Aqaba Transportation

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

From the Border Terminal to Aqaba

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Oct 23, 2010

From the Border Terminal to Aqaba

There is no public transport to the terminal. Only privately-owned Israeli cars may cross through the terminal and travel within Jordan after a change of license plates, registration and the payment of a tax.

You can watch my 3 min 42 sec HD Video Jordan Aqaba-Petra part 1 out of my Youtube channel.

You can watch my high resolution photo of Petra on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 29° 31' 17.49" N 35° 0' 10.80" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Aqaba street.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Wadi Araba Border Crossing

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Oct 23, 2010

Wadi Araba Border Crossing

The Wadi Araba Border Crossing is an international border crossing between Aqaba, Jordan and Eilat, Israel.
    In 2006, the Israelis renamed their border terminal to Yitzhak Rabin Terminal, after the late Prime Minister.
    The terminal is open from 6:30 to 20:00, Sunday through Thursday, and from 8:00 to 20:00 on Fridays and Saturdays, every day of the year.
    Route 109 runs east from Eilat interchange at Highway 90 to the border crossing. It is 1.5 km long.
    If you arrive in Jordan from Israel, you can get the visa at the border.
    The Aqaba Special Economic Zone Authority (ASEZA for short) has introduced a special Economic Zone visa for Jordan, to be known as an "ASEZ visa".

You can watch my 2 min 44 sec HD Video Israel-Jordan Border Terminal in Eilat out of my Youtube channel.

• Great taxi in Aqaba

by peran Written Jan 7, 2009

Hi

If you are going too see the different places in Jordan and are leaving from Aqaba i can strongly recommend taking a Taxi. The price is much better than going with the Travel agencies; we went with a very good and friendly driver, Ahmad Ameen, 00962795614458

Regards

Per

• t368504's Profile Photo

Ferry Aqaba-Egypt

by t368504 Written Jul 19, 2008

Cars waiting to board the Nuweiba ferry

Here's some important info for anyone planning to travel between Aqaba (Jordan) and the Sinai (Egypt). Having recently made this trip (July 2008), I can confirm that all the horror stories about the AB Maritime (http://www.abmaritime.com.jo/main.html) voyage are not in the least bit exaggerated. I had heard that there was an alternative, passenger-only service operating out of the Royal Yacht Club, but Google searches of "ferry Aqaba" and "hydrofoil Aqaba" and similar combinations turned up nothing. I had a friend in Jordan try to find info, but he too was only able to find info on the AB Maritime ships.

Arriving in Aqaba by car, I decided to head directly to the Royal Yacht Club to see what I could find. Finding the club is easy -- just keep driving straight as you come into town -- you will go through several roundabouts but always carry on straight ahead until you reach the final one at the water. To your right will be the Mövenpick and the Intercontinental, to your left the road that leads to the AB Maritime Ferry and the Saudi border, and straight ahead is the gate into the Yacht Club.

The guard at the gate confirmed there was a ferry and directed us around to the right. There in a small office we found Sindbad Yachts, who were able to confirm that they had a vessel that would take passengers to a private marina in Taba at 12:30. The only problem was that new Egyptian security regulations required them to submit a passenger manifest for approval to the Egyptian authorities at least 24 hours in advance. (They also noted that they sometimes had trips directly to Sharm El-Sheikh from Aqaba, but it wasn't clear how often these ran and on what schedule). Although the manager, Mr. Thaer Darwish (mobile +962 79 5556076) made an effort to get us cleared for travel, it was impossible, so we ended up taking the AB Maritime hydrofoil instead. Before we did, we had to endure the frustration of seeing the Sindbad hydrofoil -- a clean, fast, well maintained vessel - board its Taba-bound passengers and make ready for departure.

We instead headed for the AB Maritime terminal, 7 km down the coast towards the Saudi border. The terminal was a filthy, disorganised mess, the vessel wasn't much better. At the ticket office, they directed us to the travel agent opposite. The travel agent sent us back to the ticket office. Then they said that tickets would not go on sale for another hour (it was by then four hours past the scheduled departure time of 12:00). We waited for a bit, took care of exit formalities, and then a well-dressed Jordanian passenger approached us and advised we could get tickets now and head for the boat. I went back to the ticket office. He again directed us to the travel agent. I told him the travel agent had already referred us back to the ticket office. He waved the travel agent over, said something to him in Arabic, and then the agent said, "OK, I can sell you a ticket". On the walk back across the hall, I told him "make sure the tickets are for the 'speed boat'" (AB Maritime operates both a hydrofoil and a conventional ferry between Aqaba and Nuweiba). He said, "no, speed boat is sold out". I said, "no, it must be the speed boat". He repeated that it was sold out. I repeated that I had to have tickets for the 'speed boat'. He said, "OK, let me check," and turned around and headed back to the AB Maritime ticket window. They spoke briefly in Arabic, then he turned back to me and said "OK, speed boat." Finally he took my 140 USD in cash for two tickets.

