Sedom Sports & Outdoors

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Riding by moonlight

by Martin_S. Written Dec 24, 2006
    Moonlight ride, the start, Nahal Pratziem, Israel

This is how it started, the moonlight rides at the Dead Sea...one day in the summer of 1993, we were trying to figure out how to do a ride early in the morning, but they were all too long and would drag out into the super hot heat of the summer desert. We had just about given up on finding a route when Berta, my friend Giora's wife said, "why don't you ride at night"...we rode by the light of the full moon and it was great. We tried to interest other friends of ours, but they all said "you must be crazy". So we rode off into the moonlight with only 7 riders. After we returned, we spoke with friends and told them how great it had been. The next ride had more than 60 riders, many whom we did not know, they just showed up saying "Yossi (or Moshe or Dan or Schmuel) said to ask for Martin, who is he???" We had to split the group up into 6 teams so as not to crowd the narrow canyons. Since that time the amount of people riding at night has grown to include guided tours that come from all parts of Israel in tour buses, it is great to see how a good idea has grown. Thanks Berta.

• Desert
    • Cycling

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Dead Sea Mountain Bike Race, the beginnings

by Martin_S. Written Dec 24, 2006
    Dead Sea Mountain Bike Race, Israel

Way back in 1994 after many friends and I had rode the paths above the Dead Sea in the area of Sdom Mountain, I was asked to help route out a course for a race to be held in the mountains of Sdom. The route went through Nahal Praztiem and Nahal Sdom. The first picture shows the first race in 1994 with about 25-30 racers in ALL CATAGORIES (today there are more than 1,000 racers)...and since I knew the route so well after having ridden it many times at night, I knew JUST WHERE to wait with my camera as you can see in the last three pictures here. Just at this point, after you com out of a curve, there was a small drop of about 40 centimeters into soft silt which would grab your wheel and over you go......I knew from personal experience on our night rides by moonlight that this point was very difficult to detect even when you were close. It was funny that when all of these crash victims picked themselves up off the ground their first words were almost identical...."Did you take my picture??"

• Cycling

Instant Answers: Sedom

Comments

Sedom Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Sedom sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sedom sightseeing.