Fun things to do in Muscat

My best shot of the dolphins!
    by MikeBird
    Approaching the marina by boat
    Another crumby dolphin shot

Most Viewed Things to Do in Muscat

• samitbabu's Profile Photo

Nakhl Fort

by samitbabu Updated Aug 23, 2015

About an Hour and a half drive from Muscat enroute to Dubai you will find the Nakhl fort.
    Nakhl Fort a history which dates back to the pre-Islamic period. Over the centuries, it underwent many renovations and improvements.
    The fort was re-built by Omani architects in the 17th century.
    The fort rises above a rocky hill on the base of Mt Nakhl .
    It is easy to track it through Google Maps.

You need to enter through the main gate where you will buy your tickets ( Omani 2 Rial / UAE 20 AED per head - adult)

Nearby is a wadi with water flowing into the streets and the local population enjoying a dip and a splash during the rainy season.

• Castles and Palaces

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Beaches around Muscat

by muratkorman Written Apr 15, 2015

If you have a rent car, you can find peaceful isolated beaches around Muscat. We were lucky that our friends took us to their favorite beaches with their car. It is fun when you are the only one in the beach. It feels like the whole beach is yours.

• Photography
    • Beaches

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Oman Dive Center

by muratkorman Written Mar 28, 2015

Don't let the name give you the wrong impression, Oman Dive Center has a grand beach and a nice restaurant to provide you all the comfort and relaxation you need. It is a family-friendly facility to ensure the children enjoy as well as the parents.

• Beaches
    • Water Sports

Visit the Natural History Museum

by MikeBird Written Jan 15, 2015

Given my interest in all things to do with the natural world a short visit to the Natural History Museum in Muscat seemed a sensible and interesting thing to do. I'd been told the Museum was not large but well worth a visit so I detoured and stopped by. I was very glad I did.

The exhibits are very well presented; in an interesting and informative way. There are dioramas of stuffed specimens placed in a naturalistic setting. These provide the visitor with a better idea of how the animal would survive in its habitat. There are some extensive displays of insect life with explanatory interpretation boards and a useful exhibit on the geology of the country including some fossils.

There is a whale room set to one side of the main building. It contains the skeleton of a Sperm Whale which was found beached on the Omani coastline in the 1980s.

Museum Opening times are 9:30-13:30 Morning, 17:00-19:00 Evening and there is a 500 Baisa entrance fee for adults.

Entrance to the Natural History Museum One of the displays in the Museum
    • Museum Visits

Qurum Natural Park

by MikeBird Written Jan 9, 2015

Despite its name the Qurum Natural Park is a real mixture of man-made gardens, children's play areas, lakes, funfair and novelties to amuse and entertain the family. It's not what I would call 'Natural' but it is a very pleasant place to stroll around and to relax and have fun. There are many things for families with small children; amongst them the separate fun fair with modern day rides. I didn't go into the fairground (entrance fees seemed quite high)and I must say on the days I visited it didn't look very busy but perhaps it comes more to life later on in the evening. There are however free play areas where kids can roam around, scream, slide, clamber, hide and generally enjoy themselves whilst giving their parents a chance to have a moment of peace.

The park has free entry - apart from the Funfair area - and I think it is open more in the afternoon and evening. There are several eating places and coffee shops and a number of stalls selling toys that might appeal to small children.

I enjoyed my visits. I took my binoculars and was pleased to find that the large lake had a wide variety of birds living on it including kingfisher, herons, egrets, duck and grebes.

Well laid out gardens in Qurum Natural Park Interesting insight into life in the Park The decorative lake in the park There were lots of joggers in the park The lake at dusk

Go Diving from Bandar Al Rowdha

by MikeBird Written Dec 31, 2014

My main motivation for visiting Muscat was to continue with my diving. I qualified with PADI Openwater in 2013 and I'd done a few dives in Spain since then but I wanted to maintain the experience so that I don't get too rusty. As it was I needed to be reminded how to set up the tank and the BCD but once I was in the water I felt totally at ease and enjoyed the wonderful corals and fish that were all around me.

I'd signed up for 2 days of diving - all in with full kit hire - it cost me 51OR per day. I did think that included a transfer from my hotel to the dive centre but I later found out it would cost me extra.

The dive centre is based at the busy marina called Bandar Al Rowdha south of Muscat and west of the Al Bustan Palace Hotel. They had plenty of kit and the storesman quickly found a suit and equipment that fitted me well. Within 30 minutes we were out on the boat and heading to an offshore island. I loved the boat ride; clear blue sky and sea rushing past. I was buddied up with an experienced member of dive staff, kitted out and soon we were tumbling over the side backwards into the water.
    We had planned our route and we went to a depth of 18m which is the maximum for someone on Level 1. We saw Moray eels, stonefish, pufferfish, triggerfish and a multitude of smaller marine creatures, some clinging to the coral and rock walls others on the sea floor. I loved it. My oxygen supply had dropped to the level of 50 bars after 45minutes and it was time for us to ascend.
    We had a break on board and then we were back down again for another dive. More of the same but still hugely enjoyable.

