Related Lebanon Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Lebanon

• xaver's Profile Photo

mediterranean sea

by xaver Written Dec 30, 2003

Favorite thing: Fondest memory, I guess mine was the other side of mediterranean sea, it was the first time for me and that made me think of how many different countries and cultures you may meet just going around this small sea, a small sea that still hides so many legends, boats, treasures, blood, hopes and dreams.

temple in byblos

Beaches

by MalenaN Written Nov 4, 2003

Favorite thing: Lebanon don't have many public beaches. Just south of the town Jbail (Byblos) there are the sandy beaches Tam-Tam and Paradise.
    To go here from Beirut you can take a bus going north from Charles Helou Station and ask to be dropped at the beaches. From the highway there is a road going down the slope to the sea.

• Beaches

The Harbour, Jbail

by MalenaN Updated Nov 7, 2003

Favorite thing: The harbour might be one of the oldest in the world. From here the famous Lebanese ceder was shipped to other towns during ancient time.
    There are small fishing boats and a few boats for sight-seeing. Around the harbour are some restaurants and a hotel.

• Architecture

Crusader Castle, Byblos

by MalenaN Written Nov 4, 2003

Favorite thing: When you are going to explore the historical site the Crusader Castle is a good place to start at as there is a beautiful view over the area and the sea from the roof.
    When the castle was built in the 12th century by the Franks blocks from the ancient temples were used.

• Castles and Palaces

View from the castle

by MalenaN Updated Nov 7, 2003

Favorite thing: The squared foundation in the middle are the ruins of Temple of Baalat Gebal which is the oldest temple at Byblos. It is from the 4th millenium BC. The temple was important until Roman times.
    Close to the sea there is a house built during the Ottoman period.

• Castles and Palaces

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the south

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 29, 2004

Favorite thing: Heading south of Beirut is an amazing trip into modern history. The farther south you go, the more you see and feel about the troubles in the middle east. UN army people become more and more common - and so do checkpoints. Once you reach Tyre you sometimes wonder if the UN people outnumber the local people

Fondest memory: It's my favourite part of Lebanon - vibrant - sadly still scarred from the recent political events. Tyre is absolutely wonderful and the village of Qana the saddest place (together with Mostar) that I have ever visited - and at the same time the place where I long to return: a real lesson in life.

a view of Tyre

The Great Temple of Baalbek

by dr.firas Updated Jul 14, 2003

Favorite thing: On the site of a previous sanctuary dating back to the Bronze and Iron ages as well as to the Hellenistic period, The Roman Temple of Jupiter was built during the 1st c. AD.
    It consists of a cella built on a 12m. High podium, and a courtyard surrounded by a colonnaded portico.

The Great Temple

• sarrahh's Profile Photo

FAIROOZ

by sarrahh Updated Apr 15, 2005

Favorite thing: Her voice is silk and flame in one.

In Lebanon, we sway with it, sail the seas with it as our mast, and because of it we love.

Our betrothed women ask us to seal them with her voice, to dissolve its whispers into pearls for a necklace, and with its vibrations to encircle their waists; they beg us to pluck love songs for them from this voice alone.

The fighter among us who finds in her voice the will to survive, hears through it the swish of the sword and experiences his moment of valor.
    so dont miss any festival anyway when she will sing i will tell u b4

OUR SINGER
    • Festivals
    • Music

Alphabet

by dr.firas Updated Sep 12, 2003

Favorite thing: As the first Alphabet in the world was founded in Syria Ugarit near Latakia today!
    the Byblos Alphabet was one of the first too!
    after that one in Syria!
    ha ha ha indeed no Syria and Lebanon where called that time!
    it was all Major Syria:
    Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine, Israel!
    Yes believe it or not!
    it is a historical fact!

Alphabet

Hmmmmm!

by dr.firas Written Sep 21, 2003

Favorite thing: Tripoli of Lebanon was really a chosen place to settle the Palestinian refugees!
    Big population of Palestinians is living here in this city.
    Many other cities in all the Arabian countries let the refugees to settle in many cities it have.
    But Palestinians are still keeping their passports and don’t have the new passport of the new place,
    As they know in spite of all the full rights they are having in any Arabian country, there place where they should go back someday when the whole situation is stabilized is their legal home Palestine.
    I’m totally for the peace in our sad wounded Middle East and for Justice and fair as well.

Tripoli

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the capital

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 29, 2004

Favorite thing: Happy 2004 Beirut! Things are changing... fast downtown, slowlier in the suburbs, especially in the less wealthy ones. Devastated between 1975 and 1990 by a bloody civil war, Beirut is quickly picking itself up. Buildings like the one in the picture are getting more and more obsolete.

Fondest memory: I'm not too fond of Beirut... beautiful restoration work has been carried out downtown and in other parts of town, yet it's still very grey and sad-looking. I saw very little of it by day, and I was not really impressed. But by night it shines like gold: it's beautiful, it's alive, it's captivating, it's full of contrast. I definitely liked Beirut at night.

damaged building in beirut

From Bronze age!

by dr.firas Written Aug 30, 2004

Baalbeck

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

My family

by DunaKal Updated Jul 22, 2005

Favorite thing: Last time I visited Lebanon to attend my nephew's wedding..
    There were like 15 members of my family to greet us(my sisters,husband and I)at the airport terminal including the bride and groom ;-)
    This was indeed one my fondest memories of arriving to Lebanon.

Fondest memory: Funny thing I was chatting with my cousin before we left home to Lebanon and I told him,we have plenty of luggage and I think we should take a taxi as well as his car,,so he says,,"I'm sorry,I'm gonna be busy tomorrow,so I think you should rent a van..."

I felt sorry,for not single person could come to the airport for us,specially that my eldest sister hadn't visited Lebanon for 20 years,but I said"it's OK,I understand".

Not to mention everybody was laughing at my surprised face when I saw almost every one was there for us :-D

Baalbek

by dr.firas Updated Jul 14, 2003

Favorite thing: Of utmost importance for the cult of Jupiter Heliopolitanus were the 2 high altars on the flat roof of which scarifies were offered, the 2 ablution basins and 2 freestanding columns.
    All elements (altars basin and columns) played an important role in pre-Roman oriental cults.

Baalbek

History

by dr.firas Written Sep 14, 2003

Favorite thing: A view of the Sarai, which means the courthouse!
    Zahle is the famous city of the shops and shopping, trade and commercial things.
    Since the very early days when it was founded a basic way of trade was established between Zahle and Aleppo, Zahle and Damascus, Zahle and Jerusalem.

Zahle

Aley Hotels
Al Arz Hotels
7 Reviews - 55 Photos

Instant Answers: Lebanon

Comments

Lebanon Favorites

Reviews and photos of Lebanon favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lebanon sightseeing.
Map of Lebanon