Madaba Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Madaba

• madaba handicraft center

by alfonsomartin Written Mar 14, 2014

i was in Madaba with my family in December and january over Xmast period. Our guide took us to the Madaba Handicraft center where we met several people and they explain us the good work they do. We bought a beautiful table and ask them to be delivery to our home in HK. the point is that the table arrived after 2 months PERFECTLY. it was the same table we bought and it is in a PERFECT condition. Honestly, I have read several people given bad comments so I want to make sure that people like me that have a great experience also share our views. I do recommend 150% to visit them and buy since it is for a good cause They do help people with the money they make selling these beautiful mosaics...I will be go back and buy more form them! alfonso Martin

• bait and switch number two

by joanrichards1234 Written Jan 12, 2012

I was in Madaba in october and I spent a significant amoutn on four items. My package arrived around Christmas and it is not what I ordered, not the quality. I have asked them to fix it or return my money and I will countact the tour guide and the tour group to warn them. If they fix it I will certainly post a good review.

• madaba handicraft center

by aldaoudemad Written Jul 4, 2010

I would like to tell our friends how can a big gift shop do that when they have over 6 m USD of inventory i just cant believe such stories just to inform you that we ship out of Jordan from our shop over 2 m usd yearly we never had a problem at all but some they would like to take a free raid and that is uncalled for

by Gaylaa Written Oct 31, 2007

The MADABA HANDICRAFT CENTER is a huge souvenir shop near Madaba on the road to Mt. Nebo. They demonstrate how mosaics are made, have an enormous variety of mosaics and souvenirs and a large staff which is overly-attentive. They are, unfortunately, mentioned in the book "Jordan Jubilee".

I purchased an expensive (350 JD) hand-painted ostrich egg in this shop on Oct. 14, 2007. They packaged the egg and taped the box while I was paying for it. When I opened the box a week later, I discovered that they had switched the egg I paid for, for a less-expensive egg. I contacted the manager of the shop and he offered to exchange the egg if I returned it - of course, I had already left Jordan, which, I'm sure is exactly what he had counted on - or sell me the egg I had already purchased for "half price". He also didn't seem the least bit shocked about the "bait & switch" with the egg and never apologized. He acted as though this was a regular part of their business practice.

I did some investigation and discovered that I am not the first victim of this shop's "bait & switch" practice. Another couple purchased a mosaic table for more than $2,000 and when it was delivered, they discovered that the table shipped to them was not the one they paid for, but a less expensive one. They had difficulty getting their money back and incurred additional expenses just trying to return the table. Please see their letter at:

PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THIS SHOP! I am reporting them to the Board of Tourism and Madaba Chamber of Commerce because they are committing fraud on tourists. If you are going on a tour, please notify your tour agent of the Madaba Handicraft Center's practice of fraud. Also, please warn anyone who might be traveling to Madaba or Mt. Nebo not to go to this shop.

I would like to add that we met many wonderful people on our trip to Jordan. The kindness and generosity of those people more than makes up for the dishonesty of this one merchant.

• Religious Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• antistar's Profile Photo

A very safe place.

by antistar Written Jan 7, 2007

Jordan is a very safe country, and Madaba is one of the most relaxed, tolerant and safe cities in Jordan. There are no beggars, no touts, and no hassle of any kind. The only real problem I experienced was that I stood out clearly as a stranger. A few people, mostly children, were genuinely shocked to see me. The usual reaction was to stop and stare or shout "hello!" with a big smile, or the same in Arabic, "salam aleikoum!"

Unfortunately for my initial impressions of Jordan and the city of Madaba, the first thing said to me after I left the hotel was "*** you", but it proved to be the only bad thing said to me in my entire week there, and I don't think I've heard the words "welcome" and "you're welcome" as often in my entire life as my trip to Jordan. People all over are very friendly, and guests are treated with great respect. The country is right next to Palestine, however, and has many Palestinian refugees in the country, so there might be some resentment of Westerners, but it is rarely shown.

Instant Answers: Madaba

• Sep 1, 2015 at 10:19 PM

I wish I had read about the Center before visiting it.. They are over priced for sure.. I bought Rivage products from them and later found the same products at the Amman Airport at much lower price.. Cheaters, out to fleece tourists.. Shame on them and on tourist guides and drivers who take you there for their share in the loot..

• leics's Profile Photo
      Sep 2, 2015 at 3:06 AM

I'm afraid that sort of thing is commonplace all over the world. 'Caveat emptor' ...let the buyer beware.

Madaba Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Madaba warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Madaba sightseeing.