On our second day we went off south towards a sheer rock wall for our first dive and we finished off diving around a wreck that had been scuttled at a depth of about 20m. The ship was slowly being colonised by creatures and the friendly Moray came out to greet us.
    The diving was immensely satisfying and pleasing. One fellow diver who was very experienced said he thought it was rather boring but for me, new to the game, I was perfectly happy. I can't wait for my next diving adventure.
    Sadly I haven't got any decent photos of my trip. I'll just have to go back!

Dive Day 1 at the Marina En route for our second destination
    • Diving and Snorkeling

Birders: make sure you visit Al Ansab Wetlands

by MikeBird Written Dec 18, 2014

Now most people visiting a foreign city for the first time would not usually include a trip to the main sewage and water treatment works as part of their itinerary but if your interest is in the birds of the area then you will probably understand that such places are often a hotspot for our feathered friends. Given the dry nature of the country a large permanent body of freshwater serves as a real magnet for waterfowl and wading birds. Consequently the Omani water authorities known as Haya recognise that they have an environmental responsibility to maintain and preserve the wetlands. They only allow access via a permit system which must be applied for in advance. These can be obtained from the Haya website at: https://www.haya.om/AlAnsabWetland.aspx

I had my permit arranged by a local 'fixer' but I suspect that I could have applied for it independently. My taxi driver had to ask several people before we finally arrived at the official car park and met up with our guide. Our local guide, a very helpful English speaking, knowledgeable Omani woman quickly recognised that I was a keen birder who wanted to spend most of the day at the park. She had other visitors to meet who had a more passing interest and so spent more time with them. There were also two other photographers who quickly went off to the hide to make the most of the best light. The guide later caught up with me and I was able to glean some helpful hints and tips from her about the birds.

It was certainly best to arrive early. I got there at 07.15 and was thrilled to find the main lagoon populated by hundreds of ducks and around the edges lots of exciting wading birds. I was glad that I had taken my telescope because some of the birds were quite distant. Visitors would need binoculars. I think the best spot was at the car park and Haya have plans to construct a hide there. I walked off the few hundred metres to the next screened hide and eventually to a covered hide that overlooked the overflow to the second lagoon. None of these hides have seats so it was quite tiring and by 2pm, after the hottest part of the day I felt ready to call my taxi driver to collect me.

I really enjoyed my visit and had some fantastic views of a wide range of species. Several highlights come to mind; a Marsh Harrier attempting to capture a juvenile flamingo, the loud 'swoosh' sound as a Greater Spotted Eagle flew low over the hide, the unusual bouncing behaviour of the Common Snipe and the sheer variety and colour of the ducks.

You will need to be entirely self sufficient when you visit. There are no shops, toilets or other conveniences of any sort. I am not aware of a fee to enter the reserve but you must have your permit.

Thank you to Haya for making this all possible. I hope they continue to support this important environmental scheme by restricting access to the reserve to ensure the waterfowl have a peaceful haven and feeding centre.

Al Ansab Wetland provided by Haya Water Haya noticeboard at Al Ansab Heron, Stilt and Sandpiper at Al Ansab Look closely: Harrier going for the Flamingo An abundance of birds
    • Birdwatching

Go Dolphin watching

by MikeBird Written Dec 15, 2014

I booked a two hour dolphin watching trip from my hotel. The company collected me from my hotel at the designated time and took me by minibus along with my fellow travellers to the marina at Bandar al Rowdha which is south of the old Muscat city. Very quickly we were on board and off at high speed in a comfortable, modern boat in search of some Dolphins. After about 20 minutes I spotted some frothing and broiling in the water ahead and sure enough it turned out to be a pod of Common Dolphins circling and chasing a shoal of Sardines. The boat skipper said there were Tuna also taking advantage of the dolphin's clever strategy of forcing the shoal of small fish into an ever tighter ball before they pile in to snatch up the slower individuals.
    It was fantastic to see the dolphins scything through the water with occasional clearances above the water. Far off I spotted another dolphin leap right out of the water but they didn't perform for us like that close to the boat - they were too busy feeding.
    There were quite a few parents with youngsters; perhaps Mother and offspring side by side. This species seemed to me quite a bit smaller than other dolphins I've seen.
    With my new camera I attempted to take a few shots but I am now full of admiration for photographers who have those wonderful photos of dolphins leaping in the air etc. All of my pictures are pathetic compared with those. In the end I gave up and decided the best thing was to enjoy the moment and capture it all in my memory.

On the return journey the crew put out cold drinks and some snacks for us to enjoy. We were back almost exactly two hours later. The trip cost 17OR for one adult. I'd recommend it but you must remember that the company will never guarantee sightings.

My best shot of the dolphins! Approaching the marina by boat Another crumby dolphin shot
    • Whale Watching

• samitbabu's Profile Photo

Wadi Shab :Ideal getaway and day trip from Muscat

by samitbabu Written Oct 20, 2013

Wadi Shab, about one and half hours drive from Muscat, is one of the must see attractions from the city.

This is an ideal getaway and a day trip from Muscat.
    The route is to take the Muscat Expressway to Sur and once you cross Tiwi you will see the signs for the Wadi al Shab hotel from 15 kms ahead.

