Rustaq Travel Guide

Rustaq Fort from old part of town
    by DSwede

Rustaq Things to Do

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo
    rustaq springs

by TomorrowsAngel Written Jul 3, 2003

While the source of the spring has been enclosed solely for viewing, the shaded rest area complete with playground makes for a welcome break.

• Photography
    • Water Sports

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo
    Rustaq Fort

by TomorrowsAngel Written Jul 3, 2003

Rustaq fort was built four centuries prior to the dawn of Islam (6 B.C.) in Oman.It is a building constructed of special selected stones fixed together by mortar and mud - bricks. It is built on three levels, containing separate houses, an armoury, a mosque, several wells, Bayadha mosque, and the tomb of late Imam/Sultan bin Seif (Qaidh Al Ardh). It has four towers, the tallest stands over 18.5m high and has a diameter of 6m.The Ministry restored the castle in 1986.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• Rustaq Hotels

0 Hotels in Rustaq

Rustaq Local Customs

Friendly 'Natives'!!

by Geoff_Wright Written Jan 15, 2003

I had a great respect for my students, and wish I had had more time to really get to know them better. Unfortunately when I left Oman, I failed to make notes of full anmes and addresses. So, wherever you travel, take a notebook and pencil with you, or you'll regret it.
    BTW, I'm on the left,but I still can't get over how brown I was - just like a native, haha

Rustaq Favorites

Batinah Coast Fisherman

by Geoff_Wright Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Another photo, not of Rustaq, but the Batinah Coast. Mind you, you had to travel along this coast to get to Rustaq!
    This is a typical Arab fishing boat and its proud owner. There is a better full view of an Omani fishing boat on my Oman page, but I think the boat in this picture was of a larger type.

Colourful local family

by Geoff_Wright Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: I'm not sure where this photo was take, but not really Rustaq. I believe it was on the Batinah Coast somewhere. However, it is - or was - typical of a proud Omani family.

Sunrise on Jabal Sham

by Geoff_Wright Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: I really have to see if this fine old fort is still standing. It was probably damaged in the Jabal Akhdar War, in the late 1950's, so only 20 years before I took the picture. So, 26 years further on, is it still standing? I hope to find out soon.

Fondest memory: Oh, and by the way, Jabal Sham means 'The mountain of the Sun'

Instant Answers: Rustaq

Comments

Rustaq Travel Guide
Map of Rustaq