Arad Local Customs

Sunset at Arad
    by pieter_jan_v
    Breakfast at sun rise is not bad either!
    by pieter_jan_v
    Solar water boilers on the roofs

Best Rated Local Customs in Arad

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Shavuot, or the Feast of Weeks

by marielexoteria Written May 26, 2010

- Shalom, shalom.
    - Shalom, hag sameach (happy holidays).

That's how the Shavuot holiday started for me at the Sampson house. I was the only non-Jewish and non-Hebrew speaker of the bunch, but I still had a good time.

Shavuot, like the Sabbath, lasts from sundown day 1 to sundown day 2 and commemorates the anniversary of the day when the Israeli people got the Torah (their sacred book) on Mount Sinai and it's usually either in late May or early June. On a Metro newspaper small note, I read that this holiday was previously linked to the harvest of wheat, with a picture of men and young boys harvesting some wheat in preparation for the festivities.

On this holiday, pretty much everything closes down and families get together to have dinner featuring cheese in a lot of ways: pies, pizza, breads, a cheese platter... At the Sampson house we had delicacies like some cheese croissants and salty pastries, I believe a cheese pie, a (to me) luxury version of macaroni and cheese and a delicious mash of cheese and broccoli with soft drinks and Israeli wine.

Note: this holiday is celebrated all over Israel but because I experienced it in Arad, I put it here.

Borekus and pastidah (thanks Martin) The Shavuot dinner, photo by Martin_S

Celebrate election day

by Martin_S. Updated Oct 26, 2003

National Election Day is a full day off from work and we make FULL use of the day. After we vote for our candidate of choice, some of us get together to celebrate. This year Arie and Bracha invited us for a BBQ at their home. Here you can see Arie getting the "goods" ready for a good Argentinian BBQ.

Election day celebration, Arad, Israel

Jewish Wedding, getting started

by Martin_S. Written Oct 23, 2003

Well our friend Liat wanted to get married to her boyfriend of several years. But to do this she had to "prove" that she was single and had never been married before. To do this she had to produce two "witnesses" who have known her since childhood and could attest to the fact that she was still single and pure. In the picture you can see me signing a document in the presence of a religious leader who "authorizes" the document after we have signed. NOW she can get married.

Signing wedding document, Israel
    • Religious Travel

Jewish Wedding, getting started 2

by Martin_S. Written Oct 23, 2003

From the previous picture you saw me signing the document to prove that Liat was single and pure. Well, like most other legal documents ONE signature is not enough, so here also, you need TWO. When Zohara and I got married here in Israel, we encountered a problem.....because I was a new immigrant for less than 20 years, I had to bring physical witnesses from the United States to prove that I was single. Since I had lost all contact at that point with people in the US, it became a real problem to "provide proof" of my being single. Because of this problem we were forced to delay our wedding by a year. We finally solved the problem by asking some American friends to lie to the religious authorities and tell them "Of course we have known him for 20 years, we came to Israel together"...This is a quite common solution for new immigrants.

The second signature, Liat's wedding, Israel
    • Religious Travel

Nahal Peres - by bike

by Martin_S. Written Mar 17, 2004

This is the intreped group of friends who set off with me to attempt to mountain bike a hiking trail in Nahal Peres (some of our spouses used other words to describe the group, but we won't use those words here, VT might erase the page ;O)))
    It is great looking at the picture, we are still friends today 10 years later....only a single person in the picture has disappeared from our lives....lots of good memories here.

Biking companions, Nahal Peres, Israel
    • Cycling

Combine with friends

by Martin_S. Written Mar 29, 2003

This is not a proper "custom", but I believe it is truly worth putting on my Arad page. Virginia, and I were talking about Zohara's upcoming birthday and when I saw this painting on Virginia's VT page, asked her how much it cost and if she could arrange to send it to Zohara for her birthday. She said NO I CANNOT, but that she would split the cost with me so that the present would be from both Virginia and I. Virginia, you are the greatest, your generoisity proves my belief that there are fantastic people everywhere, just open your eyes and heart and you will find them.

Zohara with birthday gift from Virginia and Martin

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Have our friend Hanni do your braids.

by Martin_S. Updated Jun 22, 2003

This has turned into a custom, whenever Hanni comes to visit, Tal convinces her to do her braids. Then afterwards complains about how much it hurts, but looks fantastic.
    I guess the "no pain no gain" line applies.
    Several people have refered to the braids as Rastot, but in truth they are not.....The true Rastot are a hair style as seen with Bob Marley for instance and is a sign usually of the religious group called Rastafarians. We encountered them in Dominica while visiting there.

