Muscat Restaurants

The wonderful Iranian bread
    by uglyscot
  • from our alcove, and the lime and mint drink
    from our alcove, and the lime and mint...
    Display of pottery

Most Recent Restaurants in Muscat

ubhar: true Omani food

by uglyscot Written May 27, 2014
    Display of pottery

This restaurant is,I was told, the only real Omani restaurant . Reservations are essential as it is very crowded The decor is good and not overpowering. I was seated facing a wall with alcoves holding different kinds of pottery. We were handed a menu- more like a book, so i asked my husband and our host to make suggestions.Every kind of meat and many fish dishes were available, also mezzes, salads, soups... but I can't remember so much.
    The only problem was that we had to wait far too long for the food, but when it arrived we devoured it with great satisfaction.

Favorite Dish: I ordered grilled hammour and ended up with three large fillets and a plateful of rice. My husband allowed me to have some of his salmon wrapped in spinach and stuffed with traditional local spices. absolutely delicious
    I also ordered a classic fruit juice- cranberry, apple, pineapple and pomegranate. Wonderful.

Sadaf: Open Buffet

by uglyscot Written May 13, 2014

from our alcove, and the lime and mint drink

we were invited for an evening meal at this Iranian restaurant,one of several branches to be found in Muscat, including Muscat Airport
    We were seated in a secluded alcove where there was a table set for 6.
    The service was good , when we arrived there was only a couple, but later other diners, including families arrived. We were brought two baskets with hot Iranian bread which I love, even when it is crispy.
    As the buffet is self service, we trooped out to take our selected dishes. I started with mushroom soup, and a selection of salads. Then had some rice and a variety of fish and chicken dishes, all delicious. I thenhad some fruit and a bowl of rice cooked in milk and flavoured with coconut.
    We had a bottle of water each, and husband and I had pomegranate juice which was really good. It did not have the woody taste that I have had elsewhere, nor was it over sweet.
    Our companions hah lime juice with mint, but from the unfinished glass sitting in front of a colleague, I kneew it was more like mint with lime- bright green.

Favorite Dish: I loved the chicken kofta, but everything was so good.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Aladdin- one of the Omar Khayyam group: A veritable Aladdin's cave of a restaurant

by uglyscot Written May 4, 2014

The food is absolutely wonderful. The service is good and the d├ęcor was good but not overpowering. There were a couple of eating areas on the ground floor, but we saw many people going upstairs..
    Every dish served at our table was perfect, so what more can be said.
    There were a couple

It is one of 4 branches run by the Omer Khayyam group.- Ruwi ,and Kloud have too

Favorite Dish: WE were invited to dinner by an acquaintance of my husband . I had the chicken and sweet corn soup, while husband and our hosts had fish soup [made with 15 ingredients!].
    My husband and I had sizzling plate of beef with mixed vegetables and far too many French fries. The large steak was so tender, it melted in your mouth.
    The others chose an Indian dish and a sweet and sour dish and left their plates clean.
    I had a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, and the men lemon with mint.

• MartinW31's Profile Photo

Camilia Cafe Restaurant: The Best Turkish Cuisine in Muscat

by MartinW31 Written Apr 11, 2013

This place is wonderful for getting Turkish food. I always get the Turkish Kebab or mixed grill. They have seafood, too. The staff is very punctual and professionals. The food is delicious and I enjoyed whatever I had. And it is super cheap..

Favorite Dish: Adana Turkish Kebab

• Cruise

• Ubhar Restaurant: Try traditional and infused Omani food

by UmNawaf Written Apr 12, 2012

Ubhar restaurant is a great place to experience Omani hospitality and cuisine. With tall windows overlooking the busiest street in Shatti Al Qurum, Ubhar is ideally located for those looking to attend one of the shows at the newly opened Royal Opera House.

Favorite Dish: Shuwaa sandwich Shuwaa beef with home made sun dried tomatoes on ciabatta bread.

• Luxury Travel

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Nice View Coffee Shop & Restuarant: Service with a smile here

by lynnehamman Written Dec 8, 2011

Called 'Nice View' Coffee Shop- not so sure about the view!
    However, we had a delicious meal here one hot evening, and the friendly service made up for the lack of a view.
    The food was typically Eastern- we had Beef kebabs, a selection of salads, chips (?) , and freshly baked Pita Bread with a selection of middle eastern dips. The Hoummous was particuarly good.
    Finished off with some ice cream and mint tea.
    Well worth a visit.

• Mumtaz Mahal: Bad choice

by Wasfi65 Written Aug 18, 2011

It was our Anniversary and we had our dinner in this restaurant, the surrounding/view was good so we thought we will have a good time. Then we entered a nicely lit place, the waiter was nice it was buffet style but the food was not as good as we thought it would be, the selection...the main course was acceptable, the salads has no taste, juices/ drinks was so minimal and the dessert?, well i thought there's another table b'coz it was not good at all.
    Service?, gosh someone keeps on collecting the plates that we got so annoyed, then this other waiter keeps an eye at customers how many times they fill their plates, well we have to keep on trying the other dish to find which one is better than the other. So really there's no anyting special 'bout this restaurant except for the price, it is expensive and for what????

• Grand Lounge Turkish Cuisine: The Best Turkish Restaurant in Oman!

by Johnoman Written Apr 24, 2011

My wife and I went to this Turkish restaurant. The food was excellent and the flavour was amazing. We had a nicely cooked fish and a kebab. The staff were great. We really enjoyed the food at the place and the service was very good. Should not be missed.

Keyword about Grand Lounge:

Great atmosphere, delicious food

Favorite Dish: Fish Kokorec, Fish Skewer and Iskender Kebap

• tamerinho's Profile Photo

Kargeen Caffe': A MUST try!

by tamerinho Updated Apr 4, 2011

Among the coolest and trendiest hangouts in Muscat.
    It is an open air restaurant/Caffe', with a couple of medium sized indoors halls.

They have a very rich menu fll of varieties, from Kebabs, to Rice, to Pizza to extravganza Salads and juices.

The service is unique, and the waiter/waitresses are dressed in an old Arabic/Ottoman Turkish traditonal way.

Portions are quite big, and out door setting is really cool.

In addition to normal tables, they have what they call "Arabic sitting" which some sort of wooden benches covered with carpets.

They also offer excellent varities of Tea in addition to Shisha (water pipe for those who are interested)

Favorite Dish: I tried so many dishes there, all are excellent.

Try also the Yemeni Tea (tea with cloves), very tasty.

Enjoy.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• JamillaCamel's Profile Photo

Mumtaz Mahal: Spicy Indian Delights in Muscat

by JamillaCamel Updated Apr 4, 2011

Mumtaz Mahal Indian restaurant sits on top of a hill overlooking the sea and Qurum Park, and there is live music most nights too. However, the views and music are not what set this restaurant apart--it's definitely the food.

Mumtaz Mahal specialises in North Indian, or Moghul cooking. Biryani, Tandoor specialities, and delicious breads characterise this style of cooking.

Favorite Dish: Having travelled around India, I have developed a fondness for really good Indian breads, and Mumtaz Mahal certainly delivers on the bread front. You can assemble your own bread basket with your choice of breads like Roti, Paratha, Chappati, Naan, etc. and each one is delicious.

Being a Mughlai-style restaurant, any dish with Tandoor meats that we've tried has been delicious.

An extensive ranger of Starters is offerred, and a good selection of Paneer dishes.

• Music

• Ali&Steve's Profile Photo

The Restaurant - The Chedi Hotel: Can't See What The Fuss Is About

by Ali&Steve Updated Apr 4, 2011

Thai Seafood Curry

As Ali & I live but a stone's throw from The Chedi Hotel and are also keen to sample different dining establishments, we have been trying to book The Restaurant for months. Unbelievably, it has a minimum one month waiting list for a table. That, and the much touted winning of the Oman Today Best International Restaurant, Best Ambience, and Best Service awards for 2004 (probably equivalent to the Bombay Star winning the best restaurant award in the Aberdeen Press & Journal for all its culinary value) leads one to think that this is one special Muscat Restaurant. So, I booked the table one month in advance and managed to get a 21.30 sitting (painful as work starts at 07.00).

Favorite Dish: The menu card is divided into 4 sections: Arabic, Mediterranean, Asian, and Indian. For Arabic, read Moroccan and Lebanese which is a bit of a misnomer really but there's no Trading Standards Office here. Mediterranean leans heavily towards fish dishes and pizza whilst Asian (read Thai), and Indian focus on the meat curries. The ambience is reasonable, albeit a little cavernous, and far from intimate. The 4 cooking areas for each type of cuisine is an interesting feature if you happen to get a seat facing one. Service was good with the staff being very attentive. In summary, I can only offer that the prolonged wait for a table is caused by the hotel giving priority to residents who would otherwise be marooned miles from any decent alternative eatery. It's good but nothing too special and, certainly, the Al Marjan restaurant at the Al Bustan Palace is equally as good and a more intimate venue for that meal a deux.

Pizza Express - Al Qurum Beach

by Ewingjr98 Updated Mar 10, 2011

Pizza Express was easily the best meal I had in nearly a week in Muscat. It is a modern restaurant, with great views of the beach, casual outdoor seating, and really good food. Pizza Express is a English company that has gone global, with some 300 restaurants, mostly in Europe and the Middle East.

The location at Al Qurum in Muscat is great--right on the beach with plenty our shady outdoor seating. I took a seat right by the water and was surrounded by a mix of local Omanis and Europeans. I started with a Diet Pepsi (.600 OMR), then I ordered the pizza diavolo with jalapeno peppers (4.000 OMR). The pizza took only about 20 minutes, and arrived hot and fresh. I enjoyed my pie while I soaked up the sun and enjoyed watching a few people fly kites on the beach.

Highly recommended.

Trader Vic's -- InterContinental Hotel

by Ewingjr98 Updated Mar 10, 2011

Trader Vic's is a small, but global chain of Polynesian-themed restaurants with a variety of Chinese, Japanese, Polynesian, Vietnamese, Thai, French, and Californian foods. The restaurant is inspired by an Oakland restaurant dating back to 1934, owned by a man named Victor J. "Trader Vic" Bergeron, though I'd bet he'd hardly recognize his namesake restaurant. Trader Vic is also credited with inventing the Mai-Tai drink.

The Muscat, Oman location sits right beside the InterContinental hotel, right along the beach in Muscat. We arrived one busy even, but were fortunate to find parking right out front. We were quickly seated, and we ordered drinks, then the waitress decided to move use 15 feet to another table because someone had supposedly reserved the table we were seated in... very lame. She later got very annoyed when we asked to split the bill, so we could pay separately with credit cards. Sorry, I didn't know.

For dinner I had a Szechuan prawn dish along with a few Singaporean Tiger Beers. The food was really spicy and with lots of shrimp and veggies. Not too bad, and much more food for the Rial than the steak dishes. Unfortunately, when it came time to pay and leave, it took us 15 minutes to flag down a waitress and get our bill so we could get to the airport.

The bill was a very expensive 17.784 OMR ($46 US) for a cheap entree and two beers. The Szechuan prawns were 10.000 Rials, the Stella beers 2.600 Rials, and taxes/service charge a hefty 2.584 Rials.

Trader Vic's also runs the Senor Pico restaurant in the Muscat InterCon.

Meji's Aroy thai - near the InterContinental

by Ewingjr98 Updated Mar 10, 2011

The best meal I had in Muscat and in one of the nicer restaurants around. Plus the service was professional and courteous.

I arrived in the evening, and while the restaurant was quiet from the outside, inside was surprisingly busy. I asked for a quiet seat along the wall, facing the door, and the staff was happy to comply. I ordered a diet Coke since they don't offer beer outside of hotels.

I scanned the authentic menu full of Thai specialties and quickly decided on a beef an vegetable dish called Khao Suay. My meal took awhile to arrive, but the waiter was friendly and the food, when I did get a chance to try it, was good. Certainly not the best Thai food ever, but I've never had this dish before, so not much to compare it to.

My meal cost a total of 6.320 Rials ($16.50 US), 3.800 Rice for the main dish, 1.200 Rials for the side of white rice, .800 Rials for the Diet Coke, and taxes of .520 Rials.

Tomato Restaurant - InterContinental Hotel

by Ewingjr98 Updated Mar 6, 2011

Tomato, the InterContinental's poolside restaurant, has plenty of casual outdoor seating and decent Italian and Mediterranean pastas and pizzas, but it suffers from terrible service and steep prices. The atmosphere here is great--an open air dining area set among palm trees and bikinis. Tomato features dishes like Gnocchi and pizza, most featuring the tomato as a key ingredient.

I arrived for a late lunch, and the restaurant was very busy. The host seated me at a table off on the side, which was perfect. Then I waited at least 20 minutes for a waiter. Finally I waived one down and asked for a beer and a menu. I decided on the pizza margarita, which arrived pretty quickly and was tasty, but it did cost OMR 7 ($15 US). After I finished eating I again had to seek out a waitress to get me another beer, then I had to track down a waiter just to pay.

Instant Answers: Muscat

Comments

Muscat Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Muscat restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Muscat sightseeing.