Bethlehem Local Customs

Best Rated Local Customs in Bethlehem

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo

Never a "No Smoking" Zone with Narghila!

by jadedmuse Written Feb 21, 2004

Double Apple is Double Trouble!

Mostly the Arabic men are seen smoking narghila as a relaxing pastime before, during and especially after, a meal. I'm not a smoker, but I really enjoyed this activity! You don't really feel the smoke going down your throat, because the tobacco is flavored (my favorite is the "double apple") and it goes down with the help of water which serves to cool and dissipate the smoke. What you are left with is a vague buzz....a sensation of floating and a word of caution: if you overdo this stuff, you'll end up with a whopping headache. I only had room to bring a small narghila pipe back with me - and I'm glad I did. I've seen them here in the States for 5 times what I paid for my pipe.

• Manara's Profile Photo

Mother of pearl

by Manara Updated Oct 1, 2011

Palestine has a tradition of handcrafts. The one that in my opinion produces the most original works is the carving of mother-of-pearl. The picture you see here above is a very modest example: a simple and inexpensive brooch I bought in Bethlehem. This is just a small thing (my picture is larger than life) but this craft can produce more sophisticate and complex objects of great beauty.
    This craft has a very long tradition in the Middle East. In Palestine it was boosted by the number of pilgrims that for centuries have visited the Holy Land and provided the local craftsmen with many customers. Nowadays mother-of-pearl objects are made especially in Bethlehem, Beit Sahour and Beit Jala.
    Many of these objects can be bought also online, through fair trade organizations like Hadeel or Sunbula.

Bethlehem Fridge Magnets

this will be my pictures of the Bethlehem Fridge Magnets

I am an avid collector of Fridge Magnets and Shot Glasses of My Travels and buying them is a must, and on a Pilgrimage to Jesus Birthplace in Bethlehem, I must buy these favorite Items of mine and they have several souvenir shops around Bethlehem, the Bethlehem Mall and around the Church of the Nativity that sells this collector items I love and they are available in different designs and materials and the cost is: you can use Jordanian Dinar (JD) or Israeli New Shekhel (NIS) or even US Dollar ($) to pay for these items as Palestine still has no national currency and they use both the Jordanian and Israeli Currency.

Bethlehem Shot Glasses

This will be my pictures on Bethlehem Shot Glasses

I am an avid collector of Fridge Magnets and Shot Glasses of My Travels and buying them is a must, and on a Pilgrimage to Jesus Birthplace in Bethlehem, I must buy these favorite Items of mine and they have several souvenir shops around Bethlehem, the Bethlehem Mall and around the Church of the Nativity that sells this collector items I love and they are available in different designs and materials like frosted glass or pewter or bronze or steel and the cost is: you can use Jordanian Dinar (JD) or Israeli New Shekhel (NIS) or even US Dollar ($) to pay for these items as Palestine still has no national currency and they use both the Jordanian and Israeli Currency.

Shot Glasses will cost NIS 10 to 25 (or Jordanian Dinar 2 to 4) or US Dolllar $ 3 to 7, depending on your haggling skills

Palestine Fridge Magnets

by machomikemd Written Sep 20, 2013

I am an avid collector of Fridge Magnets and Shot Glasses of My Travels and buying them is must, and on a Pilgrimage to the Holyland, Many Christians around the world don't know that Bethlehem is not Part of Israel but part of the fledgeling Palestinian Nation, composes of Muslim and Christian Arabs. I must buy these favorite Items of mine and they have several souvenir shops around Bethlehem, the Bethlehem Mall and around the Church of the Nativity that sells this collector items I love and they are available in different designs and materials and the cost is: you can use Jordanian Dinar (JD) or Israeli New Shekhel (NIS) or even US Dollar ($) to pay for these items as Palestine still has no national currency and they use both the Jordanian and Israeli Currency.

Palestinian Fridge Magnets will cost NIS 12 to 30 (or Jordanian Dinar 2.50 to 5) or US Dolllar $ 3 to 9, depending on your haggling skills

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Bethlehem

Comments

Bethlehem Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Bethlehem local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bethlehem sightseeing.