Hanni braiding Tal's hair

Find the Afikoman at Pessach

by Martin_S. Written Jun 2, 2005

If you have the chance to share a holiday with us here in Israel and if it is Pessach (Passover) Seder meal you may see some, what looks like very strange behaviour.....in the middle of the holiday meal you will see all the young people get up from the table and start opening cabinets, lifting rugs, pulling chairs out from the wall, turning over sofas, looking inside lamps and such...NO they have NOT gone crazy, they are looking for the Afikoman. The literal translation is "dessert", but the catch here is that by custom a piece of Matzot (the traditional unleavened bread eaten on this holiday)is hidden...and the meal cannot come to a conclusion until the piece that is hidden is FOUND !! Also it is a custom to "reward" the finder, so the kids have to find it ^O^

Pessach, searching for Afikoman

Gabrielle, Martin and friend 4-2005

by Martin_S. Updated Sep 13, 2013

Gabrielle is an old friend from Germany who came to live in Israel and on the other side is our new friend who came to live and study in Israel (sorry I have had to remove the picture at the request of our friend, she is being forced by her government to remove any signs of her visiting Israel). We are not only VT friends, but friends on all counts. Friends become a true part of our extended family.

• Study Abroad

Purim 2008 (3)

by Martin_S. Updated Sep 23, 2013

Everything from Zorro to Pochahontas, the merry widow, Flintstones, popeye, the mad moroccan, Minnie Mouse and even the little girl in pigtails, everyone loves getting into the act...maybe we will begin voting for best costume, what do you think ^O^
    (sorry I have had to remove a picture at the request of our friend)

Nissim and Ziv Ludwig and Tzipi Famous VTer Nathalie

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Photos have been deleted as per special request

by Martin_S. Updated Aug 7, 2013

Yes Channuka this year was a very international affair here in our household, at the table you can see (from left front...) Ildi & Yossef (Hungary), David & Michele (USA), Zohara (Israel), a friend whose name I am not allowed to mention (Turkey), Tal (Israel/USA), Marcella (Chile/Israel), Illana (France/Israel) and of course you local home photographer ME (USA/Israel).
    The second picture shows the group reaction when we told them what they were doing in this dance...Zohara in her Kindergarten typically has the children raise their hands in this way to symbolize the burnin candles lit on Channuka...but today they were also told that this is a symbol for a group that provides "roofs" (or homes) for mentally retarded children....
    The third picture shows everyone learning a classical Israeli dance, the HORA.
    The fourth picture shows everyone posing naturally for my photo !!!
    The last picture shows Tal lighting the traditional candle, on this particular day it was the fifth day of Channuka, a holiday that lasts 8 days.

Channuka 2004, Arad, Israel

David & Michele (jadedmuse) in Arad

by Martin_S. Updated Aug 7, 2013

Michele (jadedmuse) and David arrived at a very good time, at Channuka, a season which we enjoy celebrating with family and friends. As you can see in the first picture, David and Michele both know the secret VT sign.
    The brought some presents for Tal, which helped them to break the ice with our shy daughter very quickly.
    We took them to visit Masada with another friend who came along to help me explain about this ancient site.
    We also visited Ein Avdat, an oasis in the desert that I always love, no matter what time of year, this small trickle of water creates a green wonderland along the small rivebed. At quiet times you can see dozen of desert Ibex.

David making VT secret sign, Arad, Israel Michele and David with Tal, Arad, Israel David descending into cistern, Masada, Israel Ein Avdat Nature Preserve, Israel
    • Archeology
    • Desert
    • Hiking and Walking

Purim 2008 (1)

by Martin_S. Written May 5, 2008

Purim is the best and funniest holiday of the year, it gives the grownups a chance to let their hair down, or put it up as the costume needs ^O^...this year we decided that the "theme" would be cartoon characters...first you need to decorate and get your dance music ready, but then you are ready to PARTY, friends, food, music, drink and games.

Andie of VT fame Arie and Andrea Arie and Bracha Giora and Berta

Purim 2008 (2)

by Martin_S. Written May 5, 2008

People will do anything to attract attention it seems, but can you imagine having a policeman stop you and you are dressed up like this ^O^ It did happen to our friend Ludwig last year when he was dressed up as a hospital patient who had undergone major "repair", he was totally covered in bandages and even had a "bag" for "liquids" ^O^

Edi and Miri The Flintstones (aka Tal, Zohara and Martin The Phillip and Ira

Tattooing

by Martin_S. Updated Oct 23, 2007

I guess it is written in stone that kids will grow up and become independent, just the way of things. But it is also always a new thing for a parent to realize that their little kid is becoming an adult. Just one proof for me was when our daughter Tal got her first tattoo. She has been asking for one since about age 13 but always told her "When you turn 18"......that time arrived all too quickly. Her she is at age 18 getting her first tattoo as our birthday present to her (it was a surprise by the way).

Tal with tattoo artist and finished Application of tattoo outline First outline done in ink Tal's first look in mirror at finished tattoo

Instant Answers: Arad

Comments

Arad Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Arad local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Arad sightseeing.