Bayt al-Sidduf is one of three remaining traditional, fortified, merchants' houses in the centre of Mirbat. It is a crumbling ruin and in danger of total collapse.
Mirbat Castle was originally built in the 19th century. In July 1972 it was defended by Omani Army and British SAS soldiers against several hundred communist insurgents in the Battle of Mirbat.
Just outside Mirbat, on the road to Salalah, is the tomb of Mohammed bin Ali Al-Alawi, a descendant of the son-in-law of the Prophet Mohammed, who set up a madrassa (religious school) in Mirbat and died here in 1161. His twin onion-domed mausoleum stands in the middle of a large Islamic cemetery. The stone sarcophagus inside the airconditioned mausoleum is massive, which has given rise to the legend that he was a giant.