Arad Local Customs

Sunset at Arad
    by pieter_jan_v
    Breakfast at sun rise is not bad either!
    Solar water boilers on the roofs

Most Recent Local Customs in Arad

Find the Afikoman at Pessach

by Martin_S. Written Jun 2, 2005

If you have the chance to share a holiday with us here in Israel and if it is Pessach (Passover) Seder meal you may see some, what looks like very strange behaviour.....in the middle of the holiday meal you will see all the young people get up from the table and start opening cabinets, lifting rugs, pulling chairs out from the wall, turning over sofas, looking inside lamps and such...NO they have NOT gone crazy, they are looking for the Afikoman. The literal translation is "dessert", but the catch here is that by custom a piece of Matzot (the traditional unleavened bread eaten on this holiday)is hidden...and the meal cannot come to a conclusion until the piece that is hidden is FOUND !! Also it is a custom to "reward" the finder, so the kids have to find it ^O^

Pessach, searching for Afikoman
    • Festivals

Nahal Peres - by bike

by Martin_S. Written Mar 17, 2004

This is the intreped group of friends who set off with me to attempt to mountain bike a hiking trail in Nahal Peres (some of our spouses used other words to describe the group, but we won't use those words here, VT might erase the page ;O)))
    It is great looking at the picture, we are still friends today 10 years later....only a single person in the picture has disappeared from our lives....lots of good memories here.

Biking companions, Nahal Peres, Israel
    • Cycling

Celebrate election day

by Martin_S. Updated Oct 26, 2003

National Election Day is a full day off from work and we make FULL use of the day. After we vote for our candidate of choice, some of us get together to celebrate. This year Arie and Bracha invited us for a BBQ at their home. Here you can see Arie getting the "goods" ready for a good Argentinian BBQ.

Election day celebration, Arad, Israel

Jewish Wedding, getting started 2

by Martin_S. Written Oct 23, 2003

From the previous picture you saw me signing the document to prove that Liat was single and pure. Well, like most other legal documents ONE signature is not enough, so here also, you need TWO. When Zohara and I got married here in Israel, we encountered a problem.....because I was a new immigrant for less than 20 years, I had to bring physical witnesses from the United States to prove that I was single. Since I had lost all contact at that point with people in the US, it became a real problem to "provide proof" of my being single. Because of this problem we were forced to delay our wedding by a year. We finally solved the problem by asking some American friends to lie to the religious authorities and tell them "Of course we have known him for 20 years, we came to Israel together"...This is a quite common solution for new immigrants.

The second signature, Liat's wedding, Israel
    • Religious Travel

Jewish Wedding, getting started

by Martin_S. Written Oct 23, 2003

Well our friend Liat wanted to get married to her boyfriend of several years. But to do this she had to "prove" that she was single and had never been married before. To do this she had to produce two "witnesses" who have known her since childhood and could attest to the fact that she was still single and pure. In the picture you can see me signing a document in the presence of a religious leader who "authorizes" the document after we have signed. NOW she can get married.

Signing wedding document, Israel
    • Religious Travel

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Have our friend Hanni do your braids.

by Martin_S. Updated Jun 22, 2003

This has turned into a custom, whenever Hanni comes to visit, Tal convinces her to do her braids. Then afterwards complains about how much it hurts, but looks fantastic.
    I guess the "no pain no gain" line applies.
    Several people have refered to the braids as Rastot, but in truth they are not.....The true Rastot are a hair style as seen with Bob Marley for instance and is a sign usually of the religious group called Rastafarians. We encountered them in Dominica while visiting there.

Hanni braiding Tal's hair

Combine with friends

by Martin_S. Written Mar 29, 2003

This is not a proper "custom", but I believe it is truly worth putting on my Arad page. Virginia, and I were talking about Zohara's upcoming birthday and when I saw this painting on Virginia's VT page, asked her how much it cost and if she could arrange to send it to Zohara for her birthday. She said NO I CANNOT, but that she would split the cost with me so that the present would be from both Virginia and I. Virginia, you are the greatest, your generoisity proves my belief that there are fantastic people everywhere, just open your eyes and heart and you will find them.

Zohara with birthday gift from Virginia and Martin

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Warm water

by pieter_jan_v Written Nov 23, 2012

What struck me that each appartment has its own solar powered warm water boiler on the roof of the appartment buildings. It's a parade of white barrels.

Solar water boilers on the roofs
    • Work Abroad

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Biometric LisAir "BobbyLand" pass, get one !!!

by Martin_S. Written Jun 28, 2004

Yes, my pass to fly on LisAir within the Bobbyland confederation of countries.
    Thanks Lisa for "checking me out" ^O^

LisAir pass for Bobbyland

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Have friends like Andrea (Warhol)

by Martin_S. Written Jun 28, 2004

This is not a local custom, but a friends international custom.
    Thanks Andrea for the colorful portrait, I think of our friendship each time I see it.

Martin and Tal by Andrea (Warhol) ^O^

Loaning of Hair

by Martin_S. Written Jun 22, 2003

Here in Arad it seems we have a few people with few hairs. When these friends are in need they can always get a loan from me.

The Loan of Some Hair

Instant Answers: Arad

Comments

Arad Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Arad local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Arad sightseeing.