The ferry, which until May of 2007 was used by Tallink on the Helsinki-Tallin run, still had signage in Finnish and Estonian, as well as posters promoting travel to Tallin. I had probably been on the same vessel a few years back, but it was hardly recognisable thanks to the trash that was strewn everywhere. Despite the heat, they didn't turn on the numerous a/c units until just prior to departure, over an hour after we boarded. In the end, it only took an hour to cross, and the process on the other side (immigration, etc.) was relatively quick. The handful of westerners (a Norweigan woman travelling alone with her three daughters and a Mexican) we met on board had never even heard that there was an alternative service.

I advise anyone to avoid the AB Maritime service if at all possible and try to book with Sindbad instead -- if you have pre-registered, you can arrive as late as 12:15 for the 12:30 departure, the crossing takes only 45 minutes, the boats are excellent and the staff and crew very professional.

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

The ride to Egypt

by flynboxes Written May 26, 2007

If you can't fly or don't feel like dealing with the Israeli passport issue by taking a cab to Egypt this is an what you are stuck with. There are two boats that go to Nuwieba. One is a fast ferry (1 hour) which was not running the day I was there and there is the slower (4 hours) car ferry that goes over there. For me this was a good experience since this is how most of the locals go home to Egypt. The ferry itself is a old Greek boat with Muslim bathrooms. It's a long ride but a great chance to catch up on some reading or sleep. It departs from the same terminal as the fast boat. When you get your ticket and want to board you have to jump on a bus which takes you on a short ride to the ferry from the terminal which is a busy port handling trade for Jordan

Bus to Karak Castle, from Aqaba

The bus to Karak Castle is next to this Mosque

Difficult to describe....From the main Inter-City Bus Station, next to the Police Station is a Flea Market, at the end, turn walking down hill toward the Crystal Hotel and Waterfront. On your left side is a large Mosque and the street opens up. On the north side, next to the Mosque are buses - catch the one to Karak Castle at approximately 7:30-8:00am. The trip is 3hrs, the fare is less than 1.5JD. The route travels along the Dead Sea Highway with the mountains on your right and Israel across the Sea. The landscape is quite beautiful.

You'll have time to see Karak Castle, have lunch, and catch the bus back to Aqaba in the afternoon.

• Archeology

TRUST Buses, Aqaba

by Vabate Updated Jun 28, 2006

The TRUST Bus Station in Aqaba is located across from the Aqua Marina Hotel, 1 block from the Golden Tulip Hotel. Last bus to Amman leaves at 6:00pm, the drive is approximately 4hrs. Manadatary lunch must be purchased (sandwich and soda) as part of your ticket price.

Bus Station, Aqaba

Inter City Bus Station, Aqaba

There are several bus stations in Aqaba.

One is an inner city bus station - as a tourist you'll never use this one.

Another is located next to a mosque in town that has buses running to Karak Castle along the Dead Sea Highway.

JETT express bus to Amman is located behind the Movenpick Hotel.

TRUST express bus to Amman is located across Aqua Marina Hotel, 1 block from the Golden Tulip Hotel.

AFANA express bus to Amman is located in front of Dream Hotel.

The bus station next to the police station in front of the Dream Hotel has inter-city buses to Petra leaving at 6:00am (3JD); to Wadi Rum leaving at 8-8:30am (1JD); to Ma'an leaving every hour (1JD) until evening and to Amman.

AFANA Express Bus, Aqaba / Amman

AFANA Express in front of Dream Hotel, Aqaba

In front of Dream Hotel are express buses to Amman for 4.35JD, buses leave 7:30am, 11:30am, 3:00pm, 5:00pm, 7:00pm. The schedule from Amman to Aqaba is the same. Travel time is 4 hrs, no stops or drop offs. Coffee, tea, mineral water and sodas available on board, buses are modern with A/C. Once past the customs terminal, a movie (Arabic) is played.

The landscape through the Kings Highway is beautiful!

The drop off in Amman is Abdali Bus Station (The Airport Express and buses to Madaba and Jerash are located here).

The Bus Station across the street has buses running to Wadi Rum, Petra and Ma'an.

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo

Hire a Driver

by jadedmuse Written Nov 11, 2005

I can only speak from experience from the Eilat/Aqaba border crossing to Petra - I've hired a taxi driver both times I've done this trip to Petra. It's fairly easy and we found the price to be reasonable and if you're lucky, you'll get a great cab driver like we did on our most recent visit - and that makes the ride even more enjoyable. (note: I tried the public bus - we waited over an hour for it to fill up)

Most recent visit to Jordan:
    As with the first visit, we crossed the Eilat (Israel) - Aqaba (Jordan) border. I knew from previous experience that there would be a few drivers waiting around at the Jordanian Customs/Immigration area.

We hooked up with a really nice driver - actually, he was something like an engineer or some type of a professional in Amman (or so his story goes), but with the Jordanian economy being what it is these days (not so good), he decided to try his luck in Aqaba where tourism generates a fairly steady revenue stream.

He and I spent the two hour drive from Aqaba to Jordan discussing religion and politics - two subjects that are supposed to be "verboten" ! My husband remained silent in the back seat the whole time, probably praying we wouldn't go flying off the road each time the driver and I reached a "hot" topic. It was all civilized and good natured. When our driver dropped us off in Petra, we arranged for him to meet us again the next day to take us back to the Aqaba border crossing.

He, like the driver I'd had before him in a previous trip, was accomodating and gracious - never minding the multiple stops for photo shoots and even suggesting to stop to catch several vistas en route. The drive to Petra is stunning, running along the Kings Highway, rugged mountain backdrop, wadis in the distance...pure Lawrence of Arabia!

Cost was $40 USD each way. That's pretty reasonable in my book.

I had to get a picture of him before we left. I wish I remembered his name...and I wonder what he's doing these days...

• THLIN's Profile Photo

Bus or Taxi

by THLIN Written Aug 4, 2005

horrible drive...

If you come to Aqaba from Nuweiba, Egypt, then by the time you arrive the port, there is a bus and a lot of drivers to ask you where to go.
    For Amman, it would cost you JD4 to the bus station in Amman. And it took me 6 hours including two stops mid-way. I get on the bus on 9pm and arrived Amman 3am the next day. And Do Not expect too much for the bus, the condition is horrible, people smoking with broken chairs, I had bad time actually. But at least I had a good neighbour, who doesn't really speak English, we used body language to chat.
    For Petra or Wadi Musa, it's easier to take a private taxi. I think a car cost JD25 and 4 passengers is the maximun.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Taxi fares "out of town" from Aqaba

by TheWanderingCamel Written Mar 25, 2005

Some typical taxi fares "out of town" from Aqaba :

Aqaba to the Club Murjan 2-3JD
    Aqaba to the Southern Camp Site 3-4JD
    Aqaba to RDC 4-5JD
    Aqaba to the Aquarium 3JD ( yes, I know, it's closer and should be cheaper, but....)
    Aqaba to the ferry terminal 4JD (yes, I know, it's closer and should be cheaper, but...)
    Aqaba to the Israeli border 4-6JD (what to do??)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Coming from Eilat to Aqaba and on to Petra

by TheWanderingCamel Written Mar 24, 2005

Take a taxi to the Arava crossing point (perhaps 15 or 20 minutes and 30NIS), walk through the Israeli frontier, pay the departure tax (74NIS or approx 15USD but it must be paid in shekels), walk through the Jordanian frontier, the Jordanian visa is free in Aqaba. There is very seldom much delay at this frontier; unless you have the incredibly bad luck to get yourself just behind a group you can expect to clear both border controls into Jordan within 20-30 minutes.

In Jordan, look for a taxi at the border. If there isn't one, don't panic, just wait for a few minutes, something will show up. Standard taxi fares: if you go to the bus station with the taxi approx 5JD (too much, but what to do?). If you decide to splurge or to share with other people to go directly to Petra, then DO NOT pay more than 30JD (total for the car) from the border. If you go to the bus station and find a bus, the fare is 3 and a half JD from Aqaba to Petra. The trip takes somewhere over 2 hours. Note that the last bus leaves at 3pm.

For a day trip from Aqaba to Petra, the first bus leaves at about 8am. But coming back the last bus leaves Petra at 3.30pm so you don't have very much time for a very large site. The journey takes between an hour and a half and two hours, depending on the bus.

When you leave Jordan to go back to Israel, there is an exit taxi of 5JD, which is still less than the Israeli exit tax.

Posted by Lulu

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Bus

by Gili_S Written Nov 4, 2010

With the rather good roads around Jordan the bus lines are the most common and easy way of transportation here. We used bus to get to Petra and back and that was smooth and easy drive.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Air Memphis

by Cristian_Uluru Written Aug 4, 2005

A 320 Air Memphis

Air Memphis is a Egyptian charter flight airlines that connect Egypt and Aqaba with some European towns like Milan, Riga, Warsaw, Amsterdam and much more. It has got two Airbus A320.

Instant Answers: Aqaba

Comments

Aqaba Transportation

Reviews and photos of Aqaba transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aqaba sightseeing.