Rustaq Travel Guide

Rustaq Fort from old part of town
    by DSwede
    Jabal sham
    by Geoff_Wright
    rustaq shopkeeper
    by TomorrowsAngel

Rustaq Things to Do

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo

by TomorrowsAngel Written Jul 3, 2003

While the source of the spring has been enclosed solely for viewing, the shaded rest area complete with playground makes for a welcome break.

rustaq springs
    • Photography
    • Water Sports

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo

by TomorrowsAngel Written Jul 3, 2003

Rustaq fort was built four centuries prior to the dawn of Islam (6 B.C.) in Oman.It is a building constructed of special selected stones fixed together by mortar and mud - bricks. It is built on three levels, containing separate houses, an armoury, a mosque, several wells, Bayadha mosque, and the tomb of late Imam/Sultan bin Seif (Qaidh Al Ardh). It has four towers, the tallest stands over 18.5m high and has a diameter of 6m.The Ministry restored the castle in 1986.

Rustaq Fort
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• Rustaq Hotels

0 Hotels in Rustaq

Rustaq Local Customs

by Geoff_Wright Written Jan 15, 2003

I had a great respect for my students, and wish I had had more time to really get to know them better. Unfortunately when I left Oman, I failed to make notes of full anmes and addresses. So, wherever you travel, take a notebook and pencil with you, or you'll regret it.
    BTW, I'm on the left,but I still can't get over how brown I was - just like a native, haha

Friendly 'Natives'!!

Rustaq Favorites

by Geoff_Wright Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Another photo, not of Rustaq, but the Batinah Coast. Mind you, you had to travel along this coast to get to Rustaq!
    This is a typical Arab fishing boat and its proud owner. There is a better full view of an Omani fishing boat on my Oman page, but I think the boat in this picture was of a larger type.

Batinah Coast Fisherman

by Geoff_Wright Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: I'm not sure where this photo was take, but not really Rustaq. I believe it was on the Batinah Coast somewhere. However, it is - or was - typical of a proud Omani family.

Colourful local family

by Geoff_Wright Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: I really have to see if this fine old fort is still standing. It was probably damaged in the Jabal Akhdar War, in the late 1950's, so only 20 years before I took the picture. So, 26 years further on, is it still standing? I hope to find out soon.

Fondest memory: Oh, and by the way, Jabal Sham means 'The mountain of the Sun'

Sunrise on Jabal Sham

Instant Answers: Rustaq

Comments

Rustaq Travel Guide
Map of Rustaq