Kuwait Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Kuwait

Solti Nepali Restaurant: A taste of Everest

by mikey_e Written Feb 28, 2010

Solti Nepali Restaurant

I must admit that, despite having seen several Nepali restaurants in Toronto and been fairly curious about the cuisine, I had never before eaten at a Nepali restaurant. So, when seeing one in Kuwait, I decided to try my luck and was pleasantly surprised. Nepali food shows influences of both Chinese and Indian cuisine, with the obvious adjustments for a country that is landlocked and mountainous (i.e. no fish and heavier on meat and starches rather than vegetables). This is a restaurant geared towards Nepali migrant workers, so do not expect to find exquisite ambiance or impeccable service. Still, I rather enjoyed the experience, as it reminded me of the Chinese dumpling houses in Toronto. The food is fresh, but service can be rather slow if the restaurant is busy (they have one waiter and one cook). Spicy really does mean spicy, so don't order something hot unless you know that you can handle it.

Favorite Dish: Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of the dishes that I tried. However, the chicken chili (that may have been the actual name) was nothing that I would recommend. In addition to being excessively spicy, it was mainly noodles with some dark meat. Far preferable was the dish that was similar to a curry pho, with chicken and noodles in a thick, spicy curry sauce.

Mubarakiya Souq Restaurants: Cheap but delicious

by mikey_e Written Feb 28, 2010

Restaurants setting up for breakfast

I've bundled all of the restaurants at the Mubarakiya Souq together because they are, for all intents and purposes, really just one restaurant. True, they do compete against one another for customers, but the food they get is all from the same place (the souq) and they all offer Iranian, Kuwaiti and Eastern Mediterranean dishes. My favourite was the one that was closest to the main hall of the market (al-Dana al-Azraq), where they specialized in Iranian food and generally had good meats and stews (except for the fish stew). The waiters here are either Iranian or Egyptian; the Iranians speak very little Arabic, in general, so you have to hope that they speak English, otherwise ordering can be a bit daunting. The Egyptians generally speak English in addition to Arabic. You will probably be rushed into a seat (they're not trying to give you the bad table, they just want you to sit down in their section of the seating, rather than in someone else's) and you may be expected to order immediately. There is almost always a bilingual menu, though, so don't be shy about taking your time.

Favorite Dish: Kebabs are the specialty of these restaurants, and my favourite were the lamb ones (you can either get kofta, which is ground meat, or the actual chunks of lamb). As a side dish, stewed okra is quite tasty (marag bamia). The hummous and eggplant spreads are not great and usually drenched with vegetable, but not olive, oil. Tikka (grilled chicken) is ok, but the shish taouk (also grilled chicken) is a better choice. Everything is served with flat bread and salad, which takes the form of various greens and several onion wedges. Remember to ask for tea (chay) after your meal.

Signor Sassi: Italian food should be left to Italians

by mikey_e Written Feb 27, 2010

Signor Sassi by the Kuwait Towers

Kuwait is overflowing with foreign restaurants. Sometimes it seems like the people of this country are ashamed of their delicious, exciting and interesting cuisine. They cover it up with horrendous, bastardized versions of international cuisine that make you dream of kebabs and marag. Signor Sassi is a London fastfood chain that has recently moved into Kuwait. This outlet is designed to be a much more upscale restaurant than its London brethren, although there are more than a few instances of the staff breaking out in team chants and happy birthday. The menu includes a number of classic Italian dishes, but the problem is that they are devoid of pork and wine (two key ingredients) and many of the other key but legal ingredients are too expensive to include in the menu. They do try to provide a good experience for customers, and the service here is generally excellent if you can avoid the obnoxious manager. This restaurant is reputed to be the only one in Kuwait with its own pasta production. Prices are average for this type (Western) of restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Both times I ate here, I got sick. I'm not sure what caused it, but both times I had the panna cotta dessert. The capriccio was quite good, as were the grilled vegetables, but I wouldn't recommend the pasta. The shrimps are decent, but the sauce in which they were served is bland.

Mat9am An-Nida/Ash-shamam: Sit with the guys

by mikey_e Written Feb 24, 2010

The dining hall (market in the background)

These are actually two restaurants, but, in true Kuwaiti form, they are likely owned by the same people and utilize the same kitchen. Both are Iranian restaurants that offer Kuwaiti dishes in addition to Iranian ones. One of the greatest draws to this restaurant is that it allows you to sit with the old men (and the young ones) and eat in traditionally Arab city fashion. Not that you get to sit on cushions or anything, but the restaurant is packed with older men drinking tea, eating kebabs and talking loudly with each other and the waiters. Of course, that generally means that women should not eat at the tables (even in the company of men), so the experience is a bit limited. The restaurant does all sorts of kebabs, my favourites of which were the lamb meat ones (either ground meat or chunks of the meat). They also have fairly good marag bamia (okra stew) and flat bread. I wouldn't recommend the hummous here, because of the healthy dose of canola oil put on it (as everywhere in Kuwait) and the general lack of garlic. The staff goes above and beyond the general expectation of friendliness and is extremely helpful. There aren't really menus and the staff don't speak English, so you should probably only attempt this restaurant if you speak Arabic or are feeling adventurous.

Favorite Dish: I loved the lamb kebabs. The meat chunks were obviously fresh and cooked without spices or marinade, so you could really taste the meat. Together with their flat bread, it was a sure bet for a good meal.

Shater Abbas: Persian cuisine in a traditional setting

by mikey_e Written Feb 24, 2010

Shater Abbas at night

I wandered into Shater Abbas on a whim - mainly because I was hungry and it looked like a fairly decent establishment where I wouldn't have to worry about being forced into ordering kebab just because I didn't know anything else. The food here is delicious and, unlike many other restaurants in the souq, the ambiance is quiet and quaint. The owner ensures that soft classical Persian music provides an enjoyable background to traditional dishes. All of the food is served with a greens salad (the type of greens changes per season) and barley soup. Most meals come with heaps of rice and it is traditional to order a main dish and some sort of side dish, either things like hummous or eggplant spread or stems, usually made from fish or vegetables such as okra or zucchini. Main dishes are heavy on grilled meats or fish, sometimes marinated in delicious spices or sauces. The service is quick and friendly, although many of the servers speak minimal Arabic and English (they're usually South Asian). The menu is in both languages with pictures.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed their marag bamia (stewed okra) as a side dish and the Istanbuli gosht, which is roasted meat served on a bed of saffron rice. I also had the biryani, which was delicious but a bit too heavy on rice. The grilled chicken was also quite good.

• Maki: Mediocre

by RKicF8 Updated Sep 12, 2009

The atmosphere was nice but the sushi left you wanting. Its better than Fusion don't get me wrong but where they fail is their extremely large menu of their "speciality" sushis that just aren't discriptive enough. When ordering from those its hit or miss as far as if you'll like it or not. I suggest you stick to what you know. The unfortunate part about that is if you are familar with popular American fusion rolls you will be left sorely disappointed.

As if that weren't bad enough. Besides just paying for the meal and tipping your waitress you have to pay gratuity just for the Maki franchise. I will not be returning there again.

• erikute3534's Profile Photo

Le Cafe at Kuwait towers: snack

by erikute3534 Written Jun 21, 2009

it was nice! and the view is just worth it.
    Take it easy have coffee or snack, salad or main course.
    just enjoy Kuwait city from HIGH!

You dont pay for entry if you going to restaurant

Favorite Dish: had salmon salad and it was very nice

• Adventure Travel

• Jade Garden Chinese Seafood Restaurant: Best Chinese Restaurant in Kuwait

by graceinkuwait Written May 2, 2009

Jade Garden is the most authentic Chinese restaurant in Kuwait...I was really astounded by the decoration of the place. They even have a 6ft bronze dragon to greet you!
    On my last visit I was seated next to the aquarium, which is cool to watch when you are enjoying your meal. The place is big by Kuwait standards, but the attention to detail is excellent, I cant say ive had better service anywhere in Kuwait. All the waitress are Chinese which is nice to see in a Chinese restaurant, and really knowledgeable about the menu. The chefs are also from different regions in China, and each have their own type of cooking, which makes the dishes really special, and not seem like you are at 'another' disapointing Chinese restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Where do I start for my favorite dish??! Well the restaurant specializes in seafood, everything from fresh lobster, shrimp and hammour all cooked in the Chinese style. The place even has 14 soups on the menu! I love the steamed dumplings - second to none. The appetizers are good, and different to what you would normally expect. For instance, Shrimp fried with potato, a must!
    The sizzler platters are really tasty, I tried the beef. What really suprised me the most was the price...inexpensive for the quality of food and service. For two people, starter + soup + main course and rice/noodles + drinks only around 8KD per person.

In Salmiya, take Hamad Al Mubarak street, then head towards the old 'SANA' shop, now RED TAG', it is on the corner next to noodles and Murgh Mahal.

• The Slider Station: THE BURGER UR GOING TO EAT

by USAgrl Written Oct 31, 2008

this is my favorite restaurant in kwt .. i am addicted to it! its a small unique design and atmospher ... the food is grt and the staff working there r so good n frienldy ,

Favorite Dish: my favorite is midnight slider dynamite nachos , portabello slider , swiss mushroom slider , the morrocan sensation salad , chicken caesar salad .. the shrimp , the all kind of fries onion rings.. THE DESSERT : chocolate Pudding so yummy !
    u guys can visit their website to get more infortmation..
    www.sliderstation.com

• Thai Chi: Great food, prices not too bad

by benmychree Written Dec 27, 2007

Thai Chi is at the Movenpick Hotel complex on Gulf Road, just south of the Beda'a roundabout (or the Beda'a chaotic traffic jam, to give it a more accurate name).

We took my in-laws there when they were visiting in October 2007. It was still pleasantly warm so we sat outside. Saves getting gassed to death by the smokers who seem to dominate every place in Kuwait. Maybe the government will catch up witht the rest of the civilised world and ban smoking in such public places, but let's not hold our breath....

The service was good, but then again it was early to be eating for Kuwait (7.30pm) so it was very quiet. Some very nice prawn crackers were served with a variety of dips while we waited for our food.

They offer both Thai and Chinese food (as the name suggests). All 4 adults were very pleased with the choices of starters and main course - they were hot, well prepared and tasty. Only our fussy 13 year old wasn't impressed but then again a glass of water would probably have the wrong flavour or texture for her.......

As is always the case in Kuwait, the meal would have been even better with a glass of wine, but unfortunately we are never likely to have that chance............

We were all full enough not to be able to manage a dessert.

Starters range from 1.5 KD to 4 KD. Soups and salads 2 KD to 3 KD. Curries and sizzling platters 3 KD to 4KD. Seafood 3 KD to 7 KD. Meat and poultry 2.75 KD to 10 KD. Vegetables rice and noodles 1 KD to 3 KD. Desserts 1.25 KD to 2 KD. Mocktails and drinks 1.45 KD to 1.6 KD.

It was a nice meal, and the prices are not cheap but not extortionate either.

Favorite Dish: Prawns were excellent as was the Tom Yam soup. We got the impression it was difficult to make a bad choice on the menu (unless you are 13 and very fussy).

Starbucks: It's everywhere

by jbabinski78 Written May 20, 2007
    Starbucks

I was never a big fan of coffee. Occasionally though, I get a craving for something flavored. Typically I'll get something like a hot white choclate mocha. Today was sizzling hot so I decided to try the special...Banana Java Chip Frappucino. Oh my...this was D-LICIOUS!~

It reminded me when McDonalds had their special flavour of Banana Fudge McFlurry. Anyways this frappucino hit the spot since it was nice and iced. I also got me a cheese crossiant.

Starbucks is pretty much everywhere. The pastrie assortment was different than the US ones and as usual everything is overpriced. Anyways my treats hit the spot.

Favorite Dish: Banana Java Chip Frappucino

Johnny Rockets: Old Fashioned American

Smile :-)

I typically like to try the local cusine when traveling to different areas, but unfortunately the people in my party don't have the tastebuds for something "different" so Johnny Rockets won this day. I've been to Johnny Rockets back home in states before and love their milkshakes.

This time around I went with a sandwich,fries and a diet coke. I think the sandwich was a patty melt with bacon. Well it was turkey bacon but the sandwich was great and hit the spot.

The funniest thing about Johnny Rockets is that when i speak to other Americans here they tell me it's the place to go for the best Apple pie. I did take a bite out of my friend's Apple Pie A la mode and it was D-LICIOUS!~

Same Johnny Rockets taste as the states minus the pork bacon. :-)

Favorite Dish: Patty Melt

Chili's: Chili's

by jbabinski78 Written May 13, 2007

There seems to be a good amount of American Franchise Restaurants in Kuwait. I decided to go to Chili's this day since it was conviently located in the mall. For appetizers, I started out with the bottomless chips and salsa. For the main meal, I ordered the chicken and ribbs platter with mashed potatos and apples with and a cherry coke. They didn't really have cherry coke, but they did have the cherry syrup. The chicken was great, but I wish the ribs were pork. Too bad they don't serve pork in Kuwait, but I still have access to pork when I need it through work.

I guess if you've been to one Chili's then you've been to them all. I used to eat here all the time when I was in college after hockey games. Prices were a lil higher than the USA Chili's but then again I eat more when I go out to eat. Overall...I'll give this a YUM!

Favorite Dish: Chicken

Indian Mughlai Restaurant: Peace and Quiet

Indian Mughlai Restaurant

After walking the streets in search of food I finally decided to pick this joint mainly because it had pictures of food outside. So I took the flight of stairs up and was welcomed to good atmostphere and a friendly staff.

My party was seated in a cozy private room where we offered water and the menu. The music playing was odd for an Indian Restaurant at first because it was American top 40 style. Later during the meal, they started playing Indian music.

This joint has a good assortment of dishes on the menu from Indian to Chinese to American Steaks and so on. I ordered an appetizer sampler platter of egg rolls, samosas, wings, and a few other items like butter and garlic naan... D-LICIOUS!~ I decided to go with a sampler platter for my main dish of lamb, beef, and chicken. It came with french fries, but I should have asked for rice. Oh well it was D-LICIOUS!~ To top it off I decided to just finish my meal with a Thumbs Up soda.

Overall I was quite pleased with this joint. The food was delicious and the staff was friendly.

• mugrubi's Profile Photo

Ginger: Holistic Resturant

by mugrubi Updated Mar 19, 2007

I was not told about this resuturant, I was actually going to buy few books from the bookstore at the Muthana Mall, and parked my car in the basement of the mall, the gate I entered to the mall was number 4 from the outside of the mall. I noticed this resturant that seemed fine, but it was closed at the time I noticed it (8:00 in the morning) so I went to get the books, and was heading from my car, on the way back I found it open (around noon time) and preparing for lunch time.
    I checked the menu and it seemed a nice thing to try it out, they had a meals that are both healthy and tasty.

Favorite Dish: don't miss the soups

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Kuwait

Comments

Kuwait Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kuwait restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kuwait sightseeing.