Related Jordan Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Jordan

• antistar's Profile Photo

No tourists!

by antistar Updated Mar 6, 2014

Favorite thing: It's a shame for the locals, and a shame for everyone who is missing out on this fantastic country, but an absolute boon for anyone deciding to visit Jordan at this time. I travelled in winter, which is outside the main tourist season, and the weather was beautiful. Sunny every day, and about 15 degrees centigrade. And no tourists!

Well a few, but apart from the odd single tour bus turning up, probably on a day trip from Israel, you could guarantee to have some of the most amazing sights in the world all to yourself for hours at a time. I sat on the Temple of Zeus in Jerash, one of the biggest and most awesome Roman cities in the world, and looked out over the entire town. And saw nobody. Not a soul.

In Petra I stood in the Siq, the main entrance to the site, and could have heard a pin drop. It was so quiet I could hear the blood rushing in my ears. This is a wonder of the world, a place so amazing that if you transplanted it to Europe it would be packed like sardines with gawking tourists every day of the year. And yet several times I found myself alone there, surrounded by nothing but unbelievable views and incredible silence.

Just go! Now!

• solopes's Profile Photo

Aqaba

by solopes Updated Feb 6, 2013

Favorite thing: Being at Aqaba, where four countries share a finger of sea, it’s a strange sensation. You are in a Muslim country, watching the skyscrapers of Israel, with Egypt in the background, and Saudi Arabia, at your left, and you understand the miracle of coexistence that the world must achieve to share its resources with so many cultures, religions, nationalities, and all the diversities that make the richness of mankind.

I arrived in Aqaba the day where some missiles where fired against the American army, but only a small agitation was noticed. Efficient police control captured the terrorists, and visitors were not disturbed.

The beach is not remarkable, and the reefs, a few kilometres away, seem strongly menaced by the pollution of such an intensive used of a narrow stripe of sea.
    So, if you are after the famous Red Sea fishes, you better try somewhere else (Sharm-el-Sheik, of course, as number one). But if you only search for a quiet stay, a warm sea, and the contact with a friendly and different people, then a few days at Aqaba will satisfy you.
    And, of course, you have Petra and Wadi Rum only at a few hours distance. It is possible also to visit Israel. But... what for, we asked?

• Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

about mount nebo

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 29, 2012

Favorite thing: Mount Nebo is a hill near Madaba overlooking Palestine and Jericho in particular. It's where - biblically speaking, Moses was taken after the exodus and shown the Promised Land before dying. I'm not religious but I enjoyed visiting the little church there and the precious mosaics

Fondest memory: meeting father michael, a friendly franciscan friar from Poland, who just happened to have worked in the parish of my ex-boyfriend. When you say the world is small....

• Stopover tours and the cost

by 2Bibbie Written Nov 22, 2010

Favorite thing: Your cruise will have a 'shore tour' option and a Tour Director to organise these sorts of things. Whichever travel company the Cruise line subcontracts these tours with is guaranteed to get you back to the ship before departure. Contact your Cruise Company and the Tour Director and get a price. Then come back here for a comparison and advice if it is cheaper to do it independently. I might add, you could have prebooked this when you paid for your cruise and the whole lot gets rolled into the single cost of your cruise. Your travel agent that you booked your cruise with should have advised you of this. Did you use a human being or did you organise this yourself without any communication or questions with the Cruise Company?

Aqaba

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Oct 31, 2010

Favorite thing: Aqaba is a coastal town in the far south of Jordan. Aqaba is strategically important to Jordan as it is the country's only seaport. The city borders Eilat, Israel, and there is a border post where it is possible to cross between the two countries. Both Aqaba and Eilat are at the head of the Gulf of Aqaba.

You can watch my 7 min 03 sec HD Video Jordan Road along Aqaba 2 out of my Youtube channel.

You can watch my high resolution photo of Petra on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 29° 31' 36.04" N 35° 0' 5.85" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Aqaba Promenade.

Petra

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Oct 31, 2010

Favorite thing: Petra is a historic and archaeological city famous with its rock cut architecture. It dates back to the 6th century BC as the capital city of the Nabataeans. Now it is a symbol of Jordan as well as its most visited tourism attraction.

It lies on the slope of Mount Hor in a basin among the mountains which form the eastern flank of Arabah (Wadi Araba), the large valley running from the Dead Sea to the Gulf of Aqaba.

Petra is an UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1985.

The site remained unknown to the Western world until 1812, when it was introduced by Swiss explorer Johann Ludwig Burckhardt.

Petra was chosen by the BBC as one of "the 40 places you have to see before you die".

You can watch my high resolution photo of Petra on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 30° 18' 44.22" N 35° 27' 56.10" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Petra landscape 1.

Wadi Rum

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Oct 31, 2010

Favorite thing: Wadi Rum is another well-known tourist attraction on the south of Jordan. It is also known as the Valley of the Moon. It is a valley cut into the sandstone and granite at 60 km to the east of Aqaba. It is the largest wadi in Jordan.
    The area is now also one of Jordan's important tourist destinations, and attracts an increasing number of foreign tourists, particularly trekkers and climbers, but also for camel and horse safari or simply 'day-trippers' from Aqaba or Petra.
    We didn’t visit Wadi Rum because of lack of time but its Rock formations were well seen out of a bus window. May be next time…

You can watch my high resolution photo of Petra on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 29° 44' 51.67" N 35° 17' 22.05" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Wadi Rum.

Wadi Musa

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Oct 31, 2010

Favorite thing: Wadi Musa is the name of a town which is the nearest town to the archaeological site of Petra and hosts many hotels and restaurants for tourists visiting this place.

You can watch my 5 min 39 sec HD Video Jordan Petra part 7 out of my Youtube channel.

You can watch my high resolution photo of Petra on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 30° 19' 7.26" N 35° 28' 53.92" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Wadi Musa.

• ChoBeowulf's Profile Photo

Travel around Jordan

by ChoBeowulf Written Aug 4, 2010

Favorite thing: The friendliness and hospitality of most Jordans is absolutely stunning! We met wonderful people, had interesting chats and were invited to tea, dinner and to stay with their families. In every store you were offered food to try before you buy and everyone was smiling and made you feel welcome.
    On the other hand you have just as many people who want to rip you off. Taxi drivers and hotels are to be handled carefully. Make sure to get a fixed price before you do anything! Careful about any surcharges and extras and service fees and taxes. 50 JD quickly turn in to 60 or 70 JD !!!

• Castles and Palaces
    • Archeology

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

How to connect with people in Jordan

by dutchboycalledjan Written Jun 3, 2010

Favorite thing: Hi Jeff,

We've been to Jordan twice now. The last time we stayed a few days in Madaba, which is near the airport. Very friendly people everywhere, some nice restaurants.

We hired a car with Reliable Cars (see my transportation tip) - and they were, very reliable - give Shuhruf my regards: he drove from Amman to the Death Sea with the spare key and didn't even want a tip.

In the North we visited Jerash and the small town with the castle Ajun. It is lovely there: very green and fertile - I think this should have been the promised land - and impressive views. I did had a telephone number of a guide who invited us to his home; if you're interested i can see if i can recover it.

We also drove to Petra using the Kings Highway - one nice canyon - and passed Karak, a very nice town. Also, on Friday, a lot of people go to the border of the Death Sea, where some (sweet water) rivers flow into it. I've been told that hiking some of these river made canyons is also a great experience, but you have to arrange it in advance.

The trick that really worked was this: our 18 year old son had bought (red) Bedouin scrafs in a local shop in Madaba and everywhere we came local people instructed us differently how to fold it. They seemed very pleased we took the trouble to wear one. It also keeps out the sun :-).

We're sure going to visit it again. Have a good time.

• TheAndos's Profile Photo

Tours in Jordan

by TheAndos Written Apr 25, 2010

Favorite thing: Couldn't find a group tour so we contacted Jordan Direct www.jdtours.com, Ola was our contact.

Nothing was too much trouble. Hotels in Petra were very busy due to Easter and we had to make an online booking to get beds but Ola followed up with the hotel on our behalf.

We were met at Amman airport by the JD representative and met our driver, Fadi, and his very comfortable Mercedes car. Fadi was our advisor, escort and friend for the next 6 days.

Fondest memory: You think Petra is going to be the highlight because it is well publicised but I have to say Wadi Rum is spectacular.

Jordan is a small country but so diverse. The limestone hills of Amman and the north are agricultural. The hills to the east of the Dead Sea are dramatic and the castles spectacular. The Dessert Highway is ..... nothing. Wadi Rum is red and amazing. Aqaba is palm trees and sea. The Dead Sea is different and the sun sets over Palestine spectaular.

And visit Little Petra - so peaceful after its more famous sister!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

A good book to read before you go to Jordan.

by cachaseiro Written Oct 22, 2009

Favorite thing: "married to a bedouin" is the truew account of a young girl from new zealand who came to Jordan as backpacker and ended up marrying a local bedouin and never left the place.
    Margeurite Van Geldermalsen as her name is even spend several years living in a cave with her husband as that was the way many bedouins lived back then when she arrived.
    Marguerite still lives in Petra and you might see her there selling her book and her jewelery from her store inside Petra.
    If you see her then go and have a chat with her as she is a lovely woman.

• wiaam's Profile Photo

Get a local friend

by wiaam Written May 2, 2009

Favorite thing: Hello,

I am a Jordanian living in Jordan, and I think one of the most important things to do before visiting Jordan is to have a couple of local phone numbers in your mobile phone.

From my personal experience, I noticed that tourists usually get fooled and tricked with a lot of things, money, goods and a lot of other cases. Taxi drivers for example will ask for more than the usual rate for the ride and so on; this wouldn’t happen though if the tourist was prepared.

A lot of people here would love to help others in this area and I am one of them, I suggest that before you make a trip to Jordan, get online and find some Jordanian people and try to learn from them as much as possible, and trust me they won’t hesitate in helping you, you can obtain their phone numbers and keep them as a backup plan in your mobile phone, I know that this might seem weird to some westerners, like why would these strangers offer their free help and they don’t even know me, well that’s the thing about us, we are magnanimous ;)

Have a safe trip and hope you enjoy Jordan as much as we do. Salam (means peace in Arabic)

• Women's Travel
    • Religious Travel

• Shobaki's Profile Photo

Jordan Visa and booking trip

by Shobaki Written Apr 29, 2009

Favorite thing: If u I want to go to Jordan. and want an agency to take care of ur visa and book my travel to Jordan. ?
    i think you can do that with your local agency..
    or u can visit Jordanian emmbessy in your place.

• Shobaki's Profile Photo

tour in Jordan tips

by Shobaki Written Apr 29, 2009

Favorite thing: hello ...

there is some Qustion and answer about travilling in Jordan ..
    hope will be good 4 u..

2)the same day i come from jeruselum it will be sometime in the afternoon is it possible to get a taxi to take us to aqaba (one way)? and how much would it cost? where would i get the taxi?

From Amman to Aqaba u need 4-5 hours , pluse 1 houres (or less) from border to Amman ..
    its mean u will be in aqaba at night.

3) is it easy to get a taxi from aqaba to take you to wadi rum and petra?
    when i was in Aqaba , i saw many local travel agncy make tour in Wadi Rum and petra, or u can make deal with any taxi driver to take u there...

4) i am going in june would it be ok to tell the taxi to take you to the visitor center in wadi rum and take one of their tours?and how much would the tours cost around? also do they have air conditiond cars taking you around wadi rum?

in June the temp. still not very hot...
    i think tour will be in the morning, evning , and at night..
    when i was there I had taken open-back Jeep.. i dont need an air conditions..

6) also is it easy to get a taxi from petra to the dead sea (one way)? and how much would it be?

i would prefer to visit Dead see when u come from the king hussain border..
    bcz it is in dead see...

7) from my dead sea hotel i would be checking out at 12 in the afternoon and my flight is at 5:15pm is that enough time to reach the airport? and how much would it be?

yes .. its more than enought, u just need not more than 1 houre

8) also how much is it to get a taxi from amman to take you to see the roman city in jeresh?

by bus not more 2JD (Jordan Dinners).. i think taxi will not take more than what it coast , bcz they use the counters per KM, so i think its not more than 25 JD

you are wilcome to Jordan any time ..

Jordan Hotels

1 Review - 4 Photos
Husayn al `Ali al Falah Hotels
Dhiban Hotels

Instant Answers: Jordan

Comments

Jordan Favorites

Reviews and photos of Jordan favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jordan sightseeing.
Map of Jordan