The drive is very scenic and refreshing. No food joints or eateries available along way.

Pack enough water too.

• Hiking and Walking

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Information on all major Muscat/Matrah Museums

by DSwede Updated Apr 4, 2011

The link below gives a good synopsis of each major Museum in the general Muscat and Matrah area. The information includes opening hours, prices, addresses, etc.

The Historical Association of Oman has a strong supporting force for the preservation and presentation of local history and culture. The locations referenced here are endorsed by the HAO, but there are also lectures, seminars, field trips, etc.

• Archeology
    • Museum Visits

• Rinjani's Profile Photo

Oman Dive Center, Not Only for the Diver

by Rinjani Updated Apr 4, 2011

It’s a beautiful place located in Bandar Jissah. The place is deserted, quite and beautiful. It has nice beach, barasti huts, restaurant and camping ground. The place now has been taken over by German management and they also organized half day and one day diving trip. The price starts from 6 OMR (Omani Rial) or 10 GBP (British Pound). They also organize special trips to Daymaniyats Islands and Ras Abu Daud wreck dive. They rent diving equipment (start from 3 OMR) and also conduct diving course for beginner. (Diving pool is also available for the course)

To entrance this place, a visitor will be charged for entrance fee, also for stay overnight in the camping ground. The place is nice, especially for diving lover, or people who love a quiet place.

Note : Price need to be always checked.

A Road to Dive Center
    • Camping
    • Diving and Snorkeling

Muscat International Airport

by goutammitra Updated Nov 10, 2010

Muscat airport is one of the largest and finest airports in the world with very large terminals and facilities.Muscat International Airport formerly Seeb Airport is the main airport in Muscat, Oman. It is the hub for the national carrier Oman Air. The distance from Old Muscat is 30 km and it is 15 km from the main residential localities. At the moment the airport is being expanded and modernized. The airport will be upgraded to 12 million-passenger capacity during the initial stage and subsequently to 48 million. The initial stage is scheduled for completion in 2011. The airport was renamed on 11 February 2008 from the previous name, Seeb, to Muscat International Airport

• Architecture

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

The Desert City of Muscat.

by goutammitra Written Nov 9, 2010

Muscat, the official capital of Oman, is only a small part of a larger grouping of cities and towns strung some 40kms along the coast of the Gulf of Oman, which is known locally as the "Capital Area" or the "Muscat Municipality." Never much deeper than 3 or 4 kms, this string of towns forms a sort of necklace sandwiched between the sea to the north and a very rocky, primeval-looking range of barren mountains to the south. Despite its ceremonial position as capital, the neighboring cities of Muttruh, with its superb corniche encirling a charming bay, and Ruwi, the traditional commercial center of the area, are both much more important.

A thriving and strategically located port of the Arabian peninsula in ancient times, Muscat is the capital of modern Oman. It has a somewhat medieval appearance with two old Portuguese forts, Jelali and Merani. These picturesque old structures co-exist with modern, commercial, and residential quarters of the neighboring coastal towns, and lend the city an ambience all its own . The seaside, ceremonial palace of H.M.Sultan Qaboos Said, nestled between steep rocky hills, offers a spectacular sight, especially at night.

Gulf Of Oman From Air

by goutammitra Written Nov 9, 2010

The Gulf of Oman or Sea of Oman , is a strait (and not an actual gulf) that connects the
    Our first view of Oman & Muscat was great. We had read in the Geography book about gulf of Oman so much and our first encounter was breathtaking. We were really amazaed that how they have converted a desert and a non descript place in to a great port and trading centre in the gulf.

Arabian Sea with the Strait of Hormuz, which then runs to the Persian Gulf. It is generally included as a branch of the Persian Gulf, not as an arm of the Arabian Sea. On the north coast is Pakistan and Iran. On the south coast are Oman in the east, and the United Arab Emirates for a short distance in the west.

The rocky Western Al Hajar Mountains dominate the landscape of Muscat. The city lies on the Arabian Sea along the Gulf of Oman and is in the proximity of the strategic Straits of Hormuz. Low-lying white buildings typify most of Muscat's urban landscape, while the port-district of Muttrah, with its corniche and harbour, form the north-eastern periphery of the city. Muscat's economy is dominated by trade, petroleum and porting.

Al Hazar Mountains at Gulf of Oman. The port of Oman.

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Enlightened water fountain

by georeiser Written Jul 18, 2010

An enlightened water fountain is located halfway between Mutrah and Old Muscat. The area is like a picnic area. This is a romantic place in the nights and you can see young Omani couples sitting together.

Enlightened water fountain, Muscat Enlightened water fountain, Muscat Enlightened water fountain, Muscat Enlightened water fountain, Muscat
    • Castles and Palaces

Majan Continental Hotel
Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
The Chedi Muscat
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 8 Reviews
The Turtle Beach Resort (Ras al Hadd)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews

Instant Answers: Muscat

• KamillaFlower's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Muscat International Airport is more like a regional airport, nothing compared to even the medium size airports, it's infrastructure is not convenient at all, but it might become one of the best, because their are building new terminals, runways... It will be ready next year.

Muscat Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Muscat locals.
Map of Muscat