegant.........
    My goodness, I just "enlarged" the photo to see how it looks here on VT and I must apologise for the EXTREMELY POOR quality.

• Eco-Tourism

Julie "makes" Arad

by Martin_S. Written Aug 6, 2008
    Julie at Arad lookout point, Arad, Israel

Favorite thing: Yes, Julie (Julie&) made it to Arad here in Israel....must ask her forgiveness for not posting these photos before, just "found" them myself in a file marked "for VT posting".....
    The first shows Julie at the Arad lookout point, which is a fine point on a clear day to see the Dead Sea and the mountain of Jordan, about 20 kilometers away.
    The second photo shows Julie helping Zohara make dinner, yes after 24 hours as a guest, you are no longer a guest, you are part of the family already and need to help...^O^
    The last shows Julie with her Shofar, a musical instrument made from a mountain goat horn that is used in Jewish ceremonies.

Instant Answers: Arad

Comments

Arad Favorites

Reviews and photos of Arad favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Arad sightseeing.