Madaba Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Madaba

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Nebo's Pearl: Popular Souvenir and Mosaic's Shop

by machomikemd Written Aug 17, 2013

Nebo's Pearl is a large Handicraft cum Mosaic cum Souvenir Shop located along the Mount Nebo Road about a 2 minute drive to Mount Nebo Church and 5 minute drive to downtown Madaba. Inside this large complex are areas devoted to mosaics making, a large showroom of olive wood and other wood products like crucifixes, rosaries, saints, jordanian carvings; Dead Sea Products section, souvenir sections (like fridge magnets, shot glasses, mugs, cups, keychains), mosaic products like tables or chairs or wall arts; carpets, vases and a lot more.

opens: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm everyday

according to their website:

nebo s pearl world handicrafts and traditional mont nebo madaba amman jordan work shop mosaic work shop jewerly

Mission
    Pearl Nebo world handicrafts and traditional industries
    Pearl Nebo large bazaar in the Middle East
    Pearl Nebo company specializes in all industries and traditional crafts
    Concerns of the mosaic
    Larger panel panorama in the world
    Pearl also specializes in Nebo Dead Sea products
    Madaba, Mount Nebo Road Amman Jordan

What to buy: mosaics galore like mosaic tables or chairs, mosaic eggs, dead sea products by dolmen and rivage, tons of souvenir items

What to pay: olive wood crucifixes at JD 80 (US $ 115), fridge magnets at JD 4 (US $ 5.70), shot glasses at JD 5 ( US $ 7), Small mosaic paper weights at JD 100 (US $ 142) and more.

haggling is allowed!

• Archeology

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

Several: Shopping in Madaba

by PierreZA Written Jul 17, 2009

Shopping in Madaba

Madaba is a very good place to buy authentic Jordanian handicrafts. Madaba is well known or its carpets and rugs, as well as mosaics.

There are many shops around the Church of the Map, so take you time and compare prices before you buy anything.

What to buy: Mosaics
    Rugs
    Ceramics

What to pay: Haggle

• Madaba handicraft Center: Excellent Handicraft Center in Madaba

by dominosf Written Dec 27, 2008

The shop includes a workshop for mosaics as well as a retail outlet with a large selection of locally made crafts from Jordan including Jewelry, rugs, hadn-painted ostrich eggs, traditional clothing and ceramic tables and smaller items. The employees are very hospitable and careful to ensure that the customer feels well taken care of without feeling overly pressured.

What to buy: Mosaic tables, hand-painted Ostrich Eggs, jewelry and rugs

What to pay: Wide ranging -

• Religious Travel

• om_212's Profile Photo

Carpet City: Weaving tradations

by om_212 Updated Jul 3, 2008

sun-bathing carpets

there are several rugs shops in Madaba. besides almost every regular souvenir shop will carry a small selection of locally (Bedouin) or made in Egypt carpets.

the rugs are beautiful. the locally woven ones, made usually by the Bedouin women are woven on a horizontal ground loom and dyed with the home made dyes. These tend to be simple in design, narrow, or made in strips, which are held together horizontally. the locally made carpets are pretty cheap. the smallest one (size of a double door mat) will start from 15 JD and up.

made in Egypt carpets, which are based on traditional Jordanian designs, are much more expensive and start from 50 JD.

merchants very often showcase their carpets on the side of the street, which helps not only to attract the customers, also enhances the natural colors used in rugs.

• om_212's Profile Photo

Sawalha Oriental Folklore: Jordanian Crafts and Hospitality at Best

by om_212 Updated Jul 3, 2008

Yussef Sawalha, the shop owner

This place looked similar to many other souvenirs shops scattered around the St. George Church. What made it stand out was the exceptional hospitality and calm-radiant personality of its owner, Yussef Sawalha. And if you didn’t enter, you would never know what you have missed.

I entered there to buy a Shemagh scarf for my dad. And instead of giving me a standard “5JD” answer (which is an average charge for such a scarf for anyone who looks like a tourist), he asked me what kind of quality do I need, and showed me all options he had – from the cheapest for 2JD to the finest quality for 6JD. I chose one in the middle range. I wanted to try the scarf on (which I thought would be fun for the sake of picture), but he instead offered me to try a beautiful embroidered Bedouin women dress saying: “I want this to be one of your fondest memories of Jordan.” He gave me a beautiful black linen dress with red and green embroidery (to match my eyes) and helped me with a three-layer face niqab (a tricky, and time-consuming effort). And for couple minutes I could experience how it feels (dress-wise) to be a very religious Arabic woman: it is hot and you can’t see much. But it was really a very special experience.

Then, in a while, after browsing though other shops looking for a carpet, I came back to look at his carpets. And again, he asked me: what quality of carpets I want: made in Madaba (which looked rough, Bedouin style) or ones made in Egypt (finer wool, softer look). His prices were two-folds less than for the same staff in the Carpet City (a shop around a corner). and when I asked him why, he answered: “when I started my business, I simply decided to be fair.”

When I was leaving the shop, he gave me a little ceramic coaster as a present, which fell off and broke (for good luck :) when my friends were taking a look on the carpet I have bought. Well, he crossed the street and gave me another one. This indeed turned to be one of the fondest memories from my trip to Jordan, which I will remember and treasure about this particular day in Madaba. I have just one regret: I wish I have bought that dress ;)

What to buy: embroidered dresses; scarfs; carpets; cushion covers; ceramics

What to pay: the price will depend on what you buy; but be assured - you will get the fairest price

Instant Answers: Madaba

Comments

Madaba Shopping

Reviews and photos of Madaba shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Madaba sightseeing.