Unique Places in Petra

having a drink
    side view

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Petra

• diageva's Profile Photo

What our Taxi driver recomend us...

by diageva Written Jul 20, 2004

He wrote us a list of things to do:
    1. Go to Petra by Kingsway
    2. Visit Petra
    3. Visit Little Petra
    4. Go to Wadi Rum (sit an see the sunset)
    5. Go to the Dead Sea in Jordan Valey
    6. City tour + um qais + jarsh + ajtoun

His name was Ahmad, and ... here you have his phone ... he was a nice man also

Petra

Wadi Rum

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Oct 6, 2010

Wadi Rum is another well-known tourist attraction on the south of Jordan. It is also known as the Valley of the Moon. It is a valley cut into the sandstone and granite at 60 km to the east of Aqaba. It is the largest wadi in Jordan.
    The area is now also one of Jordan's important tourist destinations, and attracts an increasing number of foreign tourists, particularly trekkers and climbers, but also for camel and horse safari or simply 'day-trippers' from Aqaba or Petra.

We didn’t visit Wadi Rum because of lack of time but its Rock formations were well seen out of a bus window. May be next time…

You can watch my high resolution photo of Petra on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 29° 44' 51.67" N 35° 17' 22.05" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Wadi Rum.

Wadi Rum - Rock formations

King’s Highway

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Oct 6, 2010

King’s Highway is a most ancient route in Jordan. The King's Highway winds its way from Amman to Aqaba via Petra. First mentioned by name in the Bible, the King's Highway was the route that Moses wished to follow as he led his people north through the land of Edom, which is in southern Jordan.
    Lining both sides of this 335 kilometer thoroughfare is a rich chain of archaeological sites. We droved 135 out of its way and
    From Petra the King's Highway descends gradually past Wadi Rum and its moonscape-like natural wonders, before reaching the warm resort of Aqaba.

You can watch my high resolution photo of Petra on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 30° 2' 44.01" N 35° 27' 1.23" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio King's Highway.

King���s Highway

King’s Way Rest House and Bazaar

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Oct 6, 2010

While travelling along the King’s Highway you’ll be able to make a stop in King’s Way Rest House and Bazaar. Nothing particular, but wonderful landscapes, shopping and a chance to drink a cup of Jordan coffee. We stopped there twice on our way to and back Petra.

You can watch my 4 min 33 sec HD Video Jordan Petra part 8 out of my Youtube channel.

You can watch my high resolution photo of Petra on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 30° 2' 43.86" N 35° 27' 1.33" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio King’s Way Rest House and Bazaar.

King���s Way Rest House and Bazaar

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

colours in the rocks

by angiebabe Written Jun 5, 2009

I had no idea - I was amazed actually - that not only was it the Treasury and all the other carved out of rock with all the decorations and trimmings 'buildings' and mausoleums that I had seen a pictures of and therefore expected - but that the rock that whatever was to be seen that made Petra such a famed and prestigious off the beaten track must see and Unesco was itself so amazing to see!

The colours to behold! Amazing colours streaking through the rocks along the pathways we walked, in under rocky overhangs, or peering into the rooms cut into the rocks marvelling at the patterns and colours to be seen on the ceilings and walls inside.

Vivid reds and bluey purples, blacks and white, and even pastelly yellows and oranges and pinks.....beautiful really!

• Djinn76's Profile Photo

Local flower!

by Djinn76 Written Jan 3, 2005

Yes, even in Petra you can find some really nice flower.
    I'm still wondering what this one could be. It looks like a crocus to me. If anyone can provide more information feel free to send me an email...

To find such a marvel amongst the rocks, you will really have to go off the beaten path!! To some places where even the donkey don't go!

When walking to high place, I've read from another page I had to turn right at some points while climbing the stairs. I didn't do it and somehow got lost in the middle of the mountains! Too bad but at least that's how I manage to find such a marvel ;-)

• Eco-Tourism

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Films and Video

by Gili_S Updated Jan 2, 2011

Petra have been the location for many movies, most famous is in the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade movie. However, one of my favourite music clips is the one by the Leeds band The Sisters of Mercy with their Dominion video clip from the late 80's which was filmed here in Petra. It is a great one :)
    Check my link attached here.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo

Electric Rock!

by freya_heaven Updated Nov 11, 2004

We had quite an amusing experience whilst walking up to the high Place of Sacrifice.

We came across a man sitting behind a rock selling Pepsi, seemingly in the middle of no where.

He had a fridge, which I can see would keep already cold drinks, cold longer. But he had taped the electric lead in to a rock, to try to give the impression that the fridge was plugged in!

It stuck Alex & myself as so funny (I think it must have partly been the heat!), Even the drinks seller couldnt help laughing. (~_~)

To top it off, the drinks were warm!

Photo is not related at all to this tip, Its is an internal wall of one of the Tombs,
    It is this colouring which obviously gives Petra the title of The Rose City

Petra Rock

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo

Just Carry On Walking!

by freya_heaven Updated Nov 11, 2004

I assume we were just very lucky, but we rarely saw anyone else in Petra,

I would say the Monastery and High Places are probably most off the beaten track in Petra itself.

But if you really want to get away from everyone there is always the 6 hour hike to Mount Hor, to visit the Tomb Of Aaron, Moses brother.

Jebel Hor From High Places

• carolineraat's Profile Photo

Hire a guide

by carolineraat Written Feb 25, 2003

A good guid knows some of the places that other people miss. And as some of the trails are quiet dangerous, it´s worth the money!

the treasury from the top of the opposite mountain

Petra Hotels

• El Rashid Hotel

I was moved to this hotel in Wadi Musa, after the hotel I booked did not have a room available. The...

• Petra Moon Hotel

It's right next to the Petra entrance. Clean place at a decent price and next to the very pricey...

• Petra Guesthouse

Moevenpick Nabatean Castle Hotel
Valentine Inn
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews

Instant Answers: Petra

Comments

Petra Off The Beaten Path

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Petra locals.
Map